Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Springer tug motor suggestions please  (Read 4477 times)

tuggerman

Springer tug motor suggestions please
« on: July 29, 2008, 08:53:47 pm »

Hi all, can you reccommend a motor and battery set up for a Springer tug I have started the hull is 15" long by 7" beam constructed from styrene plastic sheet. It will take 2.5 kgs to take it down to waterline, I think perhaps a geared motor?

chingdevil

Re: Springer tug motor suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 09:11:15 pm »

Hi Tuggerman

In the Springers I have built I put in 545 motors brought from ACtion, I also have a direct drive to a 38mm prop. I get plenty of power out of that set up.
Standard Springers should be 18" x 8" or what ever that is in new money, I would not get into a football match with a Springer made from styrene sheet, most Springers weigh in at about 5kg constructed from 8 - 10 mm ply on the sides and top with a 1mm hull covering.

Have a look through the other threads on this subject, there is plenty of very good information available.

Brian

tuggerman

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 09:23:37 pm »

Thanks Brian, no its not for combat although it is 4mm styrene, I want to use it for pushing and maybe towing, as for size I scaled it down from the original 18" x 8" to its present size, and plan to make a few different superstructures for it.
regards
John

chingdevil

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 10:26:00 pm »

Hi John

If you go down the 545 motor route make sure you water cool it, I fried a couple of those plus a 385. Because of the shape they do tend to go nose down under full throttle and try and push the whole lake. Try and site the batteries slightly towards the rear, I use two 6v 4ah wired in parallel, handy ballast plus a good running time.

Keep us informed how you get on

Brian

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 10:28:58 pm »

It`ll be a Mini-Springer then ::) but I think it might still be a bit fragile.  A geared 400 motor might do. Dont forget they do not like to go fast. Keep us informed, you might have started a cult ::)
..well can you land on this?

tuggerman

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 09:21:18 am »

thanks for your help chaps, please have a look at the link below and let me know what you think about this motor and gearbox please
John
http://www.pandanmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/Planetary_Motor_Gearboxes.html

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 11:56:26 am »

Gear box fine.....motor TOO massive (unless I missed small ones there). Nip into Maplins and have a look at their MFA range , a 540 is about £6.00 with mount  and will power a full-size Springer with zest on direct drive , 6volts.   Water cooling coils on Ebay for about £3.
..well can you land on this?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.