Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Linkspan Models Norland / Norstar - Development of a kit.....  (Read 184707 times)

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models

Good evening all,
With the drawing work for our first model, Free Enterprise V, almost complete and the project now moving to the slipway for construction, our thoughts are now turning to our second offering.  A few modellers have expressed an interest in the vessels of the North Sea Ferries fleet that plied their trade between Hull and Rotterdam / Zeebrugge.

We are delighted to announce that we have now commenced lofting the drawings for the M.V. NORLAND.

Completed in 1974 at the A.G. Weser, Bremerhaven yard in West Germany for North Sea Ferries, she commenced services in that year between Hull and Rotterdam. She remained on this route for 13 years - with a break of 1 year between April 1982 and April 1983 when she was requisitioned by the MOD for war service in the Falklands. In 1987, following lengthening at her original build yard, she switched to the Hull / Zeebrugge route and here she remained until her sale in 2002.

Our model will represent her in her pre-lengthened condition enabling the modeller to depict her in her Falklands guise with helicopter decks etc. should they so wish.

As will be usual with all Linkspan Models ferries, the scale will be 1:96.

More as we go along......
Carl

wartsilaone

Re: Linkspan Models Norland / Norstar - Development of a kit.....
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 04:29:10 am »

Put me down for one of them please Carl. You have just made me a very happy man and I'll go to work with a spring in my step even if it is half four in the morning.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 04:20:58 pm »

Ali - yours is Number 2 (Number 1 will be the prototype....)  :-)) :-)) :-))
Already, I am finding that this one is far easier to design than FEV.......

Will want to do the Norwave/Norwind too sometime..............but need to do a bit more research first.....

For the Norland / Norstar, if anyone can spare some detail photos of them I will be forever in your debt. I have the book 'Ships of the Night' kindly donated by Ali (wartsilaone) and it is very useful.......but closer, detailed images would never go amiss!!!!!!!
Cheers
Carl  O0 O0 O0

wartsilaone

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 04:29:39 pm »

Hi Carl. I'll see whet I can do.

Ali

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 04:55:12 pm »

OOPS!!! Wrong credit given for the book...............sorry Peter (HansP). :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

However Ali (wartsilaone) is also a very good chap and is equally helpful........

Now - where that spade so that I can dig myself out of this deep hole?????
C

wartsilaone

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 05:07:02 pm »

Hi Carl. I was a bit confused. I thought for a minute that I'd lost one of may favourite books. Anyhoo check out  HVVferry web site for the G/A plans of Norwind/Norwave.

HansP

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 10:56:36 pm »

Carl,

No problem, just the fact that you're taking this model on is compensation enough for me! You are bringing back a North Sea Ferries icon and, for me, restoring many memories of the trips we had as a family on her between Rotterdam and Hull over the years.

Of course, if you're really feeling guilty then you could always send me a complimentary kit instead  :}

Keep up the good work!

Best wishes,

Peter.

wartsilaone

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 07:51:48 pm »

Hi all. I am currently working on some decals which can be used on this model. They will look something like this.

A bit more development is needed to get the letters in the right font and the right size. I'll let you know how I get on in a few weeks.

Ali

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 10:26:07 pm »

Smashing job Ali - just what is needed  :-)) :-)) :-)) - will most likely get Barrys Model Lettering to produce the final kit graphics using your originals, if thats ok with you? Will be speaking with him soon about the Free Enterprise V graphics......

All the decks are now lofted, along with the f/g hull profile - and I have now figured out the method of superstructure removal to gain internal access.

Just going to start on the hull frame profiles then superstructure basics, then back onto deck detailing and support.

It is surprising just how much time is needed to be spent thinking through a build whilst preparing the drawings - it really isnt just a case of 'drawing a boat...'.

Enjoying it though  O0 O0
Carl

PS - Ali: about the Norwind / Norwave, I have checked out the HHV site and the plans are just the ticket. The only thing I really need now is a GA profile or similar drawing to work out deck heights, hull profile etc. Unlike Jecobin, I cannot work out the drawings to enough accuracy from a 3/4 view photograph (that man is amazing when it comes to ship drawings...) C.

wartsilaone

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 11:40:05 pm »

Hi Carl. I Have a side profile of Norwind in 1:1000 scale. As soon as i get my new scanner I will I will get it to you.
Ali

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 10:27:57 am »

Now.....THAT would be the icing on the cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Ali - look forward to that...
C

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 10:34:40 am »

we built a P and O ferry in LEGO some time ago, we were issued loads of  drawings for her, - i still have these on file somewhere...i will check to see if they can be sent elsewhere, - you may have more use for them in the future than we do as they sit in a file somewhere gathering dust........
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 10:44:01 am »

Cheers for that Guy - if you can and are able, they will be given a very safe and loving home  :-))

I am in regular contact with Brian Rees (publicity officer) at P&O about the models, and he is very supportive of the venture and has helped me with obtaining photographs and drawings in the recent past, including introducing me to others who have helped....

Look forward to hearing from you soon...
Carl

wartsilaone

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 10:49:02 am »

Hi Carl. The lettering is proving quite difficult with the resources I have at hand but here is a taster of of where I am at the moment.
Ali.

wartsilaone

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 12:17:47 pm »

Hi all. I've been putting in some hours over the last couple of days and come up with these.

Or if you prefer.

And even.

Lit me know what you think. I can email them to if you like.

Here to help Ali.

hama

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 07:17:16 pm »

All this is so exciting, keep up the good work!
Hama

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 09:47:07 pm »

Hi Ali - How are you doing these texts? Are they in 'word'? Will they be in a file format that we can send to the manufacturer (yet to speak to Barry = no idea what format he requires yet!!!!!  :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

It seems the paint and lettering will be ready long before the model is!!!!! They do look VERY good........
Carl

wartsilaone

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 10:52:19 pm »

Hi Carl. The lettering was made on Paint. I'm going to redraw everything to get rid of the pixels using the these first ones as templates. I will need some guidance as to how big the lettering has to be as i have nothing to use as reference point.
Here is something which shows I was a bit bored over the weekend, you may be able to use this to scale the letters up.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 11:17:46 pm »

Crikey Ali - it was sailing weather this weekend!!!!!!

As for the lettering sizes - I have imported your image into the CAD drawing and scaled it up and come up with the following:

The bow lettering 'NORLAND' = 65mm long x 8mm high
The Company lettering 'NORTH SEA FERRIES' = 356mm long x 30mm high
The stern lettering 'NORLAND' = 60mm long x 7mm high
The stern lettering 'HULL' = 25mm long x 6.5mm high

Hope this helps friend!!!! - Dont forget the 'NORTH SEA FERRIES' either side of the stern vehicle door!!! he he he..
Carl

wartsilaone

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 11:23:48 pm »

Yes I was thinking of that Carl. I could do with a plan of the rear if you have one otherwise I'll have to knock something up.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2011, 11:35:23 pm »

It will be a few more weeks yet before I can get to that stage..... As soon as I have something I will drop it down to you.
Need to loft out the decks accurately, including those within the hull and the tank top, to interpolate the shapes into hull frames. Not having lines drawings for the hull, it is the only way - takes bloomin' ages though!!! Once this is done, it will give us the transom shape - et voila, stern ramp size etc.
C

wartsilaone

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2011, 01:19:02 am »

Hi Carl. Here is something I put together to work out how the "north sea ferries" fits in. It shows the difference in size between the main body of the hull and the flat stern, also how the rudders are off set from the props a fair bit.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2011, 03:58:13 pm »

Nice drawing Ali - is that your sketching? Very helpful to me I can tell you!!!

She will be a more simple hull to mould than that of the Free Enterprise.

I can see I am going to have to be EXTRA careful with getting the proportions right with this one - you guys know her far more intimately than I. %)
Carl

wartsilaone

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 04:07:24 pm »

Hi Carl. Yes it is a sketch of mine. It's not perfect but it will give you an idea of where all the windows and stuff are. I'll start work on the front view soon.

wartsilaone

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2011, 06:04:27 pm »

Hi Carl. I'm sure your calculations will be much more comprehensive but here are my preparations for the 1:1000 scale models that I am planning to produce. The hull shape does look relatively simple but we'll see when I put the layers together.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.