The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Lifeboats

RNLB Helen Wycherley

(1/26) > >>

gribeauval:
Now the drifter is finished I can get back to building boats I love........Lifeboats!
I have now started the second model for the gentleman who bought the RNLI boathouse at Whitehills, Scotland. This is the last boat stationed in Whitehills before it was closed and was a 47ft Watson cabin class named RNLB Helen Wycherley.

Unlike the Self righting lifeboat I have already made for him this one will be a working r/c model.

The keel has been cut and placed on its building board to keep it straight and vertical (I hope!) until all the frames have been added over the next few days and the stringers glued in place to give a rigid structure which will then be double diagonally planked as was the original boat.

gribeauval:
Now have all the frames in place ready to chamfer their edges and fit the stringers that will support the double diagonal planking. I will be using a grp superstructure (made by Models by Design) as the basis for all the detailing as the original was made from aluminium and unlike using wood will require less finishing to give the correct surface.

moller62:
Your work always look impressive, i'm looking forward to follow your build O0

gribeauval:
The most important stringer on the hull , the deck level stringer, has now been fitted to the frames. Get this one wrong and you end up with a lobsided hull and have to start again! :o
I have also fitted fore and aft deck beams sanded to match the sheer of the hull, added a flange (the thickness of the deck) and produced a wooden 'angle iron' that is curved to match the sheer of the boat and makes the frames rigid. This has allowed the top edges of the frames in this area to be removed so that access into the hull can be achieved. Now it's down to fitting the rest of the stringers then it's on with the planking!

gribeauval:
Whilst awaiting delivery of the small tropical rain forest that will be the stringers and the planking for the hull I decided to fit the deck and the coaming for the superstructure to stiffen up the whole thing. This was done with 1/8th lime planks and sheet. When completed and sanded down the grp superstructure is now a nice fit and the frames are now nice and stiff with no tendency to warp.

The last picture shows the rain forest that was collected from my supplier this morning. 8)

It's now on with adding the stringers then the planking. :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version