Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lifeboat exhaust  (Read 5690 times)

boat captain

• Full Mayhemer
Lifeboat exhaust
« on: September 04, 2016, 05:52:47 pm »

Has any body got photgraphs of their set up of water supply and mister supply to the exhaust pipes?
Joe
Liverpool MBC Committee Member

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Lifeboat exhaust
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 02:20:48 pm »

Hi boat captain,

I am currently working on this problem in my 1/16th Trent rebuild:

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,54771.0.html

Alex

Flundle (Speedline Models)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 10:10:39 pm »

For the water flow from the exhaust I put a small scoop behind and above each prop in the high pressure area. The flow is then directly proportional to the power being delivered by the prop.Only done it once but it seemed to be OK.
I would think you could 'pipe' some water mist alongside too ?
Worth a try.

lesfac

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too late for a happy childhood
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 08:40:44 am »

My water cooling method is probably not for the purist but here is what I have done.

For each scoop I made 2 "shovel" shaped pieces from 1/8 brass sheet. I left the brass full thickness on 3 edges then soldered them together and chamfered the front. Then I drilled the face that is against the hull and soldered on the threaded pipe. I stuck these to the hull in the tunnels where the prop shaft is where it is at its flattest. With a nut on the theaded pipe also securing the scoop I hope it will be secure.

Although its a work around, as its in the tunnel its well hidden.

I tried it out and it did work cooling the ESC's and the water exited through the exhaust. It doesnt work unless ther is some decent headway for the water pressure to force the flow but that is when the ESC's need cooling so its ok for me.
Les

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 10:45:44 am »

Thats just what I did. It did 'dribble' a bit from the exhaust unless really going then it got too far away to tell.
I used commercial scoops though and they were a bit small.
Nice job.

boat captain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 11:44:57 am »

I have  fitted scoops  what I am after is on start up of the engines a trickle of water comes out, this is with a pump, and the mister also starts working.  When sailing the scoops come in to action and the flow of the water and mister increase and decrease with the speed of the boat.  I am after the best way to connect the mister and size of plpe used the water is no problem.
Joe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 11:57:42 am »

We mad a mister here and it belted out! I would have thought that the vapour would still emerge after travelling down a length of pipe OK.
Ill have a look around and if we still have any bits for one I'll send them to you.
Adrian

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 12:32:29 pm »

The current setup in my Trent has silicone tubing running from the mister unit located just in front of the motor mounts and it comes out fine

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 05:47:29 pm »

Joe,

Not sure if you have a mister unit - if not this may help

http://www.wicksteedparkmbc.com/smoke-generator.html

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

lesfac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 06:45:38 pm »

So am I right in thinking if you have water and mist coming out of the exhausts then there are 2 outlets behind each exhaust Flap?  I haven't come across mist units before.
Les

lesfac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 08:08:26 am »

I have been thinking about these mist units.
Do they generate any sort of Pressure?  I am wondering if it would push the mist down a small diameter plastic pipe like what is used for cooling water.
Les

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 08:15:26 am »

Hi Les,

No, unfortunately water vapor has no pressure and will just dumbly float around what is generating it, you will need a fan to push it about, I describe the setup in my Trent on my rebuild thread:

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,54771.0.html

Alex

boat captain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 07:19:46 am »

The current setup in my Trent has silicone tubing running from the mister unit located just in front of the motor mounts and it comes out fine
[/quote)

What size silicon piping have you used?
Joe

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 08:59:11 am »

Hi boat captain,

I'm away on business at moment so can't say for sure, but I think it was around 10mm id, I drilled out the white metal exhaust port fitting to fit onto some brass tube I had laying around and the tube is a good tight fit over that.

Alex

glenn69

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2016, 01:50:55 am »

Hi all. I'm just about to change the motors in my Arun "The Queen Mother" to water cooled inliners and thought that having the mist as well as the water discharge through the exhaust would be a great effect for my boat. I'm a relative novice and this is my first foray into brushless motors so please bear with me if this is a dumb idea. I've a spare Heng Long smoke generator with built in fan that would erstwhile have gone into a Tank that would normally run on 7.2 nimh but I'm hoping with a Futaba connector I could convert to using a 12v gel cell. Secondly if I manufacture two small boxes to fit on the bulkhead just behind the exhaust ports with two nozzles going into each box for both water and mist,would that work? Or is this whole concept totally flawed and I should go and make tea and make myself useful lol !!!!!

boat captain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2016, 04:30:10 pm »

I have  fitted scoops  what I am after is on start up of the engines a trickle of water comes out, this is with a pump, and the mister also starts working.  When sailing the scoops come in to action and the flow of the water and mister increase and decrease with the speed of the boat.  One small pipe is for the pumped water the other from the scoop and the mister to the large one.

Hope this helps.

Joe

glenn69

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2016, 07:18:09 pm »

Hi. This does give me a better idea on how best to separate the water from the mist into the exhaust duct. My water cooled motor's/Turnigy water cooled esc's will be using a single pump with brushed motor to help draw water from through the bottom of the hull and then discharged through the exhaust ducts as you normally would so there's the idea of one small pipe. I totally get the idea of the large pipe for the mister but I'm somewhat puzzled over the pipe for the scoop? Are you suggesting using another motor to draw additional water?
Regards,Glenn.

boat captain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2016, 11:49:08 pm »

No other motor is used the forward motion of the boat pushes water up the scoop cools the motor and esc then out the exhaust pipe,
Joe

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2016, 03:03:00 pm »

Exactly as boat captain says, I have a scoop behind the port prop on my Trent, this pushes water around the escs when under way, in my case it then exits back through the keel, I also have a solenoid valve plumbed into the cooling system which is controlled by a float switch, this taps off cooling water to fill the vaporiser tank as and when it is needed.

Alex
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.