Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: RNLB Helen Wycherley  (Read 149487 times)

TugCowboy

Re: RNLB Helen Wycherley
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2008, 02:11:46 pm »

Truly stunning, Even though I'm far more into more modern boats, such craftmanship as is being shown by you has kept me riveted to this thread throughout.

Wonderful work.

Alex

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2008, 08:06:08 pm »

Since the last update I have fitted the grab ropes along each side of the hull. These are the fourth set I fitted as I was not satisfied with the 'look' or 'hang' of the other three attempts.

Having regard to "measure twice, cut once" I have "measured several times before plucking up the courage to cut once" and taken the Dremel cutting disc to the grp lump that has been masquerading as the superstructure of the Watsom. All the windows and the doors have been roughed out, the rear wall of the cabin section (which was curved to enable moulding) was completly removed and a new section of the correct shape fitted as well as filling the 'sunken' area on the rear superstructure to give the correct shape. Now the boat is beginning to look as it should and the building of the interior of the cabin can begin.
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

furball

« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2008, 04:12:45 pm »

Quick question... What period are you building the boat for, i.e. what colour are you painting the superstructure?

Cheers

Lance

furball

« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2008, 04:15:53 pm »

By the way - just found these...

Parachinar (Originally 'The Helen Wycherley)"  for sale

http://onwater.llamadigital.co.uk/used_boats.php?bid=116#images

Lance

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2008, 06:42:02 pm »

Quick question... What period are you building the boat for, i.e. what colour are you painting the superstructure?
Cheers
Lance

She will be finished with the light grey superstructure as she was during her sevice at Whitehills 1961-69.

By the way - just found these...
Parachinar (Originally 'The Helen Wycherley)"  for sale
http://onwater.llamadigital.co.uk/used_boats.php?bid=116#images
Lance

I have these pictures already Lance, thanks anyway.  ;)

Mike
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

furball

« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2008, 09:10:49 pm »

Cheers

Lance

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2008, 09:04:05 pm »

I have made a start on fitting out the superstructure. The front and rear bulkheads have beeen cut and fitted in place. The wheel was made by taking a 2" model cart wheeel, removing every other spoke to leave the six needed, sanding the rim to size ( held in a spinning drill chuck), painted and whipped then fitted onto its turned stand. The throttles were also made and mounted on their stand. The grid that the helmsman stands on was also made and glued to the floor section followed by the addition of the controls. The last two pictures show the floor temporarily held in place. This will be glued in place at a later stage when the fittings on the front and rear bulkheads have been made and fitted to allow better access than trying to work through the door openings.  ::)
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2008, 08:45:13 pm »

I have now modified a 6" figure to use as the cox'n on the Helen. He is dressed in the early 1960's oilskins and lifejacket as seen in the picture on the front of the brochure for the 1961 official naming ceremony.

More holes have now been cut in the moulding. These have been opened out to size with tapered reamers to take the differing portholes/deadlights.
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2008, 09:22:11 pm »

Take a pair of solid brass curtain tie-back hooks plus a file plus a little time and you have the rear deck cleats for the strop that is used to haul the boat back up the slipway into the boathouse.
The doors for the wheelhouse have been made and fitted on their sliding tracks. The windows will be next on the agenda.
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2008, 03:12:04 pm »

I have spent the last few days covered in white styrene dust and broken/rejected bits of clear styrene but the result has been the window frames for the superstructure and the glazing itself to be fitted after painting. The handrail at the rear has also been fabricated and fitted in place. More smaller fittings to make and then the folding exhaust mast at the front.

True Lifeboat Nutter!!

ronkh

« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2008, 06:56:54 pm »

gribeauval,

Have only just found this thread and I must say that it has got me hooked. The work you have produced is stunning to say the least.
I will make sure I carry on and follow it to the end.
Looking at your work has helped me to relax after a cr#ppy day. Thankyou.

Ron.

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2008, 07:48:14 pm »

Glad your enjoying the build Ron.  ;)

I have now to replace the two outer windows in the front of the wheelhouse as I notice that I have rounded off the corners of the frames and on those two windows they should have sharp corners!!!  :'(
Two steps forward and three back!!!!!

Mike
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2008, 04:43:30 pm »

More of the details done. First the window frames have been painted and the bolthead details added. The front glazing has been fitted along with the rotary screen wipers giving the Watson its distinctive early look. The small access hatch on the casing front has been fitted along with the large air intake also the bulwark at the rear of the casing has been fitted. Lastly the engine room hatch for the forward bulkhead inside the wheelhouse has been made ready to fit when the interior painting has been completed.

True Lifeboat Nutter!!

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: October 25, 2008, 07:38:02 pm »

The main hatch that gives access to the forward survivors cabin has now been built, the hatch hinged and is ready for fitting onto the fore deck. I have also made the tabernacle for the exhaust mast that fits on the front of the casing, The mast itself is also under construction and the section that it joins onto is ready for fitting on the casing front. When these are in position the rest of the details, support bars, wiring etc, will be fitted.
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

ronkh

« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2008, 07:20:56 pm »

Still watching with great interest :-))

Ron.

craftysod

« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2008, 01:11:33 am »

I agree Ron, this guy is a craftsman and attention to detail is superb,and gives people another way of looking at things(you can get a curtain hook to make this)
will keep watching this thread
WD Mike
Mark

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2008, 07:34:49 pm »

I have now fitted the forward hatch onto the deck and the almost finished mast is temporarily in place whilst I sort out the locking devices etc. So I thought it was about time for a look at the boat as a whole and not just in detailed close-up, a sort of look at the tree not just see the leaf for a change!

True Lifeboat Nutter!!

kno3

« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2008, 11:48:49 pm »

Just discovered this topic. The boat looks fantastic, congratulations!

I havea question too: what was the purpose of the channels in the hull, where the propellers are?

nhp651

« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2008, 12:21:11 am »

protective tunnels to keep the propellors from being damaged if the lifeboat shoaled in shallow waters when on a rescue attempt. :-))

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2008, 03:57:50 pm »

Saved me an expalination Neil!!  ;)

The dials and hatches are now in the wheelhouse and in the next day or so the Cox'n and floor will be fitted along with the rest of the glazing.
The masts are now hinged,guards fitted and the radio aerials strung between them. These are thin, round elastic to maintain tension, as are the shrouds holding the masts upright. The rest of the vents on the front casing have been fitted, along with the two life rings on each side and the access steps onto the rear casing. The navigation lights have also been fitted and now require wiring to their power supply in the front casing. Next will be the capstan alongside the mast and the rope bins either side of the front casing.
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Roger in France

« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2008, 04:07:13 pm »

Looking very, very good Mike.

For your interest and the information of others, the round section, black elastic you have used is known as "sheering elastic". It is used in dressmaking for ruching fabrics. It also comes in white. It is excellent for the job you have identified and for other lines which need to be slightly tensioned to appear taut. Because it is elastic it will give a little and return to its original length if snagged or knocked.

Roger in France.

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2008, 04:28:54 pm »

Looking very, very good Mike.

For your interest and the information of others, the round section, black elastic you have used is known as "sheering elastic". It is used in dressmaking for ruching fabrics. It also comes in white. It is excellent for the job you have identified and for other lines which need to be slightly tensioned to appear taut. Because it is elastic it will give a little and return to its original length if snagged or knocked.

Roger in France.

Thanks Roger. It also comes in four different diameters, and I buy it by the reel !! I use it for most of my railings to prevent damage . If you use heat shrink tube and fishing swivels to join it to the stanchions it looks just like the swaged joints that are used on modern lifeboats.

Mike
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

nhp651

« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2008, 05:28:47 pm »

hey, mike, wot you upto beating me to the post with those plans for the 41 footer on ebay. I was watching them all week and then fell asleep about an hour befor the auction ended and missed the b****y things. ceste la vie.
Are they nice? <:( <:(

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: October 31, 2008, 07:23:59 pm »

hey, mike, wot you upto beating me to the post with those plans for the 41 footer on ebay. I was watching them all week and then fell asleep about an hour befor the auction ended and missed the b****y things. ceste la vie.
Are they nice? <:( <:(

I was watching them from day one and I decided I was having them at any price!! I will e-mail you about them when I get them!  8) 8) 8)

Mike
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

nhp651

« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2008, 10:19:23 pm »

cheers, mike. :-))
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.