Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Spray painting indoors..  (Read 8703 times)

das boot

Spray painting indoors..
« on: December 17, 2008, 08:45:14 am »

Due to the limits of where I live I have no options open to me but to spray paint my boats indoors, so I’m looking for ideas as how to do it safely, without spraying the walls matt black and inhaling too much of the vapour and making myself as high as a kite!

Any ideas guys?

Rich

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Spray painting indoors..
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 08:58:47 am »

Did someone on here, some time ago mention a cardboard booth with a cooker hood on it......... ?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 09:11:47 am »

Yes they did, but that is a bomb waiting to go off, spray can propellant is flammable, if you use an extractor fan, you need appropriately rated electrics or else you could end up burning your house/flat down!

There was a lengthy discussion some time ago.Here it is:

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=12626.0
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

das boot

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 10:10:08 am »

Hmm...makes you think reading that lot. I was thinking of a large cardboard box on my building desk with the hull or whatever to be painted inside it, a large fan blowing across it to take the fumes out the window and wearing a council supplied face mask. Oh, and leaving the windows in here wide open, of course...

Good thing the hull is only 44" long....and not nine feet or so.

Rich

craftysod

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 02:15:10 pm »

I sprayed my boat in the kitchen yesterday,just opened windows,covered floor,looks really nice.
But the other half went mad when she wiped down the unit tops,spray dust was everywhere,
calmed down when she saw her name on boat,i enclose a pic
Mark

Bee

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 02:45:55 pm »

It really makes you realise what you might have been breathing in. You were lucky it wipes off. Don't let her see the towels and other textiles that were exposed - it might not wash out of them.

Jerome Morris

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 03:36:36 pm »

Something I always make sure to do is open an opposing window so the breeze blows through the house ( positive pressure) and OUT the window where I am spraying, with the fan in the window frame. Granted some day's I can't spray because the wind is blowing the wrong way.
 Just doing this save a lot of hassle with overspray on everything.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 03:40:35 pm »

I wait for a still day and spray outside!

Or, occasionally, do it on nights at work when its quiet :-))
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 05:02:22 pm »

My simple answer is I don't.
I spray outside when the weather permits. I wont even spray in the Garage as too many bits for the spray to settle on.
I brush paint inside the garage, if I even thought of spraying in the house I would be homeless and singing soprano!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 05:10:49 pm »

Try your best and it seams to go everywhere.

I take the boat and spray quickly down to the shed midday (its the hottest time in the winter) and give it a quick couple of coats.

Then back up to the workroom with the door shut and the window open.

It works and keeps you fit running up and down the stair.

Seaspray

Philipsparker

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 06:29:52 pm »

I'm shocked and suprised that no-one has mentioned the obvious thing:

Wear a face mask

a proper one too, rated for paint and not just one of those 2 quid dust masks.

For best effects, buy a Spraybooth from here: http://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/spray.asp I've seen them at shows and used one at our railway club. If you can arrange a vent outside (put the tube through an open window) then this IS the way to do it.

If you are spraying in the kitchen then without the right gear you are breathing in the paint and vapour. Perhaps this isn't so bad if you are using acrylic car paint but for anything else you are killing yourself.

Phil

craftysod

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 07:13:30 pm »

I was using car paint,quick spray on hull,left kitchen with window open and closed door,returned half hour later.
There was no smell of fumes in the room and when i finished only one tea towell was harmed in the making of this boat.
Mark

das boot

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 07:20:00 pm »

I'm shocked and suprised that no-one has mentioned the obvious thing:

Wear a face mask

a proper one too, rated for paint and not just one of those 2 quid dust masks.

For best effects, buy a Spraybooth from here: http://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/spray.asp I've seen them at shows and used one at our railway club. If you can arrange a vent outside (put the tube through an open window) then this IS the way to do it.

If you are spraying in the kitchen then without the right gear you are breathing in the paint and vapour. Perhaps this isn't so bad if you are using acrylic car paint but for anything else you are killing yourself.

Phil

"I was thinking of a large cardboard box on my building desk with the hull or whatever to be painted inside it, a large fan blowing across it to take the fumes out the window and wearing a council supplied face mask..."

Ahem...I believe I did mention wearing a face mask... O0

We have some rather fancy face masks at work which are supplied to those needing them when working in houses in which drug addicts have been living, or in other such nice places...they have replaceable filters inside them, so I'm thinking one may be falling off a shelf as I pass by.... %)

Thanks for all the ideas guys, most kind of you all...I'll see what I can come up with tomorrow.

Rich

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 09:25:33 pm »

Rich,
I am no expert on filters but I do know there are many different types as said before make sure you get one rated for paint.

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

walktheplank

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 09:58:20 pm »

Paint spray is a lot finer than dust and dirt, you can get a good spray mask for about 6 pounds.
try these ---http://www.expotools.com/   page 257   Code no -- AB110     and you can get new cartridges for it.
no i don't work for them. i just have one and use it when spray painting. Sonic.

JohnneyBoy

• Full Mayhemer
    • John's Library
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2008, 10:19:00 pm »

Did someone on here, some time ago mention a cardboard booth with a cooker hood on it......... ?

That will be the kitchen  :-)

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 10:23:17 pm »

My simple answer is I don't.
I spray outside when the weather permits. I wont even spray in the Garage as too many bits for the spray to settle on.
I brush paint inside the garage, if I even thought of spraying in the house I would be homeless and singing soprano!!

Bob

I'm with Bob, I don't even spray in the garage but wait for the right weather and then spray outside.  You will eventually end up with a dust over everything that is difficult to remove and, because it is so fine, it gets into everything.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Stavros

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 10:53:43 pm »

Oh come on gents what are you lot think of,have you lost your marbles,are you a slice of bread short of a loaf.Right then got your attention,good.

What you are advocating is sheer lunacy and downright DANGEROUS, Come on you are grown adults I hope,What you don't seem to grasp is the sheer danger of doing such a thing,aerosols if you had not realised have a propellant inside them to get the THINNED paint out.THINNED means it has got thinners which combined with the propellant is a deadly combination in a confined space.
OK OK don't all shout at once I know some one said I leave the  windows open,so what.If you have been spraying in the kitchen without the light on and you suddenly decide to put the light on there is a dammed good chance of a BIG BANG,simply because of a build up of fumes in the switch.EH I hear you lot say,I can hear it now,rubbish he is talking out of his bottom,fact is I am not.Seriously all spray booths and overeating associated with paint fumes has got to be flash proof.What i mean is that no fumes can get at a switch of light fitting because every kind of switch arcs inside.
Now before I get shouted at I know the chances of this happening are remote BUT it could well happen,and yes I know it could also happen in your shed.But as the majority of peoples workshops/sheds are away from the house and if they blow up,yes it is a loss but try explaining to your insurance company why your kitchen or worst still your house got wrecked after you did such a silly thing,let alone try to explain to your wife.

Right then guys and dolls THINK before you do it....................... long and hard

Stavros

Bartapuss

• Full Mayhemer
  • Deltic's Rule OK!
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 11:19:29 pm »

The electrical fittings used in such environments are termed "Intrinsically Safe" or explosion proof.
Every time I learn something new, it pushes something old out of my brain - I says wot I likes and I likes wot I say!!!

amdaylight

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2008, 11:51:49 pm »

The paint booth that I built is 36" wide, 24" deep and about 24" high, it is designed to be a rear draft with a replaceable furnace filter across the back. I am done the filter goes in the trash as far away from the home as possible. The air is vented through a explosion proof fan and a 4" aluminum dryer hose out a window. I know the dryer hose is not the best but it is the best that I could get to work. I have a piece of 1/2" plywood that fits in the window and then the dryer vent hose goes into a vent hood on the out side. When I am finished I remove the plywood with the vent hood and I can them close the window. Now for the latest time I have used only acrylic type of paint with a good respirator. As I get back in model boats I may have to rethink the acrylic pain and go back to a oil based paint for durability in water. I use an double acting air brush run on a Co2 bottle. The advantage to the Co2 bottle is that there is no noise to disturb SWMBO, all you hear is the shhhhhh of the air brush itself with out the noise of a compressor. :-)) The other thing that I am going to have to rebuild is the paint booth, when the booth is 36" wide and the boat is 48" plus long, something is not going to fit. {:-{

Andre
over yonder in Portland Oregon

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2008, 08:26:11 am »

I had my 2 cent worth in an early reply, But  I do wear a mask, have the door and window open, never spray on a windy day move out of the shed as soon as possible into the fresh air. For the amount on times I spray a booth is too expensive for me. I am seriously looking at brushing my all models in the future. Surely there is a paint out there that gives a good finish like  as if it had been sprayed. Its the masking up at times that get up my nose.   %%

Seaspray

Philipsparker

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2008, 09:03:33 am »

"I was thinking of a large cardboard box on my building desk with the hull or whatever to be painted inside it, a large fan blowing across it to take the fumes out the window and wearing a council supplied face mask..."

Ahem...I believe I did mention wearing a face mask... O0

Fair point Rich but as others have said, the mask you are looking at will almost certainly only filter dust and not fumes. Go to Halfords and buy one of thier paint rated ones for £24 and you will be a lot better off.

Good Luck.

Phil

Philipsparker

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2008, 09:21:06 am »

Oh come on gents what are you lot think of,have you lost your marbles,are you a slice of bread short of a loaf.Right then got your attention,good.

What you are advocating is sheer lunacy and downright DANGEROUS, Come on you are grown adults I hope,What you don't seem to grasp is the sheer danger of doing such a thing,aerosols if you had not realised have a propellant inside them to get the THINNED paint out.THINNED means it has got thinners which combined with the propellant is a deadly combination in a confined space.
OK OK don't all shout at once I know some one said I leave the  windows open,so what.If you have been spraying in the kitchen without the light on and you suddenly decide to put the light on there is a dammed good chance of a BIG BANG,simply because of a build up of fumes in the switch.EH I hear you lot say,I can hear it now,rubbish he is talking out of his bottom,fact is I am not.Seriously all spray booths and overeating associated with paint fumes has got to be flash proof.What i mean is that no fumes can get at a switch of light fitting because every kind of switch arcs inside.
Now before I get shouted at I know the chances of this happening are remote BUT it could well happen,and yes I know it could also happen in your shed.But as the majority of peoples workshops/sheds are away from the house and if they blow up,yes it is a loss but try explaining to your insurance company why your kitchen or worst still your house got wrecked after you did such a silly thing,let alone try to explain to your wife.

Right then guys and dolls THINK before you do it....................... long and hard

Stavros

Thanks for "getting our attention" by insulting us. You are right about the possibility of the thinners being set off by arcing in a switch - the same reason the Gas Board tells us not to switch on a light if we smell gas.

Of course lots of things are dangerous if you don't understand what you are doing. One of the most explosives substance in a kitchen is that hidden killer - custard powder. Don't believe me, watch this: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EpGZG3N0hGI (any powder will do the same by the way so don't feel smug if you make your own custard from eggs yet still have flour in the cupboard).

Personally I would never spray in a kitchen but then I will happily use an airbrush and paint thinned will cellulose in the garage. As long as I have my mask on then the rsik (to me) seems acceptable. For most people working outside is the best bet. Those who must work indoors should take the risk and understand what they are doing. A quick blast in the kitchen without mask probably won't kill you. Several sessions spraying a big hull is a different matter. At the end of the day it's up to us as grown ups. I bet smokers burn more houses down than modellers...

One thing I would like clarification on, what is the propellant and thinner in a modern car paint spray can ? I think the former is butane in some cases but don't know about paint (I normally mix my own for airbrushing). Since car paints from normal stores are acrylic, is the thinner still flamable ?

Phil

My spraying area:

das boot

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2008, 09:49:16 am »

Well...some very interesting points there boys. I've taken all of them onboard, especially the ones regarding wearing face masks(thanks Phillip)and location of spraying.
I think I'll try and bribe one of the fitters at work to allow me into the workshop after hours to spray the hull sections, sail, etc...the weathering I should be OK to do indoors, that'll be done with a brush anyway.

A very enlightening post chaps...very different points of view. Thank you all...

Rich

bigH

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2008, 04:05:39 pm »

:-))  There are many times that I have not agreed with Stavros personally on things he has said or done on this site BUT this time I have to agree Fully with his views on this topic.   In fact I think he was a kind in his remarks, we can all be a little stupid on times, but because we have gotten away with it we put it out of our mind ,,,,, until that time when BOOM.....................        I once had to enter emrgency 20yrs ago to have my face & eyes cleaned when a spray can went off in my face,  ( was trying to unblock the nozzle with a needle) it took 14 days and damaged eyesight before I was allowed home again.
  Please take Stav's advice and take precautions please guys and have a MERRY XMAS ALL
  bigH
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.