Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Frsky Taranis X9E Transmitter  (Read 4529 times)

timg

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Frsky Taranis X9E Transmitter
« on: June 25, 2016, 09:43:42 pm »

Hi all,

Has anyone got /used this transmitter? (Frsky Taranis X9E Transmitter )
I would like to know about  the quality of the unit/ reliability?
How easy it is to use?
Is there a better make/ model I should consider?

I'm after a new transmitter to use on all my r/c models ( boats and car's ) ,
I like the idea of been able to pick and choose which channels do what
The model memory
Price of extra receivers
Temperature sensor /battery voltage

Thanks
spud

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 01:28:25 pm »

Not got one myself but I know of a few people who have them and are very happy with them.
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 05:47:28 pm »

I own one.

classic jumbo tray style radio.  I also own a Robbe FC-28, comparing the two...  very similar.

not much of a snob about radios, can't say whether the pots are better on the Robbe or Taranis, they work, which is all i care about.  same basic software as any other Taranis, which means that you have 16 channels per RF deck, with 2 RF decks, totaling 32 servos working all at once if you need that.  everything goes through a mix, regardless of what it is...  everything is 100% configurable.

only drawback that i have with it, the "external" RF deck is not external, which is very bad design.

reliability is unknown. the device has only been available since august of 2015, so less than a year old.   I also own a standard Taranis X9D, it appears basically the same quality as that.

the X9E is also expandable, like the Robbe F series, but without the multiprop.  you can basically add switches and knobs in the upper bays, and assign them to specific channels, using up to 16 channels per receiver.  i currently have a tugboat that has lights, anchor, fire monitor, independent motors, horn, smoke, etc., and all those use separate channels, via switches or knobs.

I bought mine from aloft hobbies here in the states.   their prices are good, cheaper in most cases than the same thing on ebay.  as far as price goes, it only offers more knobs/sliders/switches than the standard x9d, at $100 more than the x9d.  it is also larger and heavier than the x9d.  receivers are inexpensive, but not as inexpensive as the chinese product sold at sites like hobbyking.   receivers generally are half of what a spektrum or futaba 2.4ghz costs, but twice what a turnigy receiver costs.

i am using mine primarily for submarines.  I have built my own version of telemetry systems using the "D" series protocol DIY with arduino as a hub.  I do have a couple D series 2.4ghz receivers that i have also set up with the x9e/x9d, allowing me to get 3 different battery voltages, 2 different temps, and motor current used at the ESC as well.  I have not used the new "X" series receivers with telemetry, but there are battery/temp/current/ and vario and GPS telemetry available for that.   the big advantage the X series protocol offers vs D series is expandability.  D series is limited to a fixed set of telemetry.  X series is expandable.  you could have 4 voltage/current sensors in X series if you want.  pricing for the sensors is reasonable, and as stated, there is a huge DIY community for Varios and GPS telemetry using both the D and X protocols.

taranis software allows for up to 60 models immediately available, but extra "offline" models available on SD card, up to the capacity of the card.

custom designed telemetry screens.

logging of telemetry to SD card.

sounds are available, triggered by switches, telemetry, or timers.

let me know if there are specific things/questions you want to know about it

Robotnik

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem, it's not too bad
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 09:02:30 pm »

I bought one of the first batch of the earliest MK1's from T9, more than three years ago.

It's still going strong with no problems.

Updated it to the latest firmware about 4 months ago.

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 05:41:34 pm »

i should add that i do not use 2.4ghz with the submarines.  there are multiple third party RF module manufacturers that make 433mhz (458mhz UK) modules and receivers that do work for submarines.  they allow for the telemetry as well, fully integrated into the standard FrSky methodology for telemetry, so telemetry from submarines appears on the taranis screen identical to 2.4ghz setup on my model boats and other land vehicles.

timg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 09:37:58 pm »

Hi All,

I'm looking at buying one to hopefully cover everything I could  ever need,
I have found them for sale in Bradford although not in stock at the moment, I will go and have a look when they do

Just a bit concerned about the programming part of things, how difficult is it ?

Thanks for your replies

Spud

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 10:15:34 pm »

spud,

its not difficult, just different.  like i said, EVERYTHING requires a "mix"...  unlike traditional radios, anything you do follows a simple "flow"

input -> mix -> output.

for a simple r/c boat, the throttle and steering require two setups:

right horizontal stick -> rudder mix 100% -> channel 1
left vertical stick -> throttle mix 100% -> channel 2

in the "outputs" page of the menu, you get to set things like end points, neutral point, etc., but out of the box, plugging a receiver into the boat, and switching the radio on will get you nothing at all working on the receiver.

the latest model sold currently also includes a "wizard" that allows you to setup a model by hand, it steps you through basic configuration, relatively painless.

i find this "odd" non traditional method more like the way my brain works normally, so i adapted to it like a fish to water.  I find it MUCH easier to program for complicated setups like mixed rudder/throttle/thruster combined steering than using traditional radios like futaba or spektrum.

timg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 12:16:34 am »

Hi tsenecal

Thanks for the information that's put my mind at rest  , it's even more tempting now

Cheers
Spud

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 05:34:44 pm »

Hello
Can some tell me if I have this correct please

If I want a 16ch version I would need X1 Taranis X9E  Transmitter  and X2 X8R receivers.
 To then upgrade to 32ch  I would need extra switches  etc and two more X8R receivers.

Can some explane to me what the XJT module does in layman terms please 

john

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 06:13:38 pm »

Hello
Can some tell me if I have this correct please

If I want a 16ch version I would need X1 Taranis X9E  Transmitter  and X2 X8R receivers.
 To then upgrade to 32ch  I would need extra switches  etc and two more X8R receivers.

Can some explane to me what the XJT module does in layman terms please 

john

John,

another long-winded answer....

to get 32 channels of info sent out of the x9e, you will need to buy an XJT module.  this would plug into the "external" socket, and give you two RF decks, each spitting out up to 16 channels of data.

the simplest receiver setups are as you described, but each receiver also outputs "s-bus", a 16 channel protocol, allowing you to buy 2 of these: http://alofthobbies.com/frsky-sbus-cppm-decoder-with-pins.html and connect them to the "s-bus" port on the receiver, if you only wanted to use a single receiver and 16 servos.  the choice is basically yours, either 2 receivers, or 1 receiver and 2 decoders would get you 16 servos.  double all that to get your max of 32 channels.

so:

x9e by itself outputs a max of 16 channels
x9e + XJT outputs a max of 32 channels,

2 X8r receivers can collect 16 channels of data, and drive 16 servos
4 X8r receivers can collect 32 channels of data, and drive 32 servos

or

1 X8r receiver can collect 16 channels of data, and with two s-bus decoders can drive 16 servos
2 X8r receivers can collect 32 channels of data, and with four s-bus decoders can drive 32 servos

and yes, unless you are doing a ton of elaborate mixes, you will probably want to stick a bunch more switches and knobs onto your x9e.

don't forget about these, either:
http://alofthobbies.com/rc-studio-custom-function-stick-ends.html

as to the second question...
in theory, the XJT module (either internal or external) is what converts the "servo" signal generated by the brain of the radio into the actual RF signal that is transmitted over the air.

practically speaking, the "XJT module" as sold by FrSky is a second RF deck that can be plugged into the Taranis, giving you a second set of 16 channels of output, giving you 32 channels total. it was originally designed for both that function, and to allow other radios with JR style sockets to use the X series FrSky receivers.  all of the standard functionality built into the Taranis internal RF deck is available on the XJT module.   

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 06:14:08 pm »

a couple youtube videos....

this one shows how to set up two receivers to drive 16 servos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFuSzOhe1bE

this one shows how to set up a single receiver to drive 16 servos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUkutJrzXFI

you would configure the X9e to output on both RF decks, and double the bind process(es) to get 32 channels

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 09:21:33 pm »

Hello
Thanks a million . you have explained it perfectly . The modules was what i did not understand  but now I do .
Found on aircraft forums they went in to to much detail and It went over my head .  For my next boat I am going down the Frsky route to break with the old but good F14

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.