Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Photos on the Forum & Resizing  (Read 285405 times)

nick_75au

• Full Mayhemer
    • Logan City Marine Modellers
Re: Photos on the Forum & Resizing
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2012, 09:52:42 am »

Hi Rob,
I originally resized the image from 2054X1024 IIRC using the windows resizer for Win7 to (medium 1024X768) there is another option to resize (small 854X480)then posted it, Cropping looks great.

I want to be able to simply upload multiple images to several forums, some are much more clunky than others, The RC groups one is the best IMO, this is partly the reason for me not putting regular update's of our club to this site. I do understand that RC Groups must have a massive amount of storage to be able to host images like they do.

Cheers
Nick

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2012, 10:43:55 am »

Look for   • Add image to post    under the smilies...

.... pop-up window appears.
     Select Many Images,
     Browse   to the photos on your computer,
     ( ensure   Family Safe   is selected )
     click  Upload It!

1 ....... links to photo appear directly in the post, underneath where you are typing.

2 ....... a box will appear asking you to   Copy to Clipboard
             after clicking Copy to Clipboard - return to post,
              right click then paste   ( Ctrl + V )

NB.  They are hosted on http://www.postimage.org/    not Mayhem......  :-)

Click on the photo for a larger version.....

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

nick_75au

• Full Mayhemer
    • Logan City Marine Modellers
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2012, 11:47:10 am »

Hi Martin,

I have used post image before, what I'm looking for is a simple solution that works on multiple forums (every one seems to have a different format), and Drop Box just happens to automatically upload the photos from my phone when I get within wifi range, from there its a simple move what I want to the public folder and it makes a link automatically to use the img tag.

Does it make any difference whether I use Postimage or Dropbox?

Cheers
Nick

Raen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2012, 12:43:06 am »

If using photobucket you can upload images as thumbnails, I cant remember exactly how to get photobucket to display the link to the thumbnail but I can find out if you want me too.

Cheers,
Tim

Edit: see here http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=31204.new;topicseen#new for an example of thumbnails from photobucket

Raen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2012, 01:00:34 am »

Well I thought people might be interested and I had a few minutes to spare so here is a quick tutorial on how to get thumbnails from photobucket.

First things first go to any photo on your account and click share:

The following image should disply:

Click on Get Link Code.
You should now see this:

Now check the boxes for the image code you want to be displayed by default in the album. If you want thumbnails you would need to ensure that check box for clickable thumbnails under the  IMG for bulletin boards & forums heading is checked.
Once you are happy with your selections click save.
You should now see the following under your pictures:

And the thumbnail will give you something like this:

:-))

Hope this helps,

Tim

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2012, 11:06:45 am »

Nice one Tim.   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Raen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2012, 01:02:28 pm »

No worries Martin, I seem to remember someone else asking on here whether photobucket could do this and thats when I started investigating if it could.

Perhaps this could be added to the existing photobucket tutorial to help expand on it?

Thankyou,

Tim

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2012, 01:16:46 am »

IMHO, Photobucket has been the must stable I've ever used....

.... we also need someone to do a tutorial for Flickr!

Raen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2012, 03:32:53 am »

OK Martin here goes,
A quick tutorial on the basics of uploading and sharing photos  with Flickr:
First things first, go to the website http://www.flickr.com, you should see something like this:

F1 by Raen_09, on Flickr

Click on Sigh up which will open the sign up window below:

F2 by Raen_09, on Flickr

Now I already had a gmail account so I just used the button highlighted in purple and entered the details requested. I have not checked but I assume that the other two methods, Yahoo in red and Facebook in green will be very straight forward also. If you donot have an account with any of these web services I assume you would need to create one probably with either yahoo or gmail.
Ok so we have successfully signed up and are greeted with this page:

F3 by Raen_09, on Flickr

To upload a photo or photos onto Flickr you need to press the highlighted upload button, leading you to the following page:

F4 by Raen_09, on Flickr

I never tried drag and drop.
I used the choose photos and videos to upload button I have highlighted. After clicking on it it opens a windows explorer window similar to the one below:

F5 by Raen_09, on Flickr

Select the photos you want to upload from your computer and click open, resulting in:

F6 by Raen_09, on Flickr

Now click the upload button to the right of the page.

F7 by Raen_09, on Flickr

It will ask for confirmation, select upload to photostream:

F7 by Raen_09, on Flickr

Progress bar appears:

F9 by Raen_09, on Flickr

When completed it displays the uploaded images. Click on one of the photos to open it:

F10 by Raen_09, on Flickr

In order to put the image on the forum you will need to get the code for that image. To do this click Share which will open a drop down box as below:

F10 by Raen_09, on Flickr

F11 by Raen_09, on Flickr

Click “Grab the HTML/BBCode, opening something like this:

F12 by Raen_09, on Flickr

The highlighted dropdown box allows you to pick a size for the image to be posted, in this case I stayed with the default 500 size image but there are quite a variety of sizes to choose from including thumbnail:

F14 by Raen_09, on Flickr

F13 by Raen_09, on Flickr

It is also very important to ensure that BBCode is selected not HTML as you want the image in Forum friendly format. Once you are happy with your selections copy the highlighted text and paste it into a message on the forum.

Example of a thumbnail:

F14 by Raen_09, on Flickr

Hope this helps,

Tim

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2012, 02:04:01 pm »

Tim....  :o

Top, top job sir!

Thanks, 
   Martin    :-)

NB: Topics now merged.

Raen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2012, 02:37:16 pm »

No worries Martin

I wasn't allowed to work outside today on account of being sick so it didnt take too long or distract me from more important tasks.

Cheers,

Tim

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2012, 10:31:19 am »

From another thread....

This resizer seems simple enough! - http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/
It says it works on all flavours of Windows.

Basically, install it, open Windows Explorer ( or find your photos on your PC / Laptop ) select the ones you want to resize, then  Right Click  _   Resize Pictures
(  NB. Make sure you select Custom Size to 640 7 480 )

2nd photo shows file size difference before - after resizing.

Raen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2012, 12:43:39 pm »

Hi Martin

Its also really easy to change picture sizes with Paint.
If you right click on the file you want to re-size and select open with paint it will pen it in paint and allow the photo to be edited.
Once open select re-size from the menu along the top, it might be in a drop down menu if you aren't using the ribbon bar.
This will open a window where you can adjust the image size from 100% to anything you choose and it will preserve the image size ratio if you adjust the vertical and horizontal by the same increment.
The only thing is that once reduced in size you cannot increase it again without distorting the image so just save the smaller image under a new name using the save as feature.

If you want a short tutorial with pictures guiding you through the steps let me know and I will see what I can rustle up.

Cheers,
Tim

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2012, 12:52:41 pm »

Paint is ok if you just have one picture... the software Martin was talking about can do batch resizing
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Raen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2012, 12:58:50 pm »

Very true essex but if someone new was looking through this thread and just saw the phot resizer they may not realise that it can be done without downloading another program. :-))

Tim

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2012, 02:18:11 pm »

Fair enough Tim, if you do have time to put together a 'Paint' resize tutorial, that would be very much appreciated.  :-))

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2012, 06:06:19 pm »

really cool , i missed my image resizer i had on xp when i changed to win 7  :-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2012, 02:07:10 pm »

:-)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2012, 02:52:16 pm »

Updated "How to Attach Photos to posts"

1. Resize you photos to 640 x 480  & less than 150K per photo.
2. Click  "Attachments and other options"  under each new post.
3. Click post.

Stavros

« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2012, 05:55:19 pm »

Martin wouldn't it be far easier just to get rid of the pic uploady thing on here and insist on using Photbucket or flicker,it would thus free bandwidth on the site make it run faster and less hassle with all these problems

Personally speaking it is far better to actually see a pic of a model than have to continually open these small pics that everyone seems to post up on the forum.......food for thought I think

Dave

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2012, 06:21:03 pm »

If i went to photo bucket only I would never add any photos as I do not have a photobucket acount and I dont want one. If that was the case I think the site would go down hill. I think the file size should be upped to aleast 200K as camaras are gtting higher in the Mega pixel. When I resize I found on small most are still to large for this site and I have to use custom .Rasing the bar to 200k would solve the problem.

john

Stavros

« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2012, 06:31:00 pm »

Jihn  sorry to say this but you are missing the point that I have made.

If Martin increased the photo size to at least 200k as you suggested then believe you ME there would soon be a megga problem on this site......simply the bandwidth would be full up within weeks NOT months,then there wouldnt be any more posting on the forum.Every photo that is held on the server will reduce the amount of posting one can do,sites like Photobucket, flicker etc hold the pics on their own servers,thus NOT eating into Mayhems Valuable bandwidth.

Photbucket is a FREE photo hosting site,so you got NO costs at all.You DO NOT even have to resize the pics, just upload to their site and it does it for you............now how simple is that.As for the site going down hill sorry NO you are wrong in saying that in my opinion

Dave

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2012, 06:53:57 pm »

Hi Dave
there are other forum out there with bigger photo size and the amount you can post per post,RC groups for one.
As For photo bucket there is nothing wrong with it but I dont want it and there are other on here that feel the same. If you remove the ability to add photo on via the photo uploader then people will not have a choice. This means any one who does not have a photo bucket acount can not add photos. This in turn would lead to more post with out photos. As we all know a photo speaks a 1000 words threads would be not as good.  Look at the mess the forum is in after the first melt down.

john

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2012, 07:10:53 pm »

I can see good points in both discussions., I feel that 180-200 would be more suitable, But we have to remember that the Costs for extra memory Storage comes out of Martins Pocket as I am sure donations do not cover all costs., Yes a third party site is great but look at the amounts of threads with "Picture no longer available" as either the albums have been moved, adjusted or deleted that really annoys me. However on the flipside depending on the size of the photo saved on a 3rd party site you can get some nice big shots.. catch 22  %%
I personally use Pix Resizer its free Free it works and will do 1- to at least 600 (most I have ever done) I know the size for mayhem so only takes a few minutes

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2012, 07:32:09 pm »

If i went to photo bucket only I would never add any photos as I do not have a photobucket acount and I dont want one. If that was the case I think the site would go down hill. I think the file size should be upped to aleast 200K as camaras are gtting higher in the Mega pixel. When I resize I found on small most are still to large for this site and I have to use custom .Rasing the bar to 200k would solve the problem.

john
Agree :-)) :-)) :-))
Gunna build those other boats one day.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 23   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 22 queries.