Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: What's your favourite aircraft?  (Read 224682 times)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: What's your favorite aircraft?
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2008, 01:10:35 pm »

My favourite is still the Spitfire. We see them quite often down here as this is where their main factory was and where it was designed.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 03:18:12 pm »

As to the Phantom, this aircraft never really came into her own till we used the RR Spey (I think) engines in her.
It could out perform all the yank ones hands down. And didn't we miss them in the Falklands>

Bob
we DID have the Harrier :) who needs phantom when you can go from 500 to zero as the chasing mirage overshoots you whilst trying to get a lock-on. it sails by, and YOU fire off a sidewinder! click boom, adios amigo!

ITHE OTHER AIRCRAFT I HAVE ALWAYS LIKED FROM DAYS GONE BYE IS THE BRISTOL BEAUFIGHTER..... AGAIN A TWIN ENGINED BEATY LIKE THE MOSQUITO.........
with a rather unique sleeve-valve engine! very very quiet!
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 03:35:53 pm »

How about the English Electric Lightning? I saw a display at RAF Coltishall once - awesome.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2008, 03:49:31 pm »

Hi ya there Colin and all

Didnt Jeremy Clarkson not have an English Electric Lightening sitting outside his front door - causing some harassment with his neighbours.....aye the English Electric was the MIG killer - that was what it was specifically designed for, and, to bring down the high-flying bombers.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2008, 03:53:49 pm »

Yes, I think you're right there John - JC did buy himself a Lightning.

Colin

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2008, 03:56:01 pm »

I can see where Mikoyan Gurevich got the design for the Mig 21 from :)

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2008, 04:27:44 pm »

TSR2   - excellent photos Martin - theres another one at the Aerospace Museum at Cosford nr. Wolverhampton. Well worth a visit.

PMK-  the glider. Yes its got flaps, landing without them would be tricky - it comes in very fast without them, dropped to 80degrees they tame it superbly. V tails are no problem - you have to use a computer TX of course - both "ruddervators" go up or down as elevators or side to side as rudders but mixed together by the computer as necessary.

Martin13 I only fly on the slope ( actually sea cliffs about 4 miles from where I live. Some people find it rather daunting to be flying over the sea but we havn't lost many that way  ;)  This model was designed using "Compufoil" for the wing sections (RG15)  The fuselage is a glass/carbon moulded tube plus a grp nose grafted on. The wings are built up with balsa sheet on ribs with a carbon spar and glass covered.  No I haven't got the plans now - they were just sketched out on some wallpaper !! Actually this was the third in a line of developed models.

I just counted the gliders stored in the corner of my workroom - eight - including  a 1/4 scale Olympia 2 and a 1 to 1 scale Sea Eagle ( bird)

Don

nhp651

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2008, 05:40:57 pm »

does anyone know, that if you have enough dosh you can actually have a brand new Spitfire Mk 14 built to order.
A company in the south build to order from the original plans and use detuned RR Merlin engines and other engines to power them....if you google new spitfire for sale , the web site will come up........about 1.75 mill for the offing and for that price you even get taught to flythe thing......... now where's my b*****y lottery ticket??? >>:-(

chingdevil

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2008, 08:44:14 pm »

Phantom F4E saw a couple the first time I went to Mildenhall Airshow
Tornado - any marque I helped test and build the ground hydraulics for that beast saw the first test of them, awsome to watch
Harrier - any marque SWMBO loves the noise
Concorde -  used to fly over where I worked after it had taken off from Heathrow, beautiful to watch
B2 Stealth bomber - again seen at Mildenhall. The one I saw flew from the USA did its show and flew back no landing
Any Huey choppers
Any aircraft fitted with a Merlin engine, I have a video I took of a P51 starting up at North Weald the prop wash blew the camera all over the place, brilliant

I know it is more than one but I could not pick just one.

Brian

OMK

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2008, 10:13:07 pm »

>>My favourite is still the Spitfire. We see them quite often down here as this is where their main factory was and where it was designed.

Blimey, look at the prop' on the prototype photo. This is the first time I've seen a Spit' with a 2-bladed job.
Fascinating.

Thanks, Don. I'm tempted to throw a couple more Qs your way. Can't PM you because my PM thingy is up the spout.

Gents, check the flying guppy on Rob Davis's homepages. Now that is one ugly brute... and gorgeous at the same time.

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2008, 10:47:58 pm »

forget Beluga, its just ugly, for cargo planes of the current era, ya gotta give it to the Russians (now Ukranians),

AN225, the worlds biggest cargo plane, and also the most graceful

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2008, 11:11:16 pm »

Top of my list is the fastest sea level attack bomber ever built. The Blackburn Buccaneer S.2

The precursor to the B2 , the YB49

Vulcan bomber

Hawker Typhoon

and last but definitely not least the Hawker Sea Fury the only Piston engined aircraft to shoot down a jet in air-to-air combat

Davie Tait,
Scotland

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2008, 09:07:56 am »

Tiger Moth! I had dreamed of flying a bright yellow Tiger Moth since I was a child and finally fulfilled my ambition by flying the Duxford aircraft. Fresh from the workshop, still smelling of fresh paint, it was a sheer joy to behold and everything about the experience is firmly rooted in my being. Surely, this machine is the epitome of Englishness and  grass strip aviation!
At the opposite end of the scale, the aforementioned English Electric Lightning stunned me into numbed silence when I saw it put through its paces many years ago at Biggin Hill. Watching that aircraft climb out on full re-heat is not only a visual wonder to behold but also a physical experience as the ground shakes under your feet and your  body is pounded by the shock waves from the afterburners.
Two extremes of aviation and two extremes of enjoyment. O0   

Leaky

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2008, 01:13:07 pm »

The lockheed constellation sheer 1950's elegance it even makes the cover of a Sinatra album! apart from that i think the spitfire probably the mark 2(battle of Britain era) it looks 'right' in every way :)
badly raised and ill mannered.

andyn

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2008, 01:40:05 pm »

Is that a 'Ready 2' I spied there PMK?
Great learning plane.

The Ready 2 is ok, but as its moulded plastic it weighs a LOT, so needs at least an Irvine 53 to run well. It also does not glide or dead-stick very well at all

I would have an Irvine Tutor 40 any day of the week. Have one in the loft I haven't flown for nearly a year. Put a OS 40La in for training, then fit a J'en .47 in for a mad thrash around.

See my thread 'Rc model gliders'

As for real planes, you cannot get much better a fighter than the SU-37, in a training dogfight, the Sukhoi had the Eurofighter for breakfast, then moved on to the Raptor...

As for oldies, I like the old 'stringbag', the Lightning, Spitfire and Minimoa glider.

andyn

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2008, 01:45:53 pm »

Hi ya there Colin and all

Didnt Jeremy Clarkson not have an English Electric Lightening sitting outside his front door - causing some harassment with his neighbours.....aye the English Electric was the MIG killer - that was what it was specifically designed for, and, to bring down the high-flying bombers.

aye
john e
bluebird

He borrowed that Lightning for the day for a show he was doing . It was actually being transported from a museum in the south to one in the north, so he had borrowed it while it was on its way.

The story about the neighbours and the council he made up for his book 'I Know You Got Soul', in where he has a chapter apout the EE Lightning.

catengineman

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2008, 04:47:13 pm »

Harrier Jet Fighter

O0

Awesome

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2008, 10:05:47 pm »

I have a few favorite aircraft;

The Mosquito,
Vulcan,
Buccaneer (had a flight in one  O0),
English electric Lightning

All of them were outstanding in there day

with the Vulcan has anyone read the book "Vulcan 607" a good book worth the reading

chingdevil

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2008, 11:55:58 am »

Hi Gingyer

Yes I have read the book, excellent read. All that planning and inginuity to get one plane over Port Stanley airport to bomb it, unbelievable.
Thestart dat of the Falklands conflict is one I can never forget, my youngest daughter was born on that day, also during the conflict a young lad I knew, Jason Burt lost his life.

Brian

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2008, 12:25:28 pm »

My first posting (in 1964) was a Vulcan Squadron at Waddington. They were one of the better planes I serviced during my less-than-illustrious RAF career, but sadly, like me, now pensioned off.

I drive past Duxford regularly and it's a symptom of old age - every aircraft I worked on in twenty-odd years is on show there!

Rick

bobinnit

« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2008, 12:32:23 pm »

Hi all,

For me it's got to be the C-130 Hercules. Having spent many hours on board various types of this versatile aircraft while serving in the British forces (Army).

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2008, 01:02:57 pm »

Hi all I read Vulcan 607, un-put-downable!  I believe that was just one of the flights, I think it was done 5 times.  One of the Vulcans failed during subsequent flights and had to land in South America (Brazil?).

I did 4 years in the RAF and spent a lot of time servicing the Canberra BI 8's, (Air radar 59 sqdrn.) and I have a soft spot for them.

Mind you the P 51 D Mustang is quite something to look at and the Mustangs did not work properly until they had a Rolls Royce engines fitted.
regards Roy

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2008, 02:33:30 pm »

The little MIG 15 what a beautiful aircraft, I own a model of one which I have
retired it from flying after twenty years, also had a flight in a real one ten years
ago, absolutely spectacular. It is also the most used fighter of any airforce,
still to today there are thousands of them in operation........

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2008, 03:40:29 pm »

today on the history channel  (tv in the uk) there is a program about the history of Biggin Hill and it has shown most of the planes listed already. Its on again at 5pm on +1  worth a look if planes are your thing.

Hs93

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2008, 04:45:28 pm »

Hi all,

For me it's got to be the C-130 Hercules. Having spent many hours on board various types of this versatile aircraft while serving in the British forces (Army).

C-130, another great plane!   O0
Anyone like the airliners? VC10 - 707?

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 21   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 21 queries.