Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Waverley ...... my build  (Read 107919 times)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Waverley ...... my build
« on: May 25, 2008, 05:49:20 pm »

Last week I went down to Waverley Models in Clevedon, Somerset, to collect the Waverley parts. It is not a full kit in the box, but the drawings and some of the pieces needed to start me off.  He has the rest of the pieces to complete the model which I will be buying over the period of time.

This is a list of the pieces I have at the moment.

The hull is 60 inches long and beautifully made. All the rivets are there (for the rivet counters) and it even has a modified section of plating where the original Waverley had repairs.   ;D

The paddle wheels are all shiny and well cut, and should be interesting to assemble, as they are the feathering type. Whether they influence the sailing, matters not, because of the realism of the construction.

The paddle boxes are preformed moulds, so this will save getting the build wrong, and will enhance the model when fitted. I've even bought the stanchions, as these are special with two holes and a plain top for fitting the wooden rail.

Of course there are a lot more pieces to get and build, but I was assured that these would keep me occupied for the time being !!   ;)

Then we are on to planking the deck  (should please some of you, eh Footski!!) so tomorrow it's off to the tool shop for the band saw.  This will be my first model in wood, so please help me everyone.

Ken.

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

mark

Re: Waverley ...... my build
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 10:07:14 pm »

Years ago as a child my parents took my sister and i on a day trip up the clyde from Ayr on the Waverley the memories will last for ever.
I well remember being fascinated by the massive engine and also being frightend walking past the paddles on the lower deck with the water thundering through them.
Looks a really nice moulded hull and well detailed paddle set.
Wish you well with your build and look forward to having my memories refreshed some more

barryfoote

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 08:00:42 am »

Kenny,

That hull looks a cracker...really looking forward to seeing the build progress....planking the deck.....superb amigo. Not difficult with a little patience and well worth the effort...

WELL COME ON::::GET ON WITH IT!!!!!

Barry

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 12:13:40 pm »

I can't seem to clear the Mayhem letters section ......... ::)

It's very busy on here these days. Maybe I could work night shift.

Hope to start within the hour.

Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 11:54:54 am »

Here is a build Blog of the P.S.Waverley.

I have purchased the Hull and paddles from Waverley Models in Clevedon, Somerset and these came with the outline plans of the real ship. The model will be constructed as best as possible to copy the original ship from the 1970’s using scratch build and commercial parts where possible.

The pictures are labelled in numerical order, and will be referred to as we go along, so we’ll start off with the basic hull.  Picture (1)

I couldn’t resist placing the paddle boxes on the side to get a general impression of her (2).   Now the work begins by cutting out the windows and port holes in the hull. First, I marked out the positions and then drilled tiny holes in the hull. I enlarged these to the correct sizes with a Dremmel, whilst wearing my breathing apparatus, as the fibreglass dust was everywhere. It was then time to vacuum out the workshop. (One of the many clean ups during this build!)

I then purchased an 8x4 sheet of 3.6mm ply from the builder’s merchants, as this was cheaper than buying small pieces from a model shop. A piece was cut slightly larger than the ship as I wanted a one piece section for the top of the deck. (3) & (4).  The square windows are the unusual feature of this ship, so it was important to get them square and tidy looking. (5).

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 11:57:12 am »

Paddle wheel construction

I have gone for the feathering type of paddle wheel, as I believe this represents the beauty of this model. I’ve opted for the brass version and these are the parts that are needed. (6)

The parts were dry fitted to get a general impression of how it goes together. (7)    (9).  The outer rim is not used on the Waverley, so this had to be removed. (10). I was then left with just the centre pieces. (11) (12)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 11:59:32 am »

The paddle blades were the bent in a vice, as per the guide lines, so as to fit across the newly cut inner rims. (13) (14)

The banjos were then fitted to the rims with 2mm nuts and bolts. The original suggestion was to cut 2mm rod into little rivet sizes and hammer them to get a close fit with movement. This did not appeal to me and I require a better accuracy ratio when working on details like these. I had to buy 200 nuts and bolts to cover the job in hand. (15) (16) (17)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 12:02:01 pm »

The paddle blades recommended material was mahogany sheet at 3mm, but I have opted for 3mm plastic, as it’s more flexible to work with and it’s water resistant. I’ve found that strips of the correct width can be bought from the DIY stores, so these were obtained. They were then cut to the desired length and fitted to the paddles with 4off, 2mm nuts and bolts, and locktight was glued around the ends. The banjos were countersunk at one end and a 2mm bolt was super glued in one end.  (18) (19).

These were left to dry overnight (20) and in the morning, the whole lot was fitted together. (21) (22) (23).  Major problems surfaced at this point, in that the feathering action was severely curtailed in movement.
Inspection revealed that the inside edges of the blades were a fraction too wide and were not travelling far enough inwards, so the whole lot was dismantled to have the edges shimmed down a few millimeters. (24)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 12:03:07 pm »

The feathering point of the banjo unit had me stumped, so I had to seek advice.
My thanks to Eddy for pointing me in the right direction. I’m new to paddlers and could be seeking further help yet.

It took all day to assemble the two sets of paddle wheels, but finally they are up and running. (25) (26)

The next stage involved the fitting of the drive shaft in the ship. First a pilot hole was drilled in the side as per the original drawings and a matching hole the other side was laser marked through the hull. These were drilled out to 6mm diameter and the brass bar run through. I then fitted on the paddle wheels temporarily  to get a general feel for the situation. The paddle boxes were cut with slots to slide down over the wheels. (27)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 12:04:32 pm »

The bearings problem became simple when it was found that some phosphor bronze bearings from a Tamiya car had 6mm holes in them. The outer diameter was drilled in the hull to accommodate these, and it is planned to epoxy some large washers each side to bed them in securely. How we stop water coming up the shaft is yet to be figured out.

We then moved on the deck cutting and fitting squarely. This was done on a fret saw and sanding wheels. (more dust and respirators!) (28)
The paddle wheels were fitted just to see the effect. It’s beginning to look the part now. (29)

The deck was removed and holes cut in where we want access under the proposed cabins on top. (30)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 12:05:41 pm »

Today was cut and glue day as last night I epoxied the deck stringers in place. I believe in overdoing the clamping as it tends to be rather permanent all this epoxy stuff. (32) (33)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 12:07:03 pm »

I have cleaned out the slots for the access holes. These will be edged in wood to take the cabins above.

Once again I couldn't resist fitting on top of the ship to see the fit. Overnight, the stringers have pushed out the sides a little, but not to worry as they will pull back together when the connecting stringers are fitted. (34) (35)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 12:08:59 pm »

Next off was to cut a template for the base floor. This was then transferred to the plywood and cut out. A little bit of sanding around the edges to ensure a nice fit and then it was epoxied in and held in place with four heavy batteries. While that's drying, I have called it a day to have a beer.

The floor will help me in the securing of the motor and sliders to encase the battery. I like to fit these major lumps before topping the deck as it makes access much easier. (36)

The next step was to build the Aft passenger lower cabin floor. (37) (38) (39)

I plan to fit this section with chairs and table lights that can be seen through the square windows. I had a go at making the back to back chairs today and try and find a good way of looking good. When I crack it, I shall be making upwards of 20 of em !!  No pictures  yet as I'm still working on it.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 12:11:49 pm »

The pool is inflated and filled and we're ready to go.

Today I placed the 'valuable project' into the water and she floated.   I then started ballasting her until she came down to marks

Unfortunately, I forgot there was portholes very low down and went to fetch some batteries. When I returned the ship was at the bottom of the pool.  (up to my old tricks again !!)

The ship was dried out and the portholes were taped over and we tried again. I am pleased to report that she will take a total ballast of 7 Kilo, which was two and a half  7 A/hr batteries. Very impressive, as I can run her on one large battery and have all the extras I was planning on.  (40) (43)

I noticed that the paddle wheel were not very low in the water, and would like to ask if you think I should fit them lower down please.  I have placed a twig against them to show the water height.(41) (42)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 12:13:53 pm »

It was then off to the workshop to design a bench seat, as I need a large number of these so I had to find the simple way of mass producing them.
here are a few samples made from plastic.  (47)  till my wife said 'why don't you make them of wood'

While this was going on. I had to make the extra pointy bit on the Bow, as it was not produced on the original Hull. I made plastic strips and secured them around the pointy bit and then filled it with car repair paste, which 'went off' in 6 minutes. I'll see what it sands down like tomorrow. (45) (46)

Back to the benches...  Once we had got the design in our head it was 'off and running'. I made about 23 before I called it a day. (44) ....back to the beer time.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 12:17:20 pm »

Well, once I got in the workshop, there was no stopping me. I've been working like a dog all day.

First the query on the paddle boxes some of you have raised. Upon inspection of the drawings it appears there are side pieces to be added. I cut them out and placed them on top of the boxes and the length just grew and grew, See pics  (48) (49) (50)

Looks more like it now eh !!  Thanks for that Derek, I need all the help I can get.  ;D.  I shall be securing the boxes and extra bits soon. I've yet to sand the hull to remove the flashing and production errors.

I removed one error today, when I notice one porthole out of line. Had to refill the hole and will relocate it when the filler is dry.

Decided to fit the edging strips around the deck access holes, ready for the cabins above. When they are dry, I can cut the cabins walls and fit them exactly to this surround. it should then be a waterproof type of seal, or at least, splash proof. (51) (52)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 12:18:08 pm »

I then filed down the filler on the Bow and refilled the gaps to raise the surface and match the hull. A bit more smoothing down and we shall have a new raised Bow end.  last picture above (53)

Did a bit of sanding on my home made bench seats by curving the  chair section to accommodate the passengers legs. Can't have them getting uncomfortable, can we.  8)  I drew some parallel lines across them to simulate wood planks and plan to stain them and varnish to match. I understand these are in fact some sort of life saver when thrown into the sea. There are supposed to be cords hanging from them to grab hold of in the water, but I don't know if this is being too fussy to build them !

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 12:20:48 pm »

HY ken,
Thats looking really good mate, very impressive. I will have to call over and have a closer look, well done
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 12:34:14 pm »

Thanks, Bosun.  The kettle's always on.  Don't get out much these days.

This build is really giving me pleasure. After making five in the last two years, I'm enjoying working with wood for a change. Unfortunately, the workshop is getting very dusty and it's getting everywhere.  :embarrassed:

Ken

pioneer

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2008, 01:41:09 pm »

Ken

You are making fantastic progress! Well done. O0

I hope the discs have arrived safely and trust they will be helpful.

Regards

Andrew

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2008, 02:04:31 pm »

I

Did a bit of sanding on my home made bench seats by curving the  chair section to accommodate the passengers legs. Can't have them getting uncomfortable, can we.  8)  I drew some parallel lines across them to simulate wood planks and plan to stain them and varnish to match. I understand these are in fact some sort of life saver when thrown into the sea. There are supposed to be cords hanging from them to grab hold of in the water, but I don't know if this is being too fussy to build them !

Dont know if this will help Ken.  :-\

Taken during 2003 refurbishment
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Stavros

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2008, 06:05:58 pm »

Hi Ken when working with GRP I allways have a hoover running to get rid of all the dust when filling drilling etc O0
Glad to see that those batts have their uses,bloomin invaluable they are for everything.With regards your paddles they seem high to me,but I have never had a paddler so ?????????

Stavros

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2008, 09:56:54 pm »

Hi Andrew.  Yes the disks arrived yesterday and I've gone through them. We liked the movie of the trip. It was super, and so well photographed, it was like being there.

I'm running this Blog on "Paddleducks" as well so now I've doubled my work load. Have to work longer in the shed.  :D

Hi Dicky.  Thanks for the seat information. regards being fussy, I thought of that as well. It all depends on how the rest of it goes. I already earmarked the 'Shed Widow' for sewing duties when she's free.  8)

Hi Stavros.  I use my breathing mask a lot of the time with all this wood dust around. (my fault for investing in all this power machinery !!)  also, I have a vacuum of my own running at full tilt. Have to empty it quite often.

Just love them heavy batteries. So many uses.  O0

The Paddle technology I've had to learn is unbelievable. It seems the depth has to be one paddle blade at six o/clock to be covered in water, and the second blade just entering the water, so I think I'm there. I can always chuck in another battery eh !

Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2008, 09:59:10 pm »

Onwards with the woodworking today.

I've cut loads of semicircles from 3mm ply in readiness for the curved front wall of the first cabin.  (54)  These were then glued together, one on top of the other and crushed in the vice. Later, they were removed and sanded to a nice curve.  (58)  My reason for doing it this way was because I couldn't bend any type of wood that sharp without snapping it.

I then made the walls of the various cabins and glued in position to get a good fit. (55) (56) (57)  The curved section was then added and braced into position. (58)  and a new flat piece was cut for the funnel section. (59)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2008, 10:01:25 pm »

As the funnels are standing on oblong boxes, I decided to make the platforms again using the bread and butter method of the previous design, so I had to cut loads of oblongs ready. (60)

These were then sanded in an oblong shape on the power tools and glued to the new funnel deck. To get an idea of the look, I used six tops from some old rattle paint cans to temporarily make some funnels. (61)

The top of the rear cabin was cut and glued to the side walls, but I notice that the wings are slightly curved. Must be a hot day. I'll see what it looks like tomorrow and decide what to do about it. (62)

I then marked out the paddle extension wings and cut them from ply. They are laid on to check the look at the moment. (64)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.