Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: SHG Steam Launch "Janet"  (Read 9473 times)

richald

SHG Steam Launch "Janet"
« on: December 08, 2011, 05:09:20 pm »

Following on from the SHG King Midas tug thread I
notice they do a cheapie Steam Launch in the same range
i.e. low cost kit with moulded styrene hull and superstructure.
- see info below nicked  :embarrassed: from the SHG catalogue

Anybody built one, got one, or photos of one? 

A model kit of a Victorian style steam launch, this type of launch
would have been found in use in England on the river Thames
or in the lake district in such places as Windermere and Coniston.

Kit Price £39.95 Post & Packing £5.50

Length 680mm Beam 160mm

See fittings page for extra items and Radio Control pack for this model

Richard

tony52

Re: SHG Steam Launch "Janet"
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 09:07:29 pm »

Hi Richard,
Here are a couple of photographs of mine, which has been modified to a paddler. I bought her ready built and converted, just had to install some electrics and r/c. Somewhere in archives I photograph of a prop driven one and if I can find it I will post.

Model is very stable and a delight to sail (obviously in calmer waters).

Tony.

richald

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 09:37:11 pm »

Wow ! - it's a bit different from the original - but interesting none-the-less !

It is difficult to see where the original stops and the paddle-wheel additions start,
but the overall impression and finish are top notch.

I shall look forward to the photos of the prop driven boat if you manage to turn them up.

At a price of £45/£50 it's probably worth taking a chance on anyway

Thanks

Richard

richald

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 08:40:11 am »

Perhaps I should say what information I'm after with regard to the kit . . .

It is difficult to get a real idea as to how big the boat really is from the
statement of the length & beam of the hull.

what I had in mind when looking at the kit was whether it was possible to
use something like a 7.2v 6-cell rechargeable race pack to power the boat
and where you would put it in the hull - I am guessing that the drive motor in
the paddler is in a different position to that in a screw driven hull.

I shall go back and re-read the SHG catalogue!

Richard

Dreadstar

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 09:29:56 am »

The launch works out at 27.25"x 6.25" roughly.

Wetwater

• Full Mayhemer
  • My mind often wanders. Once it left completely.
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 12:58:46 pm »

I built mine from one of the first sets of mouldings years ago.  Veneered the deck and boiler etc.  Added fittings to boiler, sight glass, control valves etc.  385 motor with stick of 4 x 1.2 C cells all lying in line at keel level.  Acoms receiver and battery pack under foredeck.
Access via removable seat.  Rudder servo, lying on side, and Hitec ( Gold Brick ) speed controller under rear hatch.  All a very tight fit. A lot of head scratching to achieve all this, especially with the speed controller.  Using miniature radio gear would make things a lot easier.

Mine sailed very well with no problems at a nice sedate pace.  Obviously best suited to calm water.

The crew, Gran and Grandaddy, have since jumped ship, and have now retired to my wife's dollhouse.  The launch has had radio gear
removed and is also packed away in retirement.

Alan.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 01:40:33 pm »

O0...you have have made a nice example with the boiler here Wetwater  :-))

& certainly Granny appears to be a good helmsman [person]  :o .........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

richald

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 02:28:38 pm »

Thanks Wetwater, your info gives me a much better
idea of what I would be up against

Possibly a switch to four or six AA cells made up into a
rechargeable pack would help.  I am using 2500mah
single cells at the moment, so plenty of capacity'

A cassette motor, an Action ESC, and a micro servo should
allow a bit more elbow room to squeeze everything in.

I shall order a kit as soon as my current project nears completion.

At the moment I am trying to 'R/C' a Mantua Capri motor Yacht -
now that is a squeeze job!

Richard

Wetwater

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 09:57:36 pm »

O0...you have have made a nice example with the boiler here Wetwater  :-))

& certainly Granny appears to be a good helmsman [person]  :o .........Derek

Thanks Derek.  :-))  Not sure if Granny was good or not ........... but all other skippers were good at keeping well away.   :-)
Grandaddy always faced away from the direction of travel.  His motto ...... "What you don't see, you don't worry about".

Richald.     Using miniature radio gear, esc etc, would certainly make installation a lot easier.  Very little, if any, available at the
time of my build.  I seem to remember SHG suggested mounting the receiver inside the boiler.

Your present build looks good.  :-))  You shouldn't have any trouble with "Janet" if you succeed R/C ing "Capri".

Alan.

richald

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 11:23:27 pm »

Wetwater

Putting the receiver inside the boiler strikes me as a good idea ! - all
the signal/battery cables out the bottom and the very short 2.4ghz
aerial inside the funnel...

incidentally - I assume that the boiler and funnel are made out of styrene ?

regards

Richard

Wetwater

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 11:54:55 pm »

Wetwater

Putting the receiver inside the boiler strikes me as a good idea ! - all
the signal/battery cables out the bottom and the very short 2.4ghz
aerial inside the funnel...

incidentally - I assume that the boiler and funnel are made out of styrene ?

regards

Richard

YES, Boiler and funnel just simple vac formed mouldings.  I covered my boiler with veneer sheet, planks drawn on with a fine
marker pen, and boiler bands from thin brass strip.  The hull inner planking is alternate strips of veneer and thin card, stuck onto
a plasticard backing and then varnished.
Alan.

murphy1570

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 01:08:00 am »

Hello folks
After seeing the model of "janet" on the site and the different builds of her I decided to order a kit, the kit has arrived and to me looks like fair value for the price. however I am not to sure where to cut the various components out despite the "trimming instructions" provided with the kit.
I am a bit confused by the "A B C" INSTRUCTIONS, for example do I cut the hull out of it's moulding hard up against the hull or do I leave any excess flash on it, similarly with the rest of the mouldings. Any advice would be most welcome as I have never built a model like this before and am relatively new to model boat building but I like the look of this boat.
Thanks all the best, John.

Wetwater

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 11:17:07 pm »

Hi, John.   

Can't quite remember what the top edge of the hull was like, instructions long gone, but think there was a narrow right angle lip which was glued to the underside of the deck.  I will have a look at my model tomorrow which might jog my memory.

Most vac formings are usually trimmed close to the line and then sanded back to the exact size with a large flat sanding block. Or pin
a sheet of sandpaper to a flat surface and gently sand the flash away.  Care needed to obtain nice straight edges, for example on the two boiler halves.  Don't know what the instructions advise now, but I bridged the joint on the inside of the boiler with scrap styrene.
Likewise on other parts which are formed from two sections.  Adds strength, and easier to line up.

I mentioned on a previous post that the funnel was vac formed, but this was probably a plastic tube.  Or maybe I used a tube as a
substitute for the vac mouldings.  Long time since I built mine. Memory fading.   Hope this helps.

Alan.
Alan.

murphy1570

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 12:26:00 am »

Hello Allan

Thanks for your reply I have studied the hull again following your reply and as you say on close inspection there is indeed a shallow indented line inside the hull showing where it is to be cut, I think I will follow your advice and just cut the flash of and sand down to the line as it is only about a millimetre that would need sanding off to bring it down to the correct hieght for the deck to be attatched,!!! if I can manage to cut the deck correctly, seriously the photos on the build have cleared this up for me I think!! it appears that the deck fits over the hull to make I hope a watertight seal. Any more advice woud be most welcome from any fellow members.

Wetwater

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 11:17:52 pm »

John.

Had another look at my "Janet".  Can't be sure, as I have covered the deck to hull joint with a (cord) fender, but I vaguely remember
that the deck was slightly wider than the hull, leaving a narrow lip which the cord was glued to. Might be wrong on this but you may be
able to see what I mean via your hull and instructions.  Maybe a call to SHG would help clarify this.

A few more photos which might help.

Inside of boiler showing joints reinforced with styrene. The short dark lines are dressmakers pins acting as rivits.  Just visible I hope,
on the outside of the boiler cap. The gauge, pipes, siight glass, valves etc were all made from odds and ends from the bits box.

Engine housing using wood veneer and card over the vac formed moulding.

Alan.

Alan.

richald

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 07:27:37 am »

Thinks....

Must press on with my current build so

I go out and buy an S.L. Janet kit....   >>:-(

Richard

richald

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 03:00:06 pm »

Should have said .....

Must press on with my current build so
I can go out and buy an S.L. Janet kit....    >>:-(

murphy1570

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2011, 01:42:25 am »

Hello Alan
what type of      glue  did you use on th SL Janet woild MEK or Plastic Weld work? any advice would be appreciated. I have taken the plunge and cut out the hull moulding a nd the deck moulding and to my great surprise they almost fit together which for me is amazing, a wee bit of sanding should see them okay. any advice would be be most helpful.

Thanks and a happy new year to youand all fellow members,  all the best John.                       

Dreadstar

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2011, 06:57:23 am »

If you order glue from SHG,what they send you is Plastic Weld,or if you already have it John,just use Mek Pak.

Chuffy

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2011, 09:28:15 am »

Just a little tip when gluing styrene. While I admit that two pieces of styrene stick together quickly with Mek Pak or Plastic Weld, if the joint is one that you will want to do some finishing work to as the next stage in the construction process or needs to be handled a bit, then leave the glued joint to set for a few hours. I glue up any such work last thing at night ( make sure you have got the bits lined up in the right place ) and in the morning the joint's as strong as the material and up to rough handling, such as sanding down a deck to hull joint. Also, if you spill the solvent onto styrene, where you don't want it, let it evaporate of and don't be tempted to touch it, it will leave a slight hollow but that can be filled with fine surface filler, your first instinct to wipe it off will just make matters a lot worse.

Paul

Wetwater

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2011, 11:06:43 pm »

Hi, John.

As has been said above, Mek Pak / Plastic Weld will do the job, and as Chuffy has suggested best left for the joint to fully
harden before further handling.  Make sure you get the hull and deck lined up properly before applying the glue.  This will flow
along the joint by capillary action and any out of line parts will soon bond. Something you don't want. 

Any other questions, just ask.  There will always be someone with an answer.

Good luck and a happy new year to you and all the other Madmen, OOP's, :embarrassed: I mean Mayhemers.

Alan.

Alan.

murphy1570

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2011, 11:30:01 pm »

Hello folks

Thanks again to Alan and all the other members who answered my query re glues,I have both types and I think going by your answes either is  suitable, thanks again folks and may I wish a Happy New Year to one and all. I am signing of for now and away to see the New Year in.

All the best, John.

murphy1570

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 12:56:36 am »

Hi, John.

As has been said above, Mek Pak / Plastic Weld will do the job, and as Chuffy has suggested best left for the joint to fully
harden before further handling.  Make sure you get the hull and deck lined up properly before applying the glue.  This will flow
along the joint by capillary action and any out of line parts will soon bond. Something you don't want.  

Any other questions, just ask.  There will always be someone with an answer.

Good luck and a happy new year to you and all the other Madmen, OOP's, :embarrassed: I mean Mayhemers  

Alan 

Hello Alan

Thanks for all your help and advice , I would like to veneer the deck similar to yours but am unsure of what glue to use what did you use? sorry to sound so ignorant but Irealise you only get one go at this and I want to get it right, also Alan your photos of your build have been a great help do you have any photos of the internal layout of your model ie motor esc prop tube etc and how you placed them, and    finally Alan I am thinking of using acrylic paints and am not sure if they need un undercoat ie Halfords grey primer first, any advice on this would again be appreciated.

Thanks again Alan
All the best, John.

John, I've put your letter outside of the quote above.  :}
ken

murphy1570

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2012, 12:23:58 am »

Hello Alan

I am not sure what you mean, what is meant by putting my letter outside of the "quote above" please excuse my ignorance, I would be grateful if you could clarify what this means, have I posted in the wrong place or whatever?.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2012, 09:27:18 am »

This is a quote from an original post

This is a normal response

This is a quote from an original post > > with your reply added into the original post

This is a quote from another post....

.... with your reply added UNDERNEATH .... as it should be!  :-)

(  NB. Blue text reserved for moderation notices .)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.