Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > DC Motors (Brushed) and Speed Controllers

Electric Motor Classification

(1/10) > >>

BreezyB:
Being quite new to electrics , can someone please explain what motor type numbers mean ( i.e 380, 450, 600 etc etc).
Many thanks,  O0
Barrie.

Ghost in the shell:
measure the length of the motor, I was talking to the guy at Mobile marine, he mentioned that MFA call the 380 motor the 380 because its length is 3.8cm long. 

a 5 at the end of the designation, (545), (385) etc also indicates a 5 pole motor

andrewh:
BreezyB

The simplest question, but not very a simple answer.  Even the brief answer involves history, inflation and hijacking!

Originally they were Mabuchi designations, and I understand, but could be wrong, that they represented the armature stack length in mm.  The older ones (380, 540, 550) had that meaning.

At some point the 0 on the end came to mean 3 -pole (relatively high speed) and a 5 got tacked on the end to represent 5 pole (relatively high torque, lower speed), so 545 and 385 are 5-pole variants (very boat-friendly)

Have a look on the Mabuchi website - a good deal of history is still in there, I think.  designations like 120, 130, 180 still exist under the old meaning.

None of this, you will notice, tells you ANYTHING about the windings inside and hence the speed, current and voltage range.
It is worth bearing in mind that all the motors can be wound from 1.5 Volt windings (2 turns of coat-hanger wire) to 36 or 48 Volt winding - millions of turns of maidenhair wire.

After Mabuchi comes the hijackings and rampant inflation, and the first attempts to describe the windings

To be continued (if it of any interest)
andrew

Colin Bishop:
I think a lot of people might find it interesting Andrew. There have been many posts about specific motors and their suitability but not a general overview of the subject - well, not recently anyway!

Colin

Martin (Admin):
"To be continued (if it of any interest)"

Yes please!

Martin  O0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version