Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wood infused filament...  (Read 252 times)

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
Wood infused filament...
« on: April 08, 2024, 05:57:38 pm »

Hi All

I have some tricky wooden pieces to produce for my Aquarama build, for example a grating in the cabin, or a rattan magazine holder for back of seats.  Could be done but not really seen and would take a lot of time. And I thought why not try 3D printing the parts, then paint them, and discounted the idea almost immediately as a particularly bad idea.  But then found I can actually source wood infused filament, like this...

https://www.123-3d.co.uk/123-3D-mahogany-wood-PLA-filament-1-75mm-0-5kg-i1536-t26973.html

Question is, has anyone tried this or any similar filament..?  I'm wondering how it really behaves.  I'm using a Creality K1C.

Best regards to all.
David.

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
Re: Wood infused filament...
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2024, 07:05:26 pm »

I have printed with Wood PLA on my Ender 3V2, follow suppliers recommendations and it works best with a 0-6mm nozzle.  A 0.4mm tends to clog easy.
My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2024, 09:52:04 am »

Morning Tica

Thanks for your comments.  I've just found out that Creality have released a nozzle set of 0.4, 0.6 and 0.8mm for the K1C, so I'll get a set and some of the filament to try.  Do you have any comments on whether it looks like wood when printed, or takes varnish..?

Thanks
David.

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2024, 11:12:49 am »

This is one of the items I have printed with a wood filament (not the one you have linked to) have not tried to add varnish to it.
My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 23 queries.