Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crane Barge Article in Model Boats mag  (Read 4298 times)

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
Crane Barge Article in Model Boats mag
« on: December 27, 2007, 07:30:55 pm »

Hy Guys,
In the Jan issue of MB there is an article by Dave Hunter on his scratch built crane barge, he is using FOAMEX in the build but, he does,nt mention what adhesive he used. I have a few large sheets of 2mm and 3mm that I would like to use, I have tried the usual model shop glues for styrene ect but they dont work. Has anyone used FOAMEX and what did you use.
Many Thanks
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

BlazingPenguin

Re: Crane Barge Article in Model Boats mag
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 02:07:06 pm »

We've used foamex extensively at the club for boat, barges and buildings etc.
Good quality cyano works fine especially when used with accellerator, for extra beefy strength some bicarbonate of soda with cyano drippe on top will stick like the devil, having said that, a quick run around the inside with some grp resin mixed with a little talc to catch any gaps.

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 07:39:33 pm »

Hy Blazing Penquin
Many thanks for the info, I was beggining to think that nobody had used Foamex, it seemed to good a material just to let go to waste. I will give the Cyano a try, I would imagine that the people that make double glazed windows would be the ones to get in touch with, I believe they use industrial strength cyano and an acelerator when fitting windows.
Once again , Many Thanks
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

BlazingPenguin

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 05:19:06 pm »

We've found that the kicker is quite important, some worked better than others myself favouring that vanilla scented stuff...Zip Kicker, that comes in a brown bottle or aerosol.
The foamex itself can be cut very easily and sanded to quite a good finish, one downfall is that sometimes it can be prone to shock if used in very cold water, smack something hard and you can have some excitement you hadnt planned on if its cold outside.

Most boats offered as free plans like 'Pug the Tug' or HMS Brush etc would be simple to build using foamex, just remember to ad some extra corner/edge bracing, sealing prop or rudder tube entries is easily done with 'metal' type epoxies, or if not available use quick setting type again mixed with a little Bicarb to thicken it up a little
One of our handicapped guest boat projects was built using foamex, cheap, easy to use and work on and stands up to those little accidents that they sometimes receive.

Paint also sticks a little better after a polish with a fine foam sanding pad or scotch type pad.

Have a look at our green barge being repaired on my webaite at www.badbillsboatyard.co.uk to see how big you can go....Oh sorry, you can go 'MUCH' bigger as we also built a 6ft tanker for towing that bolts together, pics of that are on the scottish fedration website somewhere.

Cant find that Crane Barge article though?

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 07:05:30 pm »

Hy
Blazing Penquin
Once again thankyou for all the info, I apreciate it. I was thinking of using the Foamex for deckhousing, wheelhouses ect, I marked some out today and thought this aint takeing the pencil to good, then realised that there is a very fine clear celophene film on it.  It was ok once I removed it :embarrassed: Will have to wait untill after the bank holiday to get the Zip Kicker.
That article is in the January 2008 issue Model Boats, page 64 (readers models) it,s basically a short about one man,s build, it looks very good.
Just going to check out your site
Many Thanks
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

BlazingPenguin

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 07:52:31 pm »

Windows can be a drama in foamex too, my method of mounting a dremel type tool with small sanding drum upside down in a bench, will let you move the 'wall' around the sanding in the drum very slowly, this will give you a nice shape and finish for windows, this works for ply too but foamex will melt a little and mess up your work if you dont let the sanding drum work properly.

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 09:47:49 pm »

Hy Blazing Penquin.
I have been looking at your site, its very good, it was sad to see the tug that was originally going to be The Flying Phantom, especially after what has just sadly happened, maybe you could convert another hull and have another go.
My Mrs would go mental if I brought a 6 foot tug home, what is the front tyre fender off  ( a mini  ).
Your wheelhouse on that build is looking good, will follow youir advice.
Many Thanks
Bosun

bosunsmodelboats.com

BlazingPenguin

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 09:57:12 pm »

The hull turned out to be 'Brigadier' and the dimensions were out for the 'Phantom', there were also differences at the area around the prop.
There actually a couple of the 'Phantom' type tugs at the club, there is 'The Flying Phantom' and there her sister 'Flying Fulmar', wee Norry actually had one for sale on this forum I believe.

The mega TID has a wheelbarrow tyre for the front fender, the plan is to make a start next year on fitting a bow thruster.....a very big bow thruster!

For windows I mark them out square in the correct positions and with correct amount of windows, I then mark the radius with a small washer and drill holes at each corner to let me cut these out with the fret saw, then go onto the method I described earlier to trim the windows to final shapes.

OH....and it 'was' the the wife who bought me the tug in the first place!  O0
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 21 queries.