Model Boat Mayhem - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Sealight puffer build  (Read 4907 times)

birlinn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old git in a garage
Re: Another Sealight puffer build
« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2018, 05:04:39 PM »

Finished the tender, apart from stowing the rowlocks; these will not be in their sockets.
Will get back to the puffer build again, after this diversion.

birlinn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old git in a garage
« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2018, 05:43:11 PM »

Should have included something to give an idea of scale, like this....

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2018, 08:06:55 PM »

Wonderful work. Stunning. Congratulations.
Don't Assume Check

Liverbudgie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the Best!
« Reply #103 on: September 06, 2018, 08:13:54 PM »

Did you use the Klammerlander(sp) method to do the dingy? That is to soak the planks in a little water and attaching to the frames using superglue and a soldering iron; also works a treat when shaping thin lengths of timber as well.

LB

P.S. I've just tried to google him but there is no sign of him. I met him at the Dortmund Show some years ago, so perhaps all those massive ice creams we had have court up with him.

birlinn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old git in a garage
« Reply #104 on: September 07, 2018, 07:21:14 AM »

Built shell first over moulds; frames added later. The soldering iron technique works very well for shaping bamboo too- I used to use it for forming fin outlines etc for scale model planes.
I am never 100% happy with the results- should have given it a bit more sheer, and increased the frame spacing slightly from the scale 8" to about 10".

birlinn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old git in a garage
« Reply #105 on: September 10, 2018, 10:57:53 AM »

Hinged wash port doors fixed, and ship's boat lashed down. Now having fun with the winch- a bit of a Chinese puzzle.

birlinn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old git in a garage
« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2018, 03:26:11 PM »

Winch finished and fixed. Still got to weather the deck planking a bit- however- I have just realised that I will almost certainly have to bend and re-fix the steam inlet pipe, as it will foul the mast tabernacle. Doh!
I struggled a bit with the build, and had to do a bit of taking apart and refixing, particularly with the width of the winch drum. Of course I then found Martin's  winch build info on here, and realised he had had exactly the same problems. Doh! again.

You will note that I have added guards over the exposed gearing- all the puffer photos from the 1950's onwards show them in place.

Also I have restricted the colour scheme from that in the kit photos- I can find no evidence for Ross and Marshall using green paint anywhere but the starboard light box. The winch drum is loose on the shaft at present so I can wind on the line.
Phil

birlinn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old git in a garage
« Reply #107 on: September 16, 2018, 01:24:33 PM »

Nearly there- just the boom, rigging and anchors now. I will probably replace the dinghy- the rib spacing annoys me every time I look at it.
Phil

birlinn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old git in a garage
« Reply #108 on: September 16, 2018, 04:47:13 PM »

Next snag: the exhaust pipe from the steam winch.
If the pipe runs parallel to the centreline (and mine does, because I have fixed it, including passing through the hull), it is just where the socket for the anchor derrick (davit?) needs to be. It looks wrong moved to one side, so I shall make up some sort of bridge to allow the socket to be over the pipe.
Probably totally non-authentic, but needs must be.

birlinn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old git in a garage
« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2018, 10:19:41 PM »

Following from the above, close scrutiny of the photos gives the reason. The triangular gusset on the top of the bow in the kit is quite large, and includes a socket for the davit, fairly near the centreline..
The actual ship has a much smaller gusset, with a separate socket for the davit further out to starboard, so no collision with the pipe.
Can't change things now.

derekwarner_decoy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: September 16, 2018, 10:40:06 PM »

As you say Phil.....all probably academic

1. I could not see Pipe Fitters of olde laying three x 90 degree bends in the exhaust pipe just to clear the swivel socket for the davit arm as it is only for winching up the anchor [rope]......so a simple hoop bridge with the swivel mounted on axis would appear sound
2. If there were no mounting hoop bridge in the Pipe Fitters Plan set, then the exhaust pipe could have been layed off axis as this would also make the physical point of exhaust from the hull an easier task being away from the centreline of the hull to either port or stdb
This is also based on the assumption that the steam winch was overboard exhausting & not a steam exhaust return condensation system
3. A third point is that exhaust steam in these systems would provide sufficient heat buildup in the exhaust line to cause a rubber booted foot a severe burn. From this, wrapping insulation cord over the exhaust line would not be out of place
4. The actual insulation for the time period probably would have been Asbestos lagging, painted with a sealer then a tinplate shield over the OD and around the bends. Being in the fwd location would have been subjected to quite an amount of water over the bow. This shielding would have necessitated regular maintenance to maintain any insulation integrity

So for us modellers, the  cotton string sometimes lagged with filler & painted white may not be absolutely prototypical  >>:-( but is our best bet   :-))

Derek

PS...it is a little difficult to tell from your photographs, but yes the davit is off axis to the stdb side, as is the exhaust pipe....we also see a locker on the stdb side that could house the anchor rope.......does the davit height clear the ventilator on the port side?...is the ship depicted with one anchor on the stdb side only?....certainly that foredeck on the stdb side could be busy

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

birlinn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old git in a garage
« Reply #111 on: September 17, 2018, 11:15:19 AM »

The davit on the original ship was  outboard of the starboard anchor hawse, so much further over.
I think I, and a few other builders, have made one slight mistake- the steam exhaust follows the sheer of the deck. I suspect it would have had a fall to allow condensate to drain. Too late!
I don't think the exhaust was insulated.

birlinn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old git in a garage
« Reply #112 on: Today at 09:59:48 AM »

Demolition!
The more I looked at the bow area, the more it annoyed me. Today I ripped off the bow gusset piece (in a wooden boat I would call it the breasthook), and the fairleads either side.
I will replace with a much smaller gusset, and move the davit over.
The bow ventilator looks a bit big, but I will leave it, as if I try to remove it, it will only mess up the deck planking. In later life, Sealight seems to have lost it.
The forepeak cabin seems to have had a stove, but on the model there is not enough room between the winch and the companionway for the stove pipe, so I will have to omit that bit.
I just wish the kit was more accurate- it is a bit too annoyingly 'generic' rather than a scale model of Sealight.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up