Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ESC help  (Read 2085 times)

Grant

ESC help
« on: August 05, 2006, 02:04:56 pm »

Hi,

It's been 12 years since I last worked on my model boats. I'm currently trying to transfer some running gear and electrics/electronics from a tug that I've scratchbuilt to a 36" Perkasa. Problem is I've forgotten more than I ever knew! :-\

I've got an old Electronize (I think?) ESC which I rewired this morning to try out the motors in the tug before transferring them to the Perkasa but there seems to be a bit of a problem. The controller seems to power the motors in one direction only. even when I put the transmitter into reverse.

I have it wired as follows:
- Red/Black = Feed from battery to ESC
- Blue/White = Feed to motors from ESC
- Small Red/Black/White = reciever to ESC

A red LED lights up when I go into reverse but the motor still spins forward!

Anybody any ideas? ???

Look forward to speaking to you

Thanks

Grant

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
Re: ESC help
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 04:51:18 pm »

Grant,
First thing that comes to mind is did the ESC have a reverse to start with?  The 'only runs in reverse' thingy could be servo reversing or the motors wired backwards.  A 'difinitive' answer?  Not by a long shot! - LOL
 - 'Doc

Grant

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 05:45:41 pm »

Hi Doc,

I've just discovered (through much tappimg with a screwdriver where the 'windings' are) that it's now reversing intermittently with some 'sparking' involved. I guess it's just been that long that the contacts are slightly corroded/seized.

Thanks anyway

Grant ;)

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 12:05:24 am »

Grant,
With older pieces of equipment I've found that rather large hammers tend to work very well.  If tapping with those doesn't free-up stuck contacts, slightly harder tapping usually gives me an excuse to go buy another one.
I would never steer you wrong!  (maybe that's why they won't let me near any guidance systems?)
 - 'Doc
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.