Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Waverley ...... my build  (Read 108638 times)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Waverley ...... my build
« Reply #200 on: October 27, 2008, 07:09:30 pm »

Lifeboats

I have gone with grey rope in the end, as other colours look a bit garish. (232)  I have glued the rope in place and it has, unfortunately, damaged some of the paintwork. I then had to repair this and its come out reasonably well. 

I then got on with making three gangways. I have used plastic tubes and angles and fitted tiny stepping bars made from matchsticks. Two are 17mm wide and one is wider, for wheelchairs. I had thought about making a wheelchair but decided that life was too short. (230) (231)

I don't know yet whether to paint this structure or leave it 'as is' because it doesn't look too bad in white.

I had half a day today as it was getting quite cold out in the shed. 

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

dan

« Reply #201 on: October 30, 2008, 05:15:56 pm »

you want to get a heater in your shed ken like i have, then you can carry on working all day  :-))

ive been away for a while and just caught up on your progress and it realy does look fantastic! How long will it be until i see it on the lake  %)

cheers, dan

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #202 on: October 30, 2008, 06:53:37 pm »

Hi Dan

Hopefully before Christmas. Fitted the mast today and now she's looking like a boat.

The girl fell off the walkway and I accidently stood on her and broke her arms and legs. Not an omen, I hope. ;)

ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #203 on: October 31, 2008, 08:03:52 pm »

We are now on to the upper boat deck supports. 32 pieces of 5mm dowel have been cut and painted and are now ready for fitting. (237)

Holes have been drilled into the deck, (4.8mm) and the dowels hammered into place, so that the cabin roof just rests on the top of the pillars. (238)

This was also done for the front cabin and the whole lot were levelled off, so that the cabins rested flat on the deck supports. The cabins can be removed for maintenance, leaving the supports quite firmly upright in the deck. (239) (240)

The Front mast was glued into place with a securing block underneath and inclined to the correct angle. The rear mast was also fitted to the cabin roof with its block secured underneath.

The gangways have been painted a light grey with the duck boards painted brown. I have some fishing net in mind for the sides, when it’s all dry,

I then set about making the mast bands from copper strip and drilling out the tiny holes for the mast support wires.

The deck edging was repainted white, to cover the scratches and dings from the build, and now I have no excuse for not fitting the stanchions.

As an after thought, I have been marking the planking with a pen to simulate the joins.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #204 on: November 04, 2008, 04:50:05 pm »

Stanchions & Railings

We finally reach the fitting of the stanchions. I was dreading this moment as they are quite tiny affairs. The stanchions are the three-hole type with a handrail to be fitted at the top.

I drilled out their positions with a 0.7mm drill, all along the deck by following a jig, to ensure every one was the same distance apart. Two drill later!! I had completed the task.

The stanchions were then fitted in the holes and super-glued overnight. Today I threaded the fine wire through all the holes and have left it like that whilst my eyes recover. (241) (243)

You will notice that the wire is covered in a green finish, so this will mean I have to paint them white, when finished. This is not my favourite job, as mistakes can happen and spoilt the overall effect. I shall do my best with masking and hope it doesn’t drip too much.

While I was looking at her during one of my many tea breaks, I realised the upright pillars to the upper decks were too thick, at 5mm.  These were then cut off at deck level and 3mm holes drilled into the bases. New pillars were then inserted in their place and cut level at the tops to accommodate the floors of the upper decks. (232)

During the intricate messing about, I managed to snap the main mast and damage the wiring the mast light, so it was back to the wood shop to make another. This was turned and sanded to a taper and a groove was cut into the shaft for the wires. A new LED was wired into the top and wires run to the base. The mast was painted and left to dry overnight. This was refitted to the deck and actually looks better than the old one ?

barryfoote

« Reply #205 on: November 04, 2008, 05:19:36 pm »

Kenny,

Coming on a treat now amigo. I have a roll of that grren covered wire, very fine and perfect for staunchions. That said, I cannot remember where this wire originates or what it's true purpose is. Any ideas?

Dave Buckingham

« Reply #206 on: November 04, 2008, 06:40:10 pm »

Hi Barry

Cake decoration wire or even garden wire is covered in green

Dave

packy46

« Reply #207 on: November 04, 2008, 07:11:01 pm »

Tug Kenny:
Absolutely Magnificent.....
Congratulation on a beautiful job.
Tim

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #208 on: November 04, 2008, 08:26:15 pm »

Kenny,

Coming on a treat now amigo. I have a roll of that grren covered wire, very fine and perfect for staunchions. That said, I cannot remember where this wire originates or what it's true purpose is. Any ideas?

Yes, Dave is right. I got mine from the hobby shop. It's sold as wire wrap for flowers and is only 0.5.. diameter. It's quite sturdy stuff, but will take bending and re straightening very well.

You get quite a lot in the packet as well. I wish I could remember the price, but it wasn't that expensive.

Thanks for the compliments. I hope to 'water test' her within the week.

ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #209 on: November 04, 2008, 08:29:01 pm »

Tug Kenny:
Absolutely Magnificent.....
Congratulation on a beautiful job.
Tim

Thanks Tim.  I'm beginning to feel a bit proud of this one. Trouble is, when I'm on my tea break sitting and looking at her, I can always find something that need changing.

ken

packy46

« Reply #210 on: November 04, 2008, 09:44:46 pm »

Kenny....
No change needed in our eye's.
Ken , you must be tired,how many hours on the ship so far.
Again superb  job....
Tim

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #211 on: November 04, 2008, 10:46:45 pm »

Hi Tim

It's been 140 days, so far. Costs have now risen to over £900, and you're right.  I am tired a bit.  ;)   I'll probably fall in the lake when I launch her.

ken

packy46

« Reply #212 on: November 05, 2008, 12:27:00 am »

Ken:
Good luck on the launch...
Job well done!!!!
Tim

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #213 on: November 05, 2008, 08:09:52 pm »

I finally glued all the stanchions and wire together today. The job took over 5 hours with me on my knees, eye level with the bench and pliers and magnifying glass in hand.

It’s time now to think about the railing on the top. I shall fit a wooden one until I get to the stern curve, where I shall probably substitute plastic.

The rear ‘fender’ has been fitted from a solid piece of rubber with a flat cut along its edge and secured with contact adhesive. (244) (245)

The rear life raft canisters were then fitted to the upper cabin roof and some ’little people’ scattered around for effect. (246)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #214 on: November 07, 2008, 07:40:40 pm »

I have been busy tidying up deck area today. The lifeboats have been strung to the davits and a few extra little parts added. The electronics was set up and the lights plugged in. 32 at the last count. Even the two spotlights on the bridge deck shone away backwards at the lifeboats. Just the railings to go, when I cut the wood.

I took her out to the sunshine for filming, so here is the latest position. (247) (248) (249)

I’m taking the day off tomorrow as I’m away to the boat fair at Warwick. Goodness knows what will take my fancy next.

Sunday, she hits the water. I have the batteries on board and it all checks out on the bench. What can possible go wrong!!

dan

« Reply #215 on: November 07, 2008, 08:57:53 pm »

hate to be the one that tells you ken but the wether isnt looking to good for sunday  {:-{

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #216 on: November 07, 2008, 10:13:17 pm »

Story of my life ................  {-)

Gotta go anyway. I must balance her.  The missis won't let me put the pool up.

ken

see you there. :-))

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #217 on: November 09, 2008, 02:27:14 pm »

Launch Day

Weather forecast: Windy from the North West, Rain squalls, blustery, and, Oh! Did I mention Rain?

I went to my Boat club’s lake today and met a few hardy souls with their models. After sheltering under a tree and with members drifting away, I thought it was time for the Waverley’s float test.

Well I’m pleased to report that she floats evenly and did look the part out on the water. The engine was started and off we went. The rain eased as if in appreciation of my plight and I was able to take some snap shots of her underway. I have also recorded some Movie clips for my build film, which is coming out by Christmas. The rear cover was then spotted on the bank, so worrying about water ingress to the boat, she was brought in. I wish I had varnished the decks as they were quite damp. The lifeboats were swimming in the stuff

As far as sailing goes, I noted that she was quite stable but manoeuvring was sluggish. The acceleration is also slow and gentle control of the paddle speed is vital as full speed tended to send water all over the place.

All in all, it was a graceful way of boating and I really enjoyed it. All that remains to do is the capping rails and the rigging and she can go on the shelf ready for next years sailing regattas.

dan

« Reply #218 on: November 09, 2008, 04:03:44 pm »

looks great ken, shame i wasnt there to see it but the wether put me off as it was chucking it down where i live  >>:-(
i suppose ill see it again though.

cheers, dan

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #219 on: November 09, 2008, 04:11:40 pm »

Yes, it was great fun. I thought the camera might give up on me, but it survived OK.

ken

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #220 on: November 09, 2008, 04:20:49 pm »

Hi there Kenny

she looks very graceful in the water my friend....well worth the effort and time you have put into the build  :-)) :-))

aye
john
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #221 on: November 09, 2008, 04:37:11 pm »

Thank you, John. You are right. Very different to Tugs. A hot balmy sunny day at the lakeside. Can't think of anything more relaxing, while watching her cruise around.

I'm spurred on to finish her now. How about lifeboats that lower and retrieve ............. no stop it, that's too much. ;)

ken

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #222 on: November 09, 2008, 04:46:43 pm »

Hi Ken

Looks really good, there is just one thing thats been bugging me, are you sure your paint scheme is accurate ?
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #223 on: November 09, 2008, 05:16:38 pm »

Hi Dicky, thank you for your comments.

Just waiting for the coloured strips along the sides. Can't use the Yellow as it wasn't on the 1975 version.

Also on the theme of accuracy, I like the Four lifeboat version ( being a flash Git!!) but do have a changeover switch to convert two of the lifeboats with two canisters for competition time.  8) 

There are little runners on the roof to slip either one in place, should I see the judges come around. ;)

ken

barryfoote

« Reply #224 on: November 09, 2008, 07:10:04 pm »

Richard,

Well spotted there old bean.....

Kenny,
She is beautiful my friend...

Barry :-)) :-))
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 21 queries.