Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Waverley ...... my build  (Read 107946 times)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: Waverley ...... my build
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2008, 08:13:16 am »

Hi Ken 1:48 scale model people might be a problem but if you can use 1:50 try Virtual Village they do 100 unpainted figures for £5.49 plus p&p.

http://www.virtualvillage.co.uk/store/category.aspx?sck=25464075&Page=2&Sort=1&catid=29045

I have some spare 1:50 people. If you want to try them for size PM me.   O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Alastair_I

« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2008, 09:47:27 am »

1:48 should not be a problem.  It is one of the easiest scales to find model figures in.

It's the standard O-scale for US model railways, so any US model railway supplier (there's a few retailers in the UK, I'll try and come up with a few later) will be able to supply a reasonable selection (note that the UK O-scale equivilent is 1:43.5 and the European equivilent is 1:45.. so the plentiful Preiser O-scale figures will be slightly off-scale but close enough for 1:48).  Have a look here and here for one supplier of the Preiser 1:45 in painted and unpainted packs, there is also a selection of architectural figures available in 1:50 from suppliers such as this one (but given the prices you'll soon find out why architectural models are so poorly populated!).

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2008, 10:50:01 am »

Thank you for all the suggestions. I have 100 of size 1/50 from China which are painted. The man on the bridge above is one of these. When sized against a version from Model slipway's 1/48,  there is an apparent difference in size, which amazed me.

I would have thought that small differences at this size would not have been so obvious, but they cannot be mixed.  It's a case of stick to one make throughout all will be well.

The trouble with my crew is that I have to teach them to swim.  ;)
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2008, 02:29:34 pm »

Sorry Ken thought I was going to save you some money. ::)  :embarrassed:

pioneer

« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2008, 01:07:21 pm »

Hi Ken

I`ve found an interesting website which should be a great help with deck details and layout. It is a virtul tour of Waverley! You can click on the on screen arrows to move to another area or click on the list at the side. You click and hold on the picture and as you move your mouse around the picture moves in that direction.

http://www.aetours.co.uk/waverley1/

Before anyone asks, no I don't know how it's done! ;D

There is sound file of the Waverley thundering along as you look at the pictures. Hope you had an enjoyable weeks break.

Regards

Andrew

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2008, 08:05:15 pm »

WOW

That is absolutely fantastic.

I have had some help so far, but this is more than I could have asked for.

I shall have no excuses now, but to get on with the build. There seems to be a few chairs to build, eh DickyD!!

Thank you, Pioneer. A wonderful find. Now if only I could buy the CD.  8)

Cheers...Ken

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2008, 08:49:07 pm »

Looking very good! (not sure why I didn't notice your recent updates, as I was following this thread with interest earlier)

That panoramic view site is very interesting (not to mention great for detail reference!) - it's a shame this hasn't been done with more historic ships.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2008, 09:04:38 pm »

I've been back for the non conducted tour. Amazing what you notice the second time around.

I was trying to source the manufacturer of this fine movie, but not having much luck. How on earth did you find it, Pioneer?

Not much to report on my build as I'm sourcing more parts at the moment. Unfortunately, some more work has come in commercially, so there will also be this delay.

Keep you posted

Ken

pioneer

« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2008, 11:05:45 pm »

Hi Ken

I found the virtual tour by complete accident this morning while trying to find the contact details for Caledonian Macbraynes head office in gourock. The link was at the bottom of this page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caledonian_MacBrayne

I never fail to be amazed at what surprises the internet can provide.

I'm delighted to have been able to pass on the link. What a very special site this is! Thank you Martin!! O0

Regards

Andrew 

barryfoote

« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2008, 08:28:11 am »

Kenny

She is looking great. I have not been able to access this thread for some time as it kept timing out on me but being a persistant devil, I finally managed this morning and am so glad I did. Keep it up amigo.

Barry

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2008, 09:53:37 pm »

Thanks again, Pioneer.  O0

Hi Barry. Thanks for that. I'm really enjoying this build. Talk about scratch building, this one is total research. I now have loads of clues, thanks to pioneer.

I am sourcing parts at the moment and having trouble getting the large 'Air vents'.   They are 12mm diameter and 64mm tall (yes!!)  I've tried heating a plastic tube in boiling water and inserting a wooden dowel in the end and giving it a twist. What a laugh. Anyone want a floppy, bent out of line bits of plastic?  Well it made me smile anyway. There's more to this scratch building than meets the eye.  8)

Have broken off to repair some pianos this week. Very handy 'Pin money'. Should keep me in superglue for a few weeks. ;)

Ken

Stavros

« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2008, 10:10:24 pm »

Hi Ken I will check out my stock in the morning as I think I bought some at a show from Mountfiled modles will measuse them for you

Stavros

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2008, 10:14:58 pm »

Thank you Stavros. Sounds great.  I was wondering if boat kit manufacturers would sell off parts, as my trawler has something similar, which could be lengthened.

I have a largish tolerance with the diameter and could run between 11mm and 14mm, I suppose. O0

Ken

Stavros

« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2008, 10:18:43 pm »

Ken pm me your tel no and I will ring you in the morning

Stavros

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2008, 07:49:38 pm »

I've got back into gear and opened up the workshop again, so it’s on with the scruffy clothes and radio on with a cup of tea.

Today I thought I would make a trolley for the new boat as she is 62 inches long and could be a bit unwieldy on the way to the lake.

I have acquired a disused child's wheelchair and stripped it down of non essential bits. I then sanded it down and sprayed it brown. I then made a stand for the boat and attached some steel legs to insert in the trolley. This has been painted gold and is drying nicely out in the sun. (101) (102) (103)

This is removable, so the boat can stay on it and the trolley collapses for easy car transporting. My wife says "no matter how much you try to disguise it, it still look like a wheelchair"  Our workshop now looks like a clinic.   :embarrassed:

Back in the workshop, I considered the lifeboats and how to make them. I have tried various methods and am running three types of design. (105) (105) (106)

I have opted for the carved out of solid wood version and have produced four. They are carved out inside and benches have been fitted. I then glued some thin veneer around the top outside edge and clamped this to the keel/ end posts. They have been set aside to dry overnight. (108)  Tomorrow I shall sand down the outside keel frame to a modest size.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2008, 07:52:02 pm »

The four lifeboats are sanded down and seats fitted, so it was out with the undercoat. They dried out nice during the night and filled the flaws quite nicely, so today I applied the top coat (109)

The funnels have three colours so, as the top was black, I decided to keep the original plastic colour here and taped off ready for the other colours. I sprayed the funnel tubes with red oxide and it's drying nicely. (110)

To continue on the paddle boxes, I've decided to re fit the wooden tops to them, as this will bring their height up to deck level. (111) (112)

I shall be fitting edging strips around them to improve their look. Also planned, is to fit a sealed cover under the inside edge to make airtight boxes around the wheels, so if she should heal over, it might help keep her afloat.

barryfoote

« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2008, 07:45:25 am »

Just love your dedication and imagination. Excellent work on the lifeboats. You have given me some good ideas there. I am waiting for some balsa to be delivered before I start the boats for Lady T.

Cheers Ken

Barry

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2008, 11:55:52 am »

The life boats are small enough not to worry about their weight, so I decided not to use Balsa wood. I used a close grain lump of timber about 2" x 2" x 6" and just whittled away until they looked right. The only details I had were the length of the boats from the plans. I'm not sure what the wood was, but having seen the result, I thought I might use a classy piece next time to leave unpainted and show the grain when varnished.

Mind you, I had a ton of chippings on the floor when finished.  The power tools used were unbelievable.

First there was the power saw, followed by the powered fretsaw, to cut the block down to a rough boat type of shape.  The outside was then sanded with a circular sander and smoothed with a powered sanding belt and finished off with a small file and then hand sanded down smooth.

The insides of the lifeboat were then drilled out with a vertical power drill using a 1/4 inch drill all around the inside edge to a variable depth to suit the curvature of the hull. I actually ruined one boat by drilling right through to the outside edge, so it was back to the start for another one. (wish I'd made a spare when I had to tools set up !!)

This was followed by a modified wood drill (with a flat top) fitted in the power bench drill to gouge out the insides. The piece being held in the hand whilst doing this. The vibrations were quite something, and 'Health and safety' would have been horrified to watch. The wood was quite hard so it stood up to this kind of savage treatment. 

The rough insides were then fettled smoother with a hand held Dremmel sanding drum, and finally smoothed out with sandpaper.

I then made the little bench seats from thin planking wood and glued them in place. The keel was a one piece of three ply, 3.6mm thick which was fret sawed to surround the boats and sanded to ensure a snug wrap around and glued in place. I then glued an edging strip around the bulwarks. When dry the edges were power sanded about 3mm all around the hull to simulate the keel and rudder posts. The tiny gaps were filled with wood filler and sandpapered to a smooth exterior.

The boats were then sealed with red oxide spray a few times, and the top coat of white was gradually sprayed on a little bit at a time during the day so as not to produce any runs. During the gap in production, I was making a plank on frame version. I had cut the frames out and glued them to the keel and was placing a plank on with super glue every hour. These were held in place with little clamps and was very labour intensive. I'm now up to the top level on both sides and looks quite 'boaty' Pictures to follow.

Part two involves fitting the hand held ropes all around the edges and not forgetting the rowlocks and oars. I'll let you know how I get on.

Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2008, 08:33:12 pm »

It was a nice warm day today, so it called for more painting. I have masked off, and sprayed the funnels. (113)  Also painted again were the lifeboats. These now have a coat of brown on the inside and the outside sprayed white, yet again. (it all adds to the smoothness of the finish)

Further work was done strengthening the paddle boxes. I have secured the lower fins (it’s what I call them) which taper to the hull from the curved sections, by fitting a small length of wood underneath to contact the hull, all epoxied in.

I noticed that there were three little portholes under this section already cut out, so I have re filled them with epoxy car filler. We don’t want windows below the water line now, do we?

The rear cover for the rudder was then covered in veneer to simulate wood planks. This is my first attempt at this caper so it’s good to start on something small. Good job I chose this as the learning curve is quite steep. So much can go wrong. Glue leakage going on the fingers and being transferred back to the veneer’s top surface.  Ugh!!!  No pictures yet.

I am now awaiting potholes and other things, so the building is paused until they arrive.

The parts built so far were then assembled on the model and taken out into the sun for some more movie clips to be made. These will be added together and edited for another ‘You tube’ build

Here are a few stills of the progress so far. (114) (115) (116)

If you can see any mistakes in the design, I would appreciate you telling me now before I start painting the hull and fitting permanent things.

Cheers for now.   Ken

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2008, 08:43:47 pm »

Looking good Ken, Cant help wondering what you are going to use the potholes for.  :-\
You know, the ones you are waiting for. ;)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2008, 09:21:06 pm »

Hi Dicky.  Thank you for the compliment.

There are quite a few of these 6mm portholes on this model. I have already drilled out the holes in readiness for fitting the ring portholes. I then have to fill them with clear epoxy, to simulate the glass. Clear plastic cannot be fitted as the water pressure (so near the water line) would blow them in.

You can see the row of dots under the square windows where I've drilled out the holes.

Some builders just fill these apertures with clear epoxy, but I fancy a nice ring around them, to stand proud. I might even paint them a brass colour to make them stand out even more. The next big problem is the square windows with cross members with glazing and curtains. Might get SWMBO to help make them.  ;)

Ken

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2008, 09:29:31 pm »

AH 6mm portholes not 6mm potholes then. ;)

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2008, 09:37:23 pm »

Starting to look real good Ken, progressed alot since the last time I saw her........

Mark.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2008, 10:05:11 pm »

;)          A sort of caving boat.        8)       Thanks Dicky.

Thanks Mark. When you coming around?  You need a break from all that building.

Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2008, 05:50:20 pm »

Thank you for all your comments. I do agree with ones about the shaft location. This is indeed a little high, so the bearings were removed and the holes filled in. A new location hole was drilled, along with the matching one the other side. My little pocket Laser came in handy here. These were then fitted with a new set of bearings which were glued in to the new location. (117)

Here you can also see the wood sections that I’ve fitted, to strengthen up the paddle boxes. These are thin 3ply glued on to the existing plastic ones. I then fitted an edging strip from thin timber all the way around the edges to finish it off.

I had acquired 70, 6mm plastic portholes and laid them on a sheet of plastic. I then mixed up some clear epoxy and spoon fed a drop into each hole and left overnight. Two days later, the stuff had not set, so I set about scraping it back out and ruined them, so they are now in the bin. I like you idea about the brass ones, Sandy, so I might pursue this avenue.

While the glue was drying I made a stand assembly for her from thicker 3 ply and glued it all together and left clamped all night. The next day I cut up a mouse mat for the rubber strips and glued these on to the curves to hold the boat without scratching the paintwork.

The paddle boxes were sealed around the edges and sanded down smooth ready for painting.  The hull was also smoothed over and various bumps and gaps were filled and sanded down. (119) (120)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.