Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Classic cinema showings  (Read 1458 times)

RST

Classic cinema showings
« on: December 15, 2017, 03:40:31 am »

Off to see "2001: a Space Odessey" on the big screen at Eden Court cinema in Inverness this Saturday evening with a friend (yes, I have one).  Missed it last time it showed years ago but seats pre-booked well in advance this time.  Absolutely can't wait to see it on a big screen!!!!!!!

"Day of the Jackal" showing on Sunday evening also.  I can see me getting get tickets for that while we cue into 2001 ....and "North by North West" showing on Friday 22nd.

Fantastic films -should be even better seeing them on the big screen proper rather than on TV!

Lst ones I saw at Eden Court were "Westworld", "Get Carter" and "Goodfellas".  They've not done the cult classic movie screenings for a good while so looking forward to the next few.  Would love to see something like "True Grit",  or perhaps a Connery/Moore Bond movie in the big screen again.  "Bladerunner" would be awesome.

...proper movies.  None of this recycled theme modern computer generated rubbish stuff like "Death on the Orient Express" I saw the other month.  LoL!!!!!  Shame though, there may only be a few of us in the auditorium like usual which probably won't pay for the hire of the film.

Would you go and see a re-run of a classic or do you think everyone just wants to see the latest hollywood blockbuster these days?

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Classic cinema showings
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 07:50:34 am »

So much rubbish gets churned out these days, I tend to spend most of my time taking refuge in older films.  Just seems like all the focus is on making money out of sequels and rehashes these days - anything that gets a positive reception is cursed to have about 8 sequels. I would love to see some of those again.

That said, there are a few exceptions. I love Tarantino films and ‘Drive’ was a great film, but I didn’t get to see that one in the cinema.

RST

Re: Classic cinema showings
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 11:47:22 pm »

Ha, yes Tarrantino is pretty refreshing, though a bit harsh at times I do love "Django Unchained" and "Englorious Basterds" -nothing like their namesakes, bit like "Schindlers List" though, I find the QT films very hard hitting and respectful to watch.

2001 on the big screen was epic, some little details you miss on the small-screen TV.  The last 20mins never get any easier to figure out but I have a new theory on it now (it's all about working out your own understanding)!  I'm amazed the theater was more than 75% full though.  My friend and I expected about 4-5 other people as usual!.  The grand daddy of all sci-fi films since in my oppinion.

Xmas lunch tomorrow afternoon then off to see "North by Northwest" tomorrow night.  One of my fave Hitchcocks next to Psycho.

I took my Mother to see the new "Murder on the Orient Express" the other month.  Not a bad rendition and perfectly watchable but Branagh is no Poirot to us (blame David Suchet) and the computer special effects were just truly awful for me.  Nevermind, they left it obvious there will be a "Death on the Nile" next and I hope K.B. settles into it a bit more.  I'll go see that one.

Rich

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.