Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Waverley ...... my build  (Read 108414 times)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Waverley ...... my build
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2008, 10:07:36 pm »

Tug---Kenny Hi there

Your build is coming along great.  O0 O0

Just, food for thought; when you apply and fit your portlights - or portholes  O0   Have you thought about painting the inside of the hull where the portholes are located, with a clear epoxy resin?

This will seal the portholes (portlights) and prevent any water intake.  Just food for thought.

A thing to think about - is the actual glazing material of the portlight.  Some plastics do not like polyesters - not many - but best check first.

aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2008, 10:14:21 pm »

Thank you John. 

Yes, something will have to added inside, as you say.  I will test a piece of the glazing and might try this method.

Cheers...ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2008, 08:46:57 pm »

Thank you for all your comments on my build. They are much appreciated, as I am learning as I go along, so please keep them coming in.

Reference the pointy bit on the bow, known as the Spirket plate, I awoke at 3 o’clock this morning and it hit me like a thunderbolt. After warming the tea pot and re looking at her pictures, I realised the shape was too high. The length was bound to be right as I had proportioned it from some pictures of the real ship. I also knew it didn’t look right, but ‘I couldn’t see what was wrong’. The new height was calculated at 22mm, which meant a bit of cutting in morning.

Bright and early next morning, I shuffled out to the workshop and lasered a new line across and cut off the top bit. I then filled the anchor hole and relocated it to deck level.   (131).   A bit of filler and a re spray and she now looks better. (132)   especially when I laid the capping rail across it to line up with the stanchion height. I even put my little ‘Man’ behind the rail and his little elbows rested on the rail nice.

I’ve decided to stick with my original picture of 1975 and keep the 6 portholes as they do look the business.

It was then time to move to the stern for a bit of work. I drilled out the rudder hole for the outer brass tube and secured it in epoxy in a wood block. Turning her over I laid some more filler around the hull to build up a section to surround the new brass rudder. I’ve left this to dry overnight and will work it to shape and blend it to the hull to make a smooth flow for the water.

Hope I sleep better tonight. 

Ken.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #103 on: July 26, 2008, 09:00:45 pm »

Looks a lot better now Ken.

You get a good nights sleep  O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2008, 07:39:16 pm »

Woodwork time

After a good nights sleep and not wanting to do anything too strenuous, today I opened the matchstick container and laid out a few for the construction of the seats. (138).This involved laying 4 match sticks out with a tiny gap between them onto some sticky tape, upside-down. Small cross members were then cut and super glued sideways across them. When dried they were sanded smooth along their edges and wood stained. Next time, I will stain the wood first because I found, that where there was glue, it would not stain very nice, and left white patches.

The rear support pieces were then sanded at an angle and butt joined together to cause a sloping back to the seats. The original ‘backs’ were removed with a chisel and these new sections were then glued to the seats, which already had strips glued across them, and the whole lot stained again. (139)

There is a long bench affair running down the sides of the rear cabin, which is attached the wall, so I’ve made 20 sets of what looks like ‘duck boards’. These will be attached to a runner stuck on the wall. (139)

I then had a go at making the single benches. I fret sawed the side pieces and sanded them to be the same size and stuck them upright to the bench with blue-tack. I then laid out the match sticks across the sides and glued together. When dry, the edges were sanded smooth and my little people came out to try them for size. (141) (142) (143). Only 10 more to make!! with the slats a little 'squarer' perhaps. ;)

While in matchstick mode, I thought I would fit some to the curved seat in front of the first cabin. Unfortunately, these curve all around so it was very tricky to bend them. I have gone for the wood slats to stick outwards in a semi circle and am waiting for it to dry before seeing how it looks. At the moment it looks like a sun dial, so I don’t know if I’ll get away with it.

westcoaster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2008, 09:59:23 pm »

Hello again Kenny, yousay you moved the "anchor hole" to deck level - now there is an oval hole in the position you chose but this is for mooring lines. Waverley only has one anchor and it is on the starboard side just at the top of the black. If you look at www.river-clyde.org.uk/waverley.html there are some good pictures which should clarify what we're talking about. This River Clyde site is well worth a look as it has pictures of all types of vessels including tugs and puffers.
Best Wishes
Douglas

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2008, 05:06:13 pm »

Hi Westcoaster.

Yes, I meant the mooring line ports.   :embarrassed:

Also, the anchor is on the Port side, as shown in your reference picture. I didn't know she only had One anchor. (anyone want to buy a scale 1/48 anchor?)   ;)

ken

westcoaster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2008, 11:37:24 pm »

Hello Kenny, How embarrassed am I at quoting you the wrong side for the anchor. I hope the pictures on the River Clyde website will be helpful to you
Best Wishes
Douglas

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: August 06, 2008, 11:29:49 am »

Fitting out

The problem of the Paddle wheels has been solved. I am able to keep the shaft as one complete piece now. I realised the wheels were only 3mm larger than the boxes, so have cut the inside rim of the boxes back by this amount, and now the wheels slide on quite easily. The outside covers are unaffected by this and lay beautifully across.

I have rebuilt the wheels with brass blades, which are now a little larger than before. The nuts and 2mm bolts have been sanded flat, and secured with ‘loc tight’  (143)

I’ve finally got to look inside the hull. What a big space to work in. I’m leaving the deck fitting until last, so this time I can plan and place the working parts inside so that the will be easily accessible.

Wooden frames were constructed and cut to fit the curvature of the hull, and then epoxied into place overnight. The rudder and linkages were then secured and connected up using brass plates and screws. I have kept the arm and linkages short to cut out the wobbles and inaccuracies when steering her. (144) (145). 

I then painted the assembly in Gold to keep the water out, and also make it easier to see when enclosed by the deck. This area will be accessible through the hatch cover above, should any further maintenance be required.

The main drive motor was then lined up, with the drive wheels placed temporarily in position. As there was no securing holes or screws on them, I had to drill out these wheels with a 2mm hole, which proved to be very hard steel, and consequently broke several drills and also wandered off line, which ruined one of the wheels. A new one was ordered and this held me up for a few days, but all is well.  (146)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: August 13, 2008, 10:56:35 pm »

The motor has finally been mounted into a box of rubber. At the moment, I am using rubber bands to hold it in place, but hope to go for a type of rubber clip. The drive belt has been changed for a shorter one to eliminate the tension wheel system recently built, so this involved moving the motor nearer the shaft. I am leaving it pending at the moment as it’s taken a lot of my time and thoughts and I wanted to get on with another section.  (148).

I have finished the new paddle blades and secured it all with Loc tight. (147) and the next project involved fitting the bearings for the feathering wheels. To this end I have fitted 5mm box brass strip across them and secured it to wooden blocks inside the cover. This will make removing the wheels a lot easier, should the need arise. (149)

The rear cabin was then covered in thin strips of mahogany, to simulate wood planking, and to make the window openings all parallel and inline. The roof was sanded down, as I didn’t like the finish. I then re stained with a lighter pine colour. It’s come out a little blotchy so further thoughts are need here. I may have to plank it with real wood strips if I’ve got the time.

I then moved on to the fun side of the build by fitting sliding doors to the rear cabin. Pictures (150) (151) shows them open and closed.

Picture 147 also shows my new stand for her.  The mouse mat in the centre was purchased off Ebay and glued into position.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: August 14, 2008, 09:33:29 am »

Coming along beautifully Ken. Keep posting!

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2008, 10:13:00 am »

Looking good Ken  O0

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: August 14, 2008, 10:14:21 am »

Thank you Colin, and DickyD.

This is turning into a labour of love. At every turn, there is something to make.  The costs are being monitored by SWMBO and at present, we are up to £712. Yes, this is correct. What a financial nightmare.

We are nowhere near getting her wet, but crawling along at a steady pace. The rest of the portholes are on back order. My fault for choosing a foreign manufacturer, eh!!

Today I have before me, the cutting of hundreds of slats for the garden seats on the top deck. Yesterday, I tried making a guillotine, but failed miserably. The missus suggested scissors, so lets get stuck in.

The 'L' on my keyboard has now started fai!ing and requires hitting hard so  !ets get on with something usefu!!

ken

barryfoote

« Reply #113 on: August 14, 2008, 10:26:01 am »

Superb Kenny,

It is those repetitive jobs that sort the men from the boys. Your patience is admirable amigo.

Barry

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: August 14, 2008, 11:12:45 pm »

Today was very productive. First we cut up some chair side pieces and filled them with matchsticks. (152) (153).   When the glue dries, we will sand them smooth and finish off the edges.

The life saver raft seats were sprayed dark brown and ten holes were drilled around the side ready for the 200 life rings to be fitted. These rings were made of copper wire, all hand made to shape as per the pie in the box. (154) (155).

That was 11 hour’s which passed quite quick. Mind you, the sun came out for one of them, so I sat out in it, to get a tan!!!  Might have tomorrow off, if this weather keeps up.

barryfoote

« Reply #115 on: August 15, 2008, 08:18:21 am »

Sat in the sun!!!!!!!Kenny, you want to try it here.....Too damned hot....In the workroom the temperature in the afternoon sores to over 100 degrees F. Too hot to work in........Not funny......

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: August 15, 2008, 10:01:33 am »

Hi Barry

On!y seen the sun once this week, so far, so had to take advantage eh  ;)

I was wondering what that sort of heat does to plastic models ? Does it bend the shapes and do they recover ? I always move mine from the sun when I'm at shows because of this fear.

I'm off work today as it seems the grass and hedges need cutting.  ::)  then it's off to the computer shop to get a new keyboard. I've run out of the letter e!!  ( the one between K & M )  {-)  It made a crunching noise and now doesn't work at a!!.

ken

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #117 on: August 15, 2008, 10:42:32 am »

I'm off work today as it seems the grass and hedges need cutting.  ::)  then it's off to the computer shop to get a new keyboard. I've run out of the letter e!!  ( the one between K & M )  {-)  It made a crunching noise and now doesn't work at a!!.

ken

What sort of keyboard is that Ken. There is no letter between K and M on mine and the E is miles away. ?  :-\

Seats look great by the way.  O0

barryfoote

« Reply #118 on: August 15, 2008, 10:47:05 am »

Hi Ken,

The sun, particularly when it is this hot can play havos with plastic, but only after prolonged exposure. It actually corrodes many types of plastic so it crumbles away. Short periods don't seem to bother it too much though. I have never had a problem, but then I do try to stay shaded if possible.. O0

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #119 on: August 15, 2008, 11:45:26 am »

So what bits of you are made of plastic Barry ?  :-\

barryfoote

« Reply #120 on: August 15, 2008, 01:26:03 pm »

So what bits of you are made of plastic Barry ?  :-\

Excellent Richard......You spotted the deliberate mistak.. >:(

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #121 on: August 15, 2008, 01:37:27 pm »

To much time, to little to do Barry  :(

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: August 15, 2008, 08:46:48 pm »

Thanks for that, Barry. I wondered whether the plastic would buckle and go out of shape permanently. best not to overdo the heat anyway Hmmm!!

I've got my keyboard and it feels great. All the L's I could have wished for .  {-). This was the missing letter, Dicky. The nearest shape I could find was a !.   ;)

No construction today as the south lawns took longer than I thought. Must be getting old. Well I'm off to a two day boating day at Brynbach Park open day, in the Valleys for the weekend, so a lot of sitting around watching the 'stock'  Hmmmm,  sounds great.

ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: August 18, 2008, 10:23:43 am »

Thanks for the pictures of the seats, Mick. What super detail.

I plan to use white 'rope' between the eyelets, but looking at your picture they seem a little large in diameter. Also, I have used too dark a Brown for the colour, so it's off to the shop for a lighter version and do it all again.

I am not pleased with the cabin construction. I was compounding the errors by trying to improve on a bad design. To this end I have started building 'Both' new cabins from thinner plywood. I must say that it's coming out better than expected, and I'm all fired up with enthusiasm again. (156) (157) (158)

I spent 10 hours yesterday cutting all the square windows and doors out, and have stained the timber 'Before' gluing it together this time, and, although I say it myself, it's beginning to look the part, Yippee !!.  I might even scribe the black lines around the doors, just like your picture. How far, is going too far??  Because of the scale, I have already reduced the number of planks on the seats. I don't want to get too bogged down with the tiny details, because I'm running out of sailing time.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #124 on: August 18, 2008, 10:38:13 am »

Good move Ken, looks a lot better. O0
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.