Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Waverley ...... my build  (Read 108423 times)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Waverley ...... my build
« Reply #175 on: September 17, 2008, 09:16:19 pm »

I have heard she's difficult to manoeuvre. Imagine the problems I'm going to have when I ever get to the water (with my record!!)    8)

Being the most photographed ship in history, there will always be someone ready to snap her in her most awkward position, I suppose.

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Eddy Matthews

« Reply #176 on: September 17, 2008, 09:26:50 pm »

I have heard she's difficult to manoeuvre. Imagine the problems I'm going to have when I ever get to the water (with my record!!)    8)

Being the most photographed ship in history, there will always be someone ready to snap her in her most awkward position, I suppose.

ken

The version I heard was that it was a structural failure of the pier, not Waverley ramming into it....

Regards
Eddy

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #177 on: September 17, 2008, 09:32:20 pm »

There you go .....  People see the ship ..........  People film the ship ......... People jump to conclusions.   ::)

You should be alright, Colin. She's made of sterner stuff. I know, cuz I've studied the drawings.

ken

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #178 on: September 17, 2008, 09:38:46 pm »

Definitely rammed Yarmouth pier. Said it hit Worthing pier on the news.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #179 on: September 17, 2008, 09:43:24 pm »

You aren't aboard Ken are you....  ::)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #180 on: September 17, 2008, 09:49:15 pm »

Now Now ............ :angel:

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #181 on: September 18, 2008, 07:58:40 pm »

Today I thought I would make dome Air vents. First I cut blocks of wood for the tops and fitted them with some dowel rod. (206) When the glue dried, I turned the square pieces to a round shape, on a sanding belt and finished off with a file and sandpaper. I then drilled out the top holes to act as recesses. (207) and the 6 were then sprayed with primer and left overnight.
  Having nothing better to make or do, I decided to commit and start gluing the seats to the cabin roof. I also cut the Davits from their frames and glued these to the roofs as well. (208) (209)

Going by your pictures, I have made the inserts for the funnels and sprayed them black. These are different for each funnel, so were glued in their correct positions. The picture was black on black and didn’t show this feature very well, so I have altered the contrast to make it show up better. (210)

A loudspeaker has been fitted to the underside of the front funnel for my sound machine, and a suitable baffle box was fitted to the back of it, to project the sound upwards through the funnel.

I notice that the Perspex fitted inside to the fibreglass hull was starting to come adrift. I shall be applying P38 filler around the edges to seal it back in. Gotta keep the water out somehow !!

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #182 on: September 22, 2008, 07:53:04 pm »

The primer is now dry on the air vents (211) so they were sprayed a bronze colour and put aside to dry.

We decided to commit ourselves and finally glued down the deck (212) with epoxy resin. The gaps were filled later in the evening with P38.

Today was spent cutting the deck planking boards and fitting them to the boat. This took a lot of time and a lot of off cuts resulted!! All funny shapes left over, full of curves and angle cuts. (213).The finished result has transformed her and another mini movie was made. I forgot to take a few ‘still’ photos, so I’ll add them tomorrow.

We then decided to complete the upper cabin lighting systems and here is a start. (214)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #183 on: September 24, 2008, 07:47:02 pm »

The deck planking came out well, so it was decided to proceed with fitting the extras on top. (215) (216)

First we glued the inflatable seating all around the place, as per photos in our collection. Next to be fitted were the air vents and anchor winch.

The platforms above the paddle boxes were then lined up and support rods were cut and partially glued to them. They will be lined up and cut to height as the next job.

A new rear hatch cover was then made to replace the old one, which was a bit high and also dark in colour. (217) a clip arrangement was made to locate and hold the piece in place. Although not quite waterproof, it’s not really intended for the high seas.  We have yet to populate it with the spare steering mechanism and pipes and boxes.

Further movie clips were taken, plus a few stills.

As we are leaving the build for then next two weeks or so, it was decided to place all the bits on the boat to encourage us to finish her off, on our return. (218)

I'll shall have my laptop with me, so if you want a chat, I'll be here.

ken

barryfoote

« Reply #184 on: September 25, 2008, 08:19:39 am »

Kenny,

She really is looking the part now and done so quickly too. Not long now before her maiden voyage!!

Barry

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #185 on: September 25, 2008, 12:52:24 pm »

Dear Ken Hi there

How can I put this one - but - yesterday I ventured into the dark corners of the loft  - where I store a good lot of plans.   I was looking for a particular plan which I had received from Shipmate60 - what plan did I discover - its the Marine Modelling Plan - 2 sheets of The Waverley - yes the Paddlesteamer!  On the plans there are suggested motor, gearbox, drives - you name it - it is all on the Plans.  If you need them you know where they are - I will send you them if you let me know.   Bit late now, I am so sorry.  Senior moments ya nar.....

aye
John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #186 on: September 25, 2008, 08:33:44 pm »

Kenny,

She really is looking the part now and done so quickly too. Not long now before her maiden voyage!!

Barry

Thanks Barry, it does seem to be motoring now. Who forgot the railings. :embarrassed:  Today was spent with a bit of quiet painting and touching up. Amazing how you can scratch it by turning it around on the table. ::)

Oh well, it'll have to wait until I get back from the holiday.

ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #187 on: September 25, 2008, 08:37:56 pm »

I was looking for a particular plan which I had received from Shipmate60 - what plan did I discover - its the Marine Modelling Plan - 2 sheets of The Waverley - yes the Paddlesteamer!  On the plans there are suggested motor, gearbox, drives - you name it - it is all on the Plans.  If you need them you know where they are - I will send you them if you let me know.   
John

Thanks for thinking of me, John. Yes please. I would indeed like them. I can get them copied and return them to you, when I return from holiday.

What a club, this is. All the help a chap could ask for. I'm very grateful.

Cheers

Ken

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #188 on: September 25, 2008, 09:44:04 pm »

Today I thought I would make dome Air vents. First I cut blocks of wood for the tops and fitted them with some dowel rod. (206) When the glue dried, I turned the square pieces to a round shape, on a sanding belt and finished off with a file and sandpaper. I then drilled out the top holes to act as recesses. (207) and the 6 were then sprayed with primer and left overnight.
  Having nothing better to make or do, I decided to commit and start gluing the seats to the cabin roof. I also cut the Davits from their frames and glued these to the roofs as well. (208) (209)

Going by your pictures, I have made the inserts for the funnels and sprayed them black. These are different for each funnel, so were glued in their correct positions. The picture was black on black and didn’t show this feature very well, so I have altered the contrast to make it show up better. (210)

A loudspeaker has been fitted to the underside of the front funnel for my sound machine, and a suitable baffle box was fitted to the back of it, to project the sound upwards through the funnel.

I notice that the Perspex fitted inside to the fibreglass hull was starting to come adrift. I shall be applying P38 filler around the edges to seal it back in. Gotta keep the water out somehow !!

Looking at the pics of your ventilators I couldn't help but think back and recall that making the things in just the same way as you have done gave me the notion of making a little vac-form machine that gives better results than just carving the things out of wood. Engine Room vents due to their size can make or break a model....and yours would benefit most handsomely by having vac formed units.
I'm sure that I have explained the process and simplicity on an earlier post, but I can always post it again if there is enough interest. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #189 on: September 26, 2008, 10:51:42 am »

Hi Brian

Yes, they are a bit of smile aren't they.

I've decided not to use them as they are totally wrong. I have purchased some commercial ones that look close enough to the real thing, so have fitted these now.

I am interested in your 'Vac' forming idea. Could have done with that for some of the other items. (chairs maybee?)  I am going ahead with the inside furniture, which will show when the cabin is removed. Tables and loungers, etc. Glutton for punishment, me. (man with time on hands!)

Build continues after holiday. Must get away for a break.

ken

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #190 on: September 26, 2008, 01:44:01 pm »

have a good holiday  O0
Phil
Steamed up all the time

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #191 on: October 22, 2008, 09:25:58 pm »

Back from the holidays and straight into the workshop. I’ve been working on the little detailed parts, so have not had anything to show lately.

I have repainted the cabins to a darker brown of my own mixture. This came out rather well, as it tended to cover the small imperfections that were beginning to creep in to the build.

I have re sprayed the lifeboats (again) as, during my break, the wood stain was leeching through the previous white coat and looking awful.  Tip of the day…don’t paint on top of wood stain.

I have completed the moving radar unit. This was done with a miniature servo with the insides cut out. The reduction gearing was connected up and it rotated a bit fast, so I made a 2.8 volt speed control to slow it down to the correct speed. This saves adding silly little batteries, and can be run directly off the main 12 volt system.

All the air vents were painted brown and attached to the decking, and I even painted the inside edge red for effect.

The life rafts were sprayed and will be fitted later. I’m now working in the sliding doors as there are six of these to be glazed and fitted with tiny handles.

I have the latest pictures below, (219  to  225),  along with a Youtube Video of her sitting on our dustbin in the garden. This shows the latest stage of the build and promises completion by Christmas.  (must do something about that paint bleeding !!)

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly6FOqISXtU

Onwards and upwards

ken

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #192 on: October 22, 2008, 09:46:11 pm »

Hy Ken
Hope you had a good holiday, the boat is looking good, will have to call over and have a look.

PS... I have just ordered the Englishman from Model SlipwaY... will have to do a build log when I start it, glutton for punishment me.
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #193 on: October 22, 2008, 09:54:37 pm »

Lovely stuff Ken! Just like being there.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #194 on: October 23, 2008, 11:15:24 am »

Thanks guys. I think we are over the worst now !!

One quick question.  I shall try her in the water soon, so I've arranged the batteries as 3 of, 12 volt, 7 amp/hour, and laid them out into containers (restrainers in the event of collision?).

Am I correct in assuming the boat will balance at exactly the centre point of the paddle wheels?  I placed her on a tube at this point and re arranged the batteries so that she balanced evenly.

Today I shall be fitting the sliding doors. Gotta make her like the real one. Doors to slide forehead in the event of a sudden stop.  I seem to have accident prevention on my mind. Probably due to the costs involved so far !!

ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #195 on: October 25, 2008, 08:42:11 pm »

Today I assembled the MMB smoke machine to some additional piping and fired her up. (226)

I then placed on the funnels to see what the effect might be. (227)

The whole assembly was then fitted into the boat and another piece of the movie was made. (228)

The life raft assemblies were then attached to the deck, along with the green covered boxes. (I still don’t know what’s in them ?) (229)

I’ve noticed the exit doors on the waterline by the paddles were not painted on the lower section to match the hull black, so this was put right. I’ve also removed the lifebelts as this didn’t look right.

There is now no excuse for not starting the stanchions, so here we go………

But first we shall attempt the gangways.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #196 on: October 25, 2008, 10:11:57 pm »

hi Kenny .I was up in the Glasgow transport museum and saw a nice model of Waverley so i took some photos for you. Sorry about the quality  put the lighting was terrible and the green cloth the models were on did not help.

john

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #197 on: October 25, 2008, 10:25:23 pm »

Thank you for the pictures, John. Most helpful. Every model I see, has variations, albeit, tiny. It's amazing how she can differ during her life.

I shall be incorporating some of the parts that I have seen and enhancer her a bit more.

Cheers...Ken

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #198 on: October 25, 2008, 10:31:26 pm »

no worries Kenny . I would have got some photos of the real one by the science museum on the Clyde ,but he rain was going horizontal so no chances of any out door photos.

PS your model is looking real good starting to take shape now.
john 

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #199 on: October 25, 2008, 10:44:24 pm »

If you are going down, could you 'snap' the wheelhouse roof please. It seems to be a mixture of objects that I would like to get right.

I've got the radar and the box behind and the stubby mast with light, but there seems to be other items cluttered around that I can't make out.   :-))

Cheers...ken
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.