Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Northumbrian"  (Read 113311 times)

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
Re: "Northumbrian"
« Reply #200 on: April 20, 2010, 10:20:20 am »

Do RelRobs's work that far north?!

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #201 on: April 20, 2010, 02:28:12 pm »

The Northumbrian is a pearl. She carries the spirit of the original, linking hearts and hands over the waters. The authenticity of the build is hallmarked in the thread ............ a distillation of impeccable research and a life'sworth of experience 'jelled'  in the reconstruction........ you cannot give more. In my book, you've won the ultimate  competition......... the only one that really matters........... the one you set for yourself.  :-))

Deep down I hope Florry found her man and that her 'special'  boat came in.

Forgive me for tacking on our song. (One for lyrics and the second for the true melody as I remember it.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz2U6HcG318&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAQxxJPrWns&feature=related

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #202 on: April 20, 2010, 02:56:17 pm »

Do RelRobs's work that far north?!

Greg

If you pedal fast enough - Yes.  %)

Barry M

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #203 on: April 20, 2010, 04:17:30 pm »

Barry M

'Specially up Borough Bank !
Mike

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #204 on: April 20, 2010, 07:09:14 pm »

The Northumbrian is a pearl. She carries the spirit of the original, linking hearts and hands over the waters. The authenticity of the build is hallmarked in the thread ............ a distillation of impeccable research and a life'sworth of experience 'jelled'  in the reconstruction........ you cannot give more. In my book, you've won the ultimate  competition......... the only one that really matters........... the one you set for yourself.  :-))

Deep down I hope Florry found her man and that her 'special'  boat came in.

Forgive me for tacking on our song. (One for lyrics and the second for the true melody as I remember it.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz2U6HcG318&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAQxxJPrWns&feature=related

All very poetic....you'll be writing me love odes next. But it's the thought that counts (or so I've heard).
But in all honesty (I was going to say "humility", but that's not in my nature), I've been (reasonably) amazed at the reaction of members of this forum who have nver even heard of these old wrecks, never mind actually seein them or travelling on one. But I really regret never actually taking much notice of the "thing" as a (sort of) ship. I couldn't have built it without access to the photos Bill (Cap'n) Thomson of TMBC took while he was building his tin-plate model of her back in the 70s.
I don't normally have the speakers on but if "Fog on the Tyne" is one of your toons I will (if I eventually meet you) either give you a cuddle or a Glaswegian kiss.....yet to be decided. Thanks anyway. Bryan.

Notes from a simple seaman

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #205 on: April 20, 2010, 07:17:16 pm »

'Specially up Borough Bank !
Mike
Mike, up to you whether you believe it or not ( as I'm now "tainted" by some Foo person), but when I was in "Mercury" and doing a refit in Ming-Ming, Anne had to drive home with our then 7 month old son in the middle of winter....got to the S.Sh/N.Sh ferry but things being a bit icy couldn't get up Borough Bank in the Hillman Imp we had then. A bus towed her up. Would that happen now? I doubt it.
Let me know if the refit story rings any bells. Bryan.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #206 on: April 20, 2010, 07:59:16 pm »

Barry M
Barry, quoting from "Perkasaman", he expressed a hope that dear Flora "found her man". Considering that she was the design model for the Tyne Tunnel I think he is being a little naive. I really shudder when I now and again think of my parenthood. Perhaps I could be a new Icon for the UN? Diversity, integration and "multi-culturalism" and so on. Now I'm reaching my allotted "Seven Score and Ten", maybe being cast in bronze (not while living) could serve as a warning (or inspiration) to other idiots who wish to look at miles and miles of water, and observe some of the wonders of nature. Bryan.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #207 on: April 20, 2010, 08:35:06 pm »

Mike, up to you whether you believe it or not ( as I'm now "tainted" by some Foo person), but when I was in "Mercury" and doing a refit in Ming-Ming, Anne had to drive home with our then 7 month old son in the middle of winter....got to the S.Sh/N.Sh ferry but things being a bit icy couldn't get up Borough Bank in the Hillman Imp we had then. A bus towed her up. Would that happen now? I doubt it.
Let me know if the refit story rings any bells. Bryan.

Bryan I would still hope it to be in the nature of the average Geordie bus driver to want to offer the same help now (  %) ). As to whether he/she would be so constrained by all the rules and regs as to make it impossible is something else.
I'm sorry there are no ringing of bells about the refit in Ming-Ming, I'm not with you ? If I remember correctly the Mercury was Cable & Wireless and I was never with them.
Regarding the oriental gentleman, I too was puzzled, nay gobsmacked at the apparent implications. Best ignore it, his subsequent silence speaks volumes anyway !

Mike

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #208 on: April 20, 2010, 10:55:40 pm »

Bryan I would still hope it to be in the nature of the average Geordie bus driver to want to offer the same help now (  %) ). As to whether he/she would be so constrained by all the rules and regs as to make it impossible is something else.
I'm sorry there are no ringing of bells about the refit in Ming-Ming, I'm not with you ? If I remember correctly the Mercury was Cable & Wireless and I was never with them.
Regarding the oriental gentleman, I too was puzzled, nay gobsmacked at the apparent implications. Best ignore it, his subsequent silence speaks volumes anyway !

Mike

Mike, I'm ashamed for you! The reference was to a C&W refit in 1966/7 in Immingham. I refuse to be drawn on my reactions to Immingham and Grimsby circa 1966....except to say that at least one of them was well named. Bryan.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #209 on: April 20, 2010, 10:56:31 pm »

Quote Perhaps I could be a new Icon for the UN? Diversity, integration and "multi-culturalism" and so on. Now I'm reaching my allotted "Seven Score and Ten", maybe being cast in bronze (not while living) could serve as a warning (or inspiration) to other idiots who wish to look at miles and miles of water, and observe some of the wonders of nature. Bryan. Unquote

Bryan,
Perhaps you could have your collected thoughts bound in a little Red Book (all same Chairman Mao), start a fashion for uniform thermal underwear, start swimming the Tyne on your birthday and promote a much overdue Cultural Revolution in Geordieland?  Posteriority would remember you! (Possibly for lunacy and hypothermia and confiming many peoples views of Geordies but you would be remembered....)  %%

Barry M

PS I'm not convinced that Flora has departed by the way; anyday now news of a Second Coming might account for a certain shaking of the ground. . ..

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #210 on: April 21, 2010, 09:31:00 am »

Mike, I'm ashamed for you! The reference was to a C&W refit in 1966/7 in Immingham. I refuse to be drawn on my reactions to Immingham and Grimsby circa 1966....except to say that at least one of them was well named. Bryan.

Thanks for that Bryan ! I have just been searching back in the 'Strange but True' thread in an attempt to enlighten my still baffled brain re refitting in Immingham and discovered that for some reason I had missed your early tales from March 2008 when you started the thread to July of the same year when I chipped in concerning the 'Tidreach' Now an hour later (and still not caught up !) I have to abandon absorbing reading in order to get showered and dressed !
Still non the wiser about whatever I am ashamed about, but grateful for being directed back to missed reading ! Many of the other places you mention (besides Ming-Ming that is !) evoke memories of similar visits. I spent six weeks on a tramp ship at Montevideo anchorage discharging coal, where you ran her into the mud at the start and she floated off as she discharged (At least that was what I was told, as a lowly apprentice who only scrubbed the place, matters navigational on the bridge were not for the likes of me !) The bits of Graf Spey were still visible then also, but it was your mention of the smelly mud that triggered the memory. The old brain is still dragging bits as I write, just remembered making friends with a beautiful girl there who's father was a cook on the Graf Spey and had settled in Montevideo, she took us back to meet him and it resulted in an invite to an opera performance ! They wanted to show off their new British Officer friends and asked us to wear uniform. You can imagine that a Cardiff tramp wasn't really into dressing up in such finery and it resulted in a tarpaulin muster back on board to get three of us in something close to M.N uniforms, fortunately they seemed to be happy enough with the result ! A  close inspection would have showed many brushed out mould patches from damp wardrobes ! Remember the light bulbs wired in to the bottom to stop everything turning green !
Enough ! off for a shower !

Mike

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #211 on: October 27, 2010, 07:28:04 am »

Bryan's Northumbrian promoted to a Masterclass by popular request!  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

cloggie

« Reply #212 on: March 19, 2011, 07:51:02 pm »

"Shipwrecked"....nice comments, thank you.
I'll tell you a little story about the show....if your'e interested.
The 2009 show (the first) didn't supply as many tables to TMBC as had been promised, and so all our boats / ships were crammed up sisde by side with really only the bows of the models visible. Not very pleasing to either the entrants or the visiting spectators. On the "assumption" that the same thing would happen again this year many of us at TMBC reduced their entries to allow more space. For myself, I was only going to enter "Northumbrian" as opposed to the 4 or 5 models I generally send to shows. Other club members did the same. So on the friday before the show opened when we took the models it was more than a bit of an eye-opener to discover that we had been allocated a huge stand..so really we could have shown more models without them being crammed up.
In "normal" circumstances the club hires a big van to transport the entered models. For reasons that I won't go into, the van didn't materialise so club members had to transport their own boats in their own cars. This obviously put a bit of a limit as to what could be transported. As I said, I had only entered "Northumbrian", but as "Baroda" was already in the trailer where it lives I dragged that along as well. When I got to the venue I thought how sparse the stand looked...and so Brian (brian_c) sort of coerced me into putting "Baroda" on to the stand. Then (!) he said he was going to enter it into the "competition"...nothing to do with me 'guv. So now the same ship has got 2 "best in show" awards that were totally unexpected. I'm quite sure that if some of our other "ship-builders" had known that our stand was to be so large, there would have been more models shown that are equally as good as "Baroda".
When I went back to collect my boats at the end of the show I was approached by a fellow modeller who was quite adamant that the "Northumbrian" should have all the vehicles and passengers removed as they were not part of "the model". I disagreed. After all, it is a model of a river ferry, and its stock in trade was to transport people and vehicles from one side of the Tyne to the other...so as far as I'm concerned they all remain where they are. Anyway, I don't build models to go "cup-hunting", I just do it to please myself.
The "Northumbrian" very nearly didn't make it to the stand at all. About half a mile from the venue the trailer dropped into a huge pothole...in the rear view car mirror I saw the model lift violently out of its cradle and my heart sank. With good reason. Without going into details a lot of work was needed with the aid of some superglue kindly loaned by a member of another club. (Green jersey, you know who you are, thanks, you were a life-saver!). BY.

Thats fascinating to know Bryan, Apologies for such a long time in replying, but trouble logging on under original name, and as its coming to that time of year for a new show at Temple Park I feel I am able to reply without pregidous now.

Having been coerced into being a judge at the 2010 show (out of the blue), Northumbrian came to my attention, having been a shipbuilder on the Tyne myself and being of local interest she was always going to be of interest.

Looking over all the models on display, she was a fine example of superbly researched model few would attempt.  A credit to her builder without doubt.

Studying her, I can recall the other judges pondering whether she should be best of show,.  I looked below her lines from an unusual angle, simply looking for that one extra feature. Would this modeller add detail to her where no-one would ever look I thought? propelling her to that extra level?.

This was what was going to win her first prize, as opposed to second.  I remember being rebuked by a club member "Why are you looking down there? " I was asked sharply.

I was looking for that extra step which propelled her from brilliant to extra ordinary.  I witnessed a repair. Nevertheless, this just showed to me she'd had an accident or had been injured on a pond, a working model rather than a pristine static, which to me gave her added Kredos.

Barado was there as well, she was vying for first place alongside Northumbrian, along with one other model. 

Now,  can I just say, I don't look at names of modellers -I find it can sway opinions -rather to look at a model and decide on it's features and quality in my view;  Other judges came to the same conclusion as I did, in finding fault with only one aspect of the model.... Namely that one figure out of all the figures on board her, which added life to the model, seemed to be slightly out of scale on the model and hence she dropped 1/2 a point.  Leaving the choice to be between the superb Baroda and the other.  After some discussion, it ended as a unaminous decision that Baroda win with Northumbrian in second place with me adament that Baroda was the worthy winner.

Now don't get me wrong, I am just clarifying the position at the time, as a historical note from my privilaged view point at the time, and hope to see her again this year along with more of your superb builds.

In deep admiration of your building skills,

Regards Bry

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #213 on: March 29, 2011, 07:29:08 pm »

"Cloggie".....it was only very recently that your post was brought to my attention. I know what you were looking for. The bracing struts between the hull and the overhanging vehicle deck. I did actually debate with myself whether to put them in or not (I've got the drawings for them) but decided against on the grounds of fragility. Although the models bulwarks are much stronger than they look, I always go for the invisible "belt and braces" solution.
I totally agree with you about the guy with the battered old Beetle....but that was just a bit of fun on my part. Winning or losing doesn't make much difference to me, but I was pleased with the general reaction of "viewers" who almost without exception said the model brought back many memories. Mainly from those who live on the North side, and were going home! BY.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #214 on: March 30, 2011, 07:51:24 am »

And that special rice pudding  %) :-))

Mike

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #215 on: March 30, 2011, 09:56:51 am »

Did he get his just desserts?  %)

Barry M

nhp651

« Reply #216 on: April 01, 2011, 03:49:15 pm »

hi Bryan.............just a little snippet of interest to you.
on todays' ( friday 1st april) BBC 2 "Flog it" prog ( you can pick it up on iplayer.)a chap brought in 2 brass fire hydrant nozzles and a builders /engineers plack for one of her engines from Northumbrian, along with a picture of her...made good money too.
neil.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #217 on: April 01, 2011, 07:26:59 pm »

Neil. thanks for that. The person who sold it couldn't have had the bits very long as they also featured on the same programme a couple of years ago....unless you were watching a repeat, which wouldn't surprise me! I tried (first time around) to get a screen shot from the telly but it was "unusable". Expletive deleted.....
Not so much interested in the hose nozzles but I'd love a decent photo of the builders plaque. That's just about all that's missing from the model. Cheers. Bryan.

nhp651

« Reply #218 on: April 01, 2011, 07:50:14 pm »

they have been running best of's on the prog so may well have been a repeat.
the chap metioned that he used to live south side and go over in the car to meet his girl friend who lived north side.....an oldish gent, smartly dressed.
neil.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #219 on: April 02, 2011, 09:22:23 am »

Sounds like Bryan - apart from the "smartly" bit  ;D

Barry M

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #220 on: April 02, 2011, 04:58:55 pm »

Barry, I knew I should have accepted the offer of the Ermine, knee breeches and silver buckled shoes....if only to get up your nose.
But perhaps the "Young" peerage is hereditary and then I'll ensure that a second land clearage act is enacted in your area.
So, alas, until then I will remain a plain and ordinary "Mister" (to you, anyway). BY.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.