Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Linkspan Models : MV Spirit of Free Enterprise - Development of a kit  (Read 38972 times)

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models

Good evening all  :-))

Now that the development of the MV Norland is well under way, the stocks have been cleared to make room for the development of the MV Spirit of Free Enterprise.
Launched in Bremerhaven in 1979, she was owned and operated by Townsend Thoresen through much of the 80s along with her sisters; Herald and Pride, before the  company was bought by P&O. Following the tragic loss of her sister ship, the Herald of Free Enterprise in March  1987, P&O modified the appearance of the Spirit. Her colours changed to P&O's blue and white livery and she was  renamed Pride of Kent.
Her hull was extended  by 31m in 1991. In 2003 she was bought by  GA Ferries and renamed the Anthi Marina to operate on routes  between Piraeus, Kos and Rhodes. She was laid up in Elefsis Bay in 2011 and finally  scrapped in Aliaga, Turkey in 2012.

Naturally, the first job was to loft out the hull form to enable the profiles to be cut and the plug to be built:

And this is a graphical representation of what the fibreglass hull shape will be in the kit:

At nearly 1.4m long and 250mm in the beam, I think she will make quite an impressive sight on the pond!!!!

:-))

Stavros

Re: Linkspan Models : MV Spirit of Free Enterprise - Development of a kit
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 10:34:01 pm »

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Now this has got my FULL attention

Dave

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 10:56:46 pm »

Ok Carl - you have my interest piqued also. :-)

Regards,

Ray.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 11:31:20 pm »

Certainly a unique bow propulsion system Carl...... :o

Would you contemplate the FWD propeller drive in addition to the two athwart thrusters?

It is however interesting to see the size of her main engine axis and the flatness of the propeller shaft line

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 12:01:31 am »

Ok Carl - you have my interest piqued also. :-)

Regards,

Ray.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Now this has got my FULL attention

Dave
Thank you Gents!  :-))
I will update as I go along - I am designing this one in between workshop work on the Norland model.
I had an 'interesting' communication from a chap in Germany about the hull for this model - apparently, he produces a fibreglass hull at 1:100 scale and 'offered' to supply them for the kit.............at a price of close to 500 Euro each!!!  :o   I think we will produce our own........

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 12:04:21 am »

Certainly a unique bow propulsion system Carl...... :o

Would you contemplate the FWD propeller drive in addition to the two athwart thrusters?

It is however interesting to see the size of her main engine axis and the flatness of the propeller shaft line

Derek

Hi Derek
Yes, I plan to incorporate the bow propeller as a working option in the kit along with the bow rudder.  And as for the shaft angles - it appears that nearly all the Dover ferries have these very horizontal shafts.  Doesn't make mounting the motors in the kit very easy, but we managed it in the Free Enterprise model.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 12:14:05 am »

Little bit more of an update....

Been sharing my time between designing this model and working on the Norland kit.  Now that the hull profiles are complete, I have spent a bit of brain energy working out the best way of constructing the superstructure.  The biggest problem with a ship like this is the amount of top-weight.  In addition, I have had to work out the 'best' way of gaining access to the inner hull.

My thoughts to overcome both of these problems - and still retain some structural integrity - is to produce the whole superstructure as a lift-off unit and constructed of styrene no thicker than 1mm.  To give the strength, this means that it has to be built 'egg crate' fashion - using cross-profiles interlocked with the decks and fore-and-aft superstructure profiles (three of them - one on the centre-line and one either side).  The whole 'skeleton' would then be clad in 0.5mm thick styrene sheet, accurately cut on the laser-cutter and with the windows already cut out and ready for glazing.  Thought has also been given to allowing some internal detailing of some areas of the inner passenger spaces as the windows are quite large and the interior can be quite easily seen through them.

Anyroad - here are the initial drafts of the profiles that will go to make up the superstructure:

I am quite happy how this one is turning out so far................

Carl  :-))

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 12:25:28 am »

Many thanks for the updates Carl - this gives us an interesting insight into the trials and tribulations of kit development. O0

Looking forward to more of the same. :-))

Regards,

Ray.

markrider

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 09:26:11 pm »

any more info on this kit yet as really intrested in it many thanks

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 09:59:01 pm »

any more info on this kit yet as really intrested in it many thanks

Hi Mark
Just dropped you an email.  We will get back on with updating this thread very soon - we have been a tad busy getting the Norland sorted for moulding and ready for launch and sorting ourselves out for the forthcoming Blackpool and Warwick shows.

Hope this helps?
Cheers
Carl

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2016, 05:55:50 pm »

Quick update:
Preparing the stocks for the build of the SOFE plug - base template glued to the build board, profiles to be cut tomorrow  :-))

More tomorrow..............

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2016, 10:44:01 pm »

Wow, you are really pushing the known boundries of Ferry kit availability to new places! Is that the fourth kit you are developing? That is dedication to the hobby  8)
Pond weed is your enemy

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2016, 05:51:05 pm »

Wow, you are really pushing the known boundries of Ferry kit availability to new places! Is that the fourth kit you are developing? That is dedication to the hobby  8)

Hi Ian - this one is actually number 3, the fourth is the M/S Dalaro which we will be starting on around Christmas.  The Norland is number 2 and we should have the prototype hull back in time to show it at Warwick.

As for dedication - well, I like to think that we are offering something different that hasn't been available before.  To be honest, we are thoroughly enjoying it!!!!  Looking forward to the forthcoming shows.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2016, 05:54:11 pm »

A little bit more work carried out on constructing the plug for the SOFE (in between laser cutting parts for the FEV kits and pulling the front bumper and lights of my Daimler following an altercation earlier in the week!!!  :(( ):

More tomorrow  :-)) :-)) :-))

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2016, 07:09:14 pm »

Hi Derek
Yes, I plan to incorporate the bow propeller as a working option in the kit along with the bow rudder.  And as for the shaft angles - it appears that nearly all the Dover ferries have these very horizontal shafts.  Doesn't make mounting the motors in the kit very easy, but we managed it in the Free Enterprise model.

Having run a double ended ferry model, I don't recommend running the forward propeller as
a "puller". It tends to suck the water out from the bow and cause the bow to dive.

The bearings in theses ships wouldn't really be set up to work as a puller.
What I ended up doing was installing a relay, that would trigger when I put the boat into reverse.
The relay would activate when reverse current was applied and switch the power to the forward motor.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2016, 07:30:52 pm »

Having run a double ended ferry model, I don't recommend running the forward propeller as
a "puller". It tends to suck the water out from the bow and cause the bow to dive.

The bearings in theses ships wouldn't really be set up to work as a puller.
What I ended up doing was installing a relay, that would trigger when I put the boat into reverse.
The relay would activate when reverse current was applied and switch the power to the forward motor.

Hi Umi
The Spirit class only ever ran the Bow prop when going astern from the Linkspan . It was never made to move the ship forward. It was designed to give better manoeuvrability .
John 

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2016, 08:23:30 pm »

Hi Umi - John is right.  The ferries on the English Channel are not double-enders.  The bow prop shown here was only used when manoeuvring within the port - it increased the wash across the bow rudder thereby keeping the speed down when approaching the Linkspan going astern.

Should be interesting figuring out the electronics for running the model.....

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2018, 11:29:56 pm »

Been a little while since I posted an update on here - sorry about that chaps!!! Wont happen again.......

As well as the day-job, sorting kits out for customers etc. etc. etc., been busy planking the hull plug for the SOFE :

9mm x 2mm obechi strips glued with PVA and pinned whilst drying.  The 5mm x 5mm rubbing strakes were fitted before planking and the strip planking is only being applied below this (or above as in the photos 'coz the hull is upside-down!).  From the belting to the top edge of the hull (bulwark rail) the plug will be sheathed in obechi sheet.  The sides are quite flat but there is a pronounced crease running fore and aft along them.  The bow and stern will be blocked in and sanded to shape.

Getting there!!!!
CT  :-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2018, 09:06:17 pm »

I am not surprised you are busy looking at your advert in Model Boats Carl. Two kits released and two more on the way and this one as well!

Pond weed is your enemy

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 10:20:47 pm »

It's all go here at the moment Ian  %% %% ! I wish I was retired.....I could work more hours then!!!

And in an effort to avoid heading out into a rather cold workshop to carry on planking, I have been sat in a warm office working up the 3D files for some of the fittings - in particular the bow and stern rudders and the over-hanging car deck platforms.  These have now been uploaded to Shapeways for prototype printing to see how they come out, but the photos below are the actual 3D computer models fitted to the rest of the 3D generated ship.  So far, it seems to fit together OK!!!!

Bow rudder and support frame including propshaft tube...... Rudder is designed to be able to operate.  This shot also shows the underside of the overhanging platform at the bow.

Stern rudder and skeg and the underside of the overhanging platform above:

General view from above of the whole concept - bow on........

And another from the stern quarter.........

The white profiles above the green car deck are the superstructure profiles that will be provided as laser-cut acrylic Perspex in the kit.  This will then be clad in styrene with all the window openings pre cut.  The coloured horizontal decks in the images are also of Perspex and are in the correct positions of the decks on the actual ship.  As the windows are quite large on this vessel, there is ample opportunity to install seating and other internal detail should the modeller wish.

More soon!!! :-)) :-))

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2018, 10:24:53 pm »

Can’t wait to it in the flesh so to say! Brilliant work, love to see the development of a kit from the beginning. :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2018, 10:36:11 pm »

Glynn Guest had an article published in Feb's Model Boats about his build of a double ended ferry. It might be worth having a look as regards suggestions for setting the running gear up etc. It's a nice model in his style  :-))

What thickness perspex are you supplying the formers in? Acrylic can be quite heavy. Looks excellent Carl!
Pond weed is your enemy

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2018, 11:09:37 pm »

Cheers Guys!!
Ian - Yes, I read Glyn's article and I have kept it handy to refer to.
As for the Perspex - it is 2mm thick for rigidity but I have created a whole load of lightening holes in the parts....as many as I think I can get away with without affecting the integrity.  The beauty of true Perspex (as opposed to other acrylics) is that it cuts so neatly and cleanly on the laser, unlike styrene, and thickness for thickness, is more rigid than styrene.  When I have cut the skeleton I will weigh it and see where we are at.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2018, 11:29:36 pm »

The hull planking is now about 65% done.........

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2018, 11:48:47 pm »

Hmmmmh......cut the top off and it would make one....'Hella of a nice Swear Jar' for the Workshop or Office  {-).. Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 21 queries.