Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent sign-up, first post  (Read 2813 times)

Oldishseadog

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Recent sign-up, first post
« on: July 27, 2014, 10:41:29 pm »

Recently signed up to the forum and invited by admin/the mods to start with a short post setting out modelling interests, so here goes ...
always a keen modeler in my early years - Airfix, etc, but nothing too complicated.  Tried a couple of things that flew but crashes tended to be terminal so found those rather disheartening.  Years went by, modeling skills were subverted into house-hold diy, but always loved woodwork (Grade 3 at O-level!).  Latter years have seen the extent of home diy decreasing (at least until/if we move again) so thought to build model boat to keep me occupied and give me something to ponder on.  Also having an affection for power and speed I decided it would be something that I could shoe-horn an over-the-top power train in just for fun.  Not into fast electric particularly but prefer the more traditional craft, so project decided upon is 1:24 scale Fairmile C, just cos I like the hull form and the fact the finished product (if I ever get that far) will be about 41/2 feet long (that's four and a half feet, not 41 or 42 feet).  Anyway, that was back in October last year.  To date it is still in the design stage, but progressing slowly.  As this posting is meant to be brief I will leave it at that but am happy to say more at a later date, with photos of what has been achieved so far (if I can work out how to post pix to the forum).  This forum has so far been a great source of opinion and experience and has already contributed significantly to decisions I have made about the boat, so thanks to all the mayhemers, you may never know what a help you have been.
Oldishseadog.

CyberBOB

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Recent sign-up, first post
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 11:00:24 pm »

Welcome Oldishseadog,

Good luck with your build.  I have found the build log helps keep me motivated, and we love photos!

Posting pics isn't too complicated, if you have trouble, there are some posts on the subject, and their are a lot of people here willing to advise, just ask.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 09:39:06 am »

Greetings Oldishseadog!

Welcome to the Mayhem!  ..... Happy Monday morning!

"1:24 scale Fairmile C...  shoe-horn an over-the-top power train in just for fun." Excellent!  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 01:10:28 pm »

Two days in...it's too late now to run away.

Good luck, fella...just keep your head down and you should be fine.  ;D

Rich
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 01:54:53 pm »

The Fairmile C is a very attractive subject - but a word of warning. The MyHobbyStore plan is far from accurate. I bought a model built to this plan, and it is almost laughably wrong.

Use the John Lambert plans and the relevant section in the same man's Allied Coastal Forces Vol.1.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 08:13:41 pm »

Welcome to our (mostly) friendly gang!
Help,advice and sense of humour will get you through, good luck!
Mick F

Oldishseadog

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 10:30:58 pm »

Thanks guys for your welcome, advice and warnings, all will be duly heeded!
Jonty, thanks for the comments on plans - it is the John Lambert on three sheets that I have.  Great detail on the real thing - bit of a challenge scratch-building a model from them.  I have used the plans as a reference for off-sets to re-draw the Lines Plans on a 2-D drawing package (easier to correct, much better at port & starboard symmetry and can print numerous bits of whatever necessary from them).  The fact it took me about 6 months of a couple of hours evenings and weekends to get them to an acceptable level of smoothness is neither here nor there - all part of the fun (and I still have some hair left on my head).  A couple of photos of the plans attached if anybody interested.  Drawn to full-size measurements but scaled to 1:24.  No diagonals - thought they were a reference too far.  Now starting to use those lines to actually design the scale model.  I am not too much of a purist in these matters so perhaps it would be more accurate to describe the intended craft as 'based on a Fairmile C' but that will become clearer as the design develops.  More on decisions made about the design in posts to come.

Thanks mayhemers and I am sure I will be asking for lots more advice as the work progresses.

Oldishseadog
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.