Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 49" Perkasa  (Read 3378 times)

TomP

• Full Mayhemer
49" Perkasa
« on: May 12, 2014, 01:10:06 pm »

Need some help with a stalled project, I have currently have 3x MFA 850 motors on 3x 40A ESC's on 3x 12v Nimh battery packs and although it goes Ok not the best. I think it’s time to update it to brushless and LIPO, would save a bit of weight and prob give it better run time but could anyone recommend a set up as I have no idea when it comes to brushless cheers Tom

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
Re: 49" Perkasa
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 02:21:46 pm »

:-)) Got same boat,what you need is Propdrive 500kv outrider and 125amp brushless Turnig E.S.C. from Hobbyking, I am using 2x 7.2v 4500mah NiMH in series giving 14.4v with 55mm 4 blade prop gives 30mins run time and goes like stink!,I didn't buy lipo batteries as I already had NiMH ,but you could use 4 cell 4500 mah lipo if you like,hope I have been of help,Ray. :-)) :-)) :-))
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 09:55:46 pm »

Hi Tom,

If you want to keep running three motors, the outrunner suggested by Ray is 'slightly' overkill, as you'll never need 3900W to move that hull at realistic speeds...

The upside is, the motors will barely warm up as they have so much headroom, so watercooling may not be necessary.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__19610__ntm_prop_drive_series_42_58_500kv_1300w.html

Powerwise, a single 1300W motor would be sufficient, as the video of my 110 MAS shows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-igDcvLySEM
Or a small onboard clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTYDvmR4p8U

Three smaller wattage motors, say 500 - 700 W each would also be enough to get adequate performance.
If you let me know which props you're using (size, pitch & number of blades) I could look for suitable powerplants for you.

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

TomP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 11:10:17 pm »

Hi thank you for you're replies, I sent an request to Hobbyking and they are looking into what would be best for me really impressed with the help I have had so far will come back with what they suggest.

TomP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 11:39:23 am »

know this was sometime ago but I bought some brushless motors for my Perkasa, HobbyKing gave me the following recommendation 2x Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 3548-1050kV Outrunner and 2x 90A HobbyKing Boat esc with 4A SBEC, can't report how they perform yet still in boxes (building new garage!). Now I can't remember if they reconmended just 1 motor or the 2 but I have 3 shafts so thought the 2 outer to be brushless then the center either free to spin or small brushed motor for emergency. Will finish the garage and get this running

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 03:41:02 pm »

Tom nice to see another Gloucester lad  :-)) :-))
I will finish this model
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.