Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pencil Line and Paint  (Read 4496 times)

Bobslr

• Shipmate
Pencil Line and Paint
« on: April 13, 2008, 06:47:55 pm »

If I mark off a water line with a pencil wil the pencil line contaminate the surface and cause me problems with paint adhesion. (I am using Humbrol enamels)
                                                                 Bob

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: Pencil Line and Paint
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 06:56:55 pm »

Not unless it a bl***y thick pencil. O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 07:29:18 pm »

A lot depends if the pencil lead has got any silicon in it.I have had instances of this happening the best way I could suggest is if you measure down from the top rail of the model and mark on a piece of masking tape at various distances along the hull.Start at the bow with your Waterline top masking and remove the others as you go along,do the same for the lower masking of the waterline

Stavros

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 05:44:19 pm »

Interesting one this. Could prove to be another thread. I guess everyone has their own ideas. There is however the occassional modeller who marks the waterline measured down from the deck..which gives a curved waterline. The waterline is measured up from the keel. My own and simple way is to clamp anything with a point (pencil included) to (for instance) a set-square or "T" square and "dot" the line at a few inches apart. Join the dots with masking tape and away you go.
Notes from a simple seaman

Bobslr

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 06:37:10 am »

I finally got around to painting my boat,I was always told that the surface had to be clean so I never used a pencil line;Just eye balled a tape line.
 Marking it off with a pencil had no effect on the paint.
 Thanks for the help.
                                                         Bob

Bobslr

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 06:43:14 am »

A couple of more pictures.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 08:09:54 am »

After setting up the hull nice and level, I use a laser pointer mounted on a swivel to give the waterline, mark with small pencil dots and join with masking tape.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 08:58:51 am »

A couple of more pictures.

That's looking nice and neat.  As has been said we all have our own preferred methods but at the end of the day it is the result that matters and you have achieved what you wanted.

I have a slightly unusual yet preferred method of painting boot toppings on hulls.  Most people paint them last after doing the upper top coat then the lower hull colour but I do the upper colour first, then a single mask and paint the boot topping, then lastly mask the lower edge of the boot topping and do the lower hull colour.  This way you are only masking one line at a time and it works for me.  I mark out with a pencil tied to a block and draw a light line around the hull with it set horizontal.  Marking it from the deck can work with some hulls but most, particularly around the stern area require a line of varying distances from the deck to achieve the correct waterline. 

This is also where marking out and painting achieves considerably better results than simply applying lining tape as the actual thickness of the boot topping nearly always varies in thickness around the stern.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Bradley

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 12:02:07 pm »

I have never had a problem with marking in pencil (don't speak too soon  :().  My method of marking the waterline is to mark its position at bow and stern, turn the hull upside down and then with blocks of wood under the hull set both marks at the same height from a smooth surface (kitchen worktop).  This is, generally, easy to do as most sheerlines are curved and the blocks can be moved fore and aft a tiny amount at a time to get the level exactly right.  I then use a pencil taped to, what I believe is an engineer's scriber mounted on its own steel block with a vertical post, to mark all the way round the hull.  This type of scriber is also infintely adjustable with its screw clamps.  I believe this scriber is actually made for an engineer to scribe a horizontal line on a workpiece at whatever height above a horizontal surface, eg. a surface plate.
I hope I have not made this sound too complicated as it is dead simple really.  O0
Derek.   :police:

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 12:08:33 pm »

From what you say Derick that sounds exactly like an engineers scribing block. 

Don't come across many nowadays!
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Bradley

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 04:50:58 pm »

That's right, it is an engineer's scribing block.  I have searched the shambles that I call a workshop and found mine (see setup below).  Please ignore the slight 'patina' (rust) acquired through it being left in a garage with an occasionaly wet car :embarrassed:.  If anyone is interested in acquiring one it is an 'Eclipse No.103' and, although I have had mine for many years, I think they would be available from a model engineers suppliers (I think I got mine at a ME Exhibition).

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 05:07:06 pm »

I got one off ebay for a couple of quid a while ago - worth looking there.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Bobslr

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 05:35:54 pm »

If you look at the right hand side of the first photo I posted you can see the little gizmo I made to mark off the water line.
                                                           Bob

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 09:35:03 pm »

Sorry Derek, is that correct now?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Bradley

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 09:49:09 pm »

Many thanks, Martin.   O0  I suppose my third posting and this one are now 'surplus to requirements'.   :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.