Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: My RC live steam tugboat / icebreaker  (Read 63020 times)

kno3

My RC live steam tugboat / icebreaker
« on: July 16, 2008, 03:02:11 pm »

Hello!

Here's my first model boat project: a mostly scratch built live steam wooden tugboat. It's almost ready (still needs some details on the deck, ballast etc.).
Only the hull shape comes from the St. Canute plan/kit from Billing Boats, the rest is my own design. It is plank on frame, using abachi wood strips. The darker wood used for the deck and cabins is walnut.

The steam engine is a modified Wilesco D49, with vertical boiler and V-twin double acting piston valve engine. I have added a superheater (steam line going down the chimney and exiting through the fire box), lightened the con rods and added an adjustable oiler and manometer from Modellbau Niggel. The fuel is alcohol. The vaporising burner is my own design, using a sealed external tank which feeds the burner via a 2-way tube that keeps a constant alcohol level in the burner.

I have described the building process here, for those interested:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7166206/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: My RC live steam tugboat / icebreaker
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 03:16:18 pm »

What an absolutely superb model, and this is your first!  I can't wait to see what you do next.

Beautiful woodwork and brasswork and I'm sure she will look fantastic on the water.  I would strongly recommend bath trails before you commit her to open water though.

I'm a bit apprehensive about the use of string to control the engine.  Any loss of control there could be disastrous and loose you the model so I would try to come up with whatever linkages and cranks are necesary to get the servo movement to the control valve.  String stretches with use and with moisture so inside a steam plant is a bit risky.  Hard linkages may be a bit of a pain to put together but far safer and more secure.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 03:17:16 pm »

Excellent model. So much in so small place, very clever kno3  O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Bernhard

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 06:09:07 pm »

GREATTT...WELL DON
REGARDS BERNHARD

kno3

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 08:50:20 pm »

Thanks guys!  :)

I forgot to mention that I have some videos on youtube, showing preliminary bathtub tests of my tug:
http://www.youtube.com/user/wat3randfir3

Bunkerbarge, I have little room in the boat and metal linkages would have to be quite complicated, as the engine and boiler are not mounted on a common base (because of space reasons).

Willit

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 11:32:06 pm »

I think its brilliant, definitely something to be very proud of  :)

kno3

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 02:59:50 pm »

Thanks!

I did some modifications to the engine and mounted, for easy removall, all parts (boiler, engine, burner etc.) on a brass base.

mogogear

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 10:12:05 pm »

Great work !! Are you going to leave her natural wood or do any painting?

I also would chime in to consider alternatives to the string. Even woven metal cable, wire etc with small attachment springs on the ends to aid in hook up and keeping good tension. The string will stretch with humidity from the steam environment or liable to burn or break. Clever use of the pulleys as well-

One last question- I see that the reverse is not hooked up- do you intend to have a F &R?

A first rate first boat- Hats off!! :D

kno3

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 10:23:27 pm »

Hi and thanks!

I'm planning to leave the wood natural (I have already clearcoated it with matte lacquer).

So far the string has been reliable. Metal cable might do the work too, but I don't have any. Let's see if I can find a suitabe one (very flexible).

What do you mean by reverse not being hooked up? My boat has both forward and reverse. The servo pulls on both string ends (there's a pic showing the servo coupled to the engine). The right end is for forward and the left for reverse.

chingdevil

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 10:30:05 pm »

Kno3

Have you thought about using the steel wire sold in DIY stores to hang pictures? Might be just what you need.

Brian

mogogear

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 05:18:05 am »

What do you mean by reverse not being hooked up? My boat has both forward and reverse. The servo pulls on both string ends (there's a pic showing the servo coupled to the engine). The right end is for forward and the left for reverse.

Ahhh -I was unclear on exactly the strings were connected to- I understand now that they are on either side of the reversing valve!!

The woven type picture wire may be just the trick.. or a single strand  guitar wire string...

oiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 06:26:56 am »

beautiful tug!
the movie was fun to see.
Question where did you get the insulation for your piping?

thanks
Chad

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 10:29:57 am »

Steam pipe insulation has to be done the hard way I'm afraid.  I do mine with a reel of twine or fine string, cut a length and carefully and tightly wrap the string along the length of the pipe.  To start off I wrap over the tail to keep it tidy then at the end loop the tail through the last turn, tighten it and cut the tail off close to the surface.  A spot of superglue holds it all in place while I paint it with a matt white enamel such as Humbrol.  Don't bind the pipe right up to the back of the pipe fittings or you will have difficulty fitting and removing the pipe.  Some people use gloss but being a marine engineer, steam pipes have always been matt to me.  If they get dirty they get repainted.

I insulate mine only along the copper pipe and do not cover the brass fittings soldered to the ends.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

kno3

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 01:22:01 pm »

beautiful tug!
the movie was fun to see.
Question where did you get the insulation for your piping?

thanks
Chad

Thanks ;-)

I made the insulation myself and it's not difficult. Just take a thick cotton yarn and wind it tightly on the steam pipes. You can use some superglue to hold the end while you are winding it. I also tied each end around the pipe (I take the threads at the end of the yarn apart (around 3 cm in length) and make a double knot, then cut the excess off.
For finishing I use the white corrector fluid for paper. Apply it liberally with the applicator from the bottle. I have noticed that 2 coats are necessary to get a smoother finish, and it's important to let the first coat dry for 10 minutes or so before starting with the second.
The cotton yarn and liquid corrector are fine for normal wet steam temperature. However, if you use a superheater, it might turn yellow-brown where it exits the boiler. In that case leave a segment uncovered or use another heat resistant insulation material, such as a sliced silicone tube.

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 10:37:17 pm »

I have on occaision used the flexible linkages that the RC Plane guys use for rudder and flaps controls, a flexi wire in a hard plastic outer. Although they do not like too tight a bend I have managed to make an "S" with two right angle bends. Hope this helps, Ian.

mogogear

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 12:09:47 am »

Kno3,

Have you run your boiler in this power plant very long? Long meaning is it fairly new to you as an owner..It is an alcohol power burner - yes? or is it gas?

kno3

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 09:16:29 am »

It has been run many times (I've had the boiler for at least seven years or so) and it has an alcohol burner.

oiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 05:43:28 am »

Oh I just caught that!
THIS IS YOUR FIRST BOAT!?
WOW
can't wait to see the next! It's neat how your gonna leave it natural.
Thank you for the reply about the insulation. O0

kno3

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 10:39:58 am »

Oh I just caught that!
WOW

Yep, first one. You're welcome!
Are you planning to build a steamboat?

mogogear

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2008, 06:39:41 am »

kno3,
I just re-read this post again and I have to say I am more impressed on everything than I was even the first time..and I was amazed then..Capstans, the railings- what a superb first build!! I hope to see footage of it underway!

kno3

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2008, 01:06:48 pm »

Thanks Mo. I will try to make a short video after I get it on the water. But first I Have to add ballast, and I haven't yet decided how to do that yet. I have some lead balls, but I'd like to make the ballast removable.

andygh

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2008, 04:09:31 pm »

How about chain for the control linkages  :-\

mogogear

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2008, 04:35:39 pm »

Thanks Mo. I will try to make a short video after I get it on the water. But first I Have to add ballast, and I haven't yet decided how to do that yet. I have some lead balls, but I'd like to make the ballast removable.

A baggie fileld with lead shot in the bottom of the hull... then fill the baggie with epoxy resin ...so the weight doesn't shift around

kno3

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2008, 12:31:40 pm »

There's no room for a bag in the bottom of the hull. The clearance between the hull bottom and the engine's base plate is 3-4 mm. I'm thinking of making some pockets on the sides, to put the lead shot in, or to use lead sheet.

As for the chain - no thanks, too complicated. It works perfectly with the cotton thread

oiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2008, 03:04:50 am »

Oh I just caught that!
WOW

Yep, first one. You're welcome!
Are you planning to build a steamboat?

yeah been building one off and on for some time. It's not scratch built like yours though.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 21 queries.