Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 31   Go Down

Author Topic: Who's building what at the moment?  (Read 321372 times)

tony52

Re: Who's building what at the moment?
« Reply #200 on: September 17, 2010, 09:29:06 am »

Not so much 'building at the moment' as resoration work to a Graupner Glasgow paddle tug, fitted with Wilesco D48. Neither model or boiler have run for approx 15 years. Hoping to have her back on the water for spring 2011.

stevebmw1

« Reply #201 on: September 17, 2010, 10:26:19 am »

Hi. I am new to the forum and new to model boats. I have decided to jump in the deep end and build the tug " Cruiser" with a steam plant for propulsion. The tug I bought off eBay for £220 and was  new in the box but missing the built manual. A phone call to Mountfleet and one was sent for £12.00. The information I get from this forum is great and has encouraged me to complete this tug.

The Antipodean

« Reply #202 on: September 17, 2010, 01:28:26 pm »

I have 2 Thames River tugs on the boards, one almost completed except for a few items of deck clutter, an Auckland Harbour Towboat from 1920 which is in the still fine shaping the stations stage and my grandsons boat which has the spare hull I built and as yet undecided on the superstructure.
The wife is asking me to build some sort of woodie as she is getting tired of seeing me paint planking and brasswork.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #203 on: September 17, 2010, 02:39:53 pm »

Lots in the build process at the moment

Deagostini Victory

Yep built one cannon

Billings Phantom

Need to open out the hole for the prop tube and resin hull.  Soon as I get a few nice days ill go out and resin the inside of the hull

Billings Will Everard

Needs next coat of paint on the hull

And the deck needs final sanding and painting

Midwest Dinghy

Awaiting final finishing and varnish

Also have a KeilKraft Cresta Im rescaling to approx 1:10 scale with aquacraft outboard

oh and theres my billings mayflower, awaiting the frames being shaped

Non Boats
Tamiya King Hauler is currently in paint
A 100x60cm N guage automated micro layout.  German steam in winter.... base boards an track laid
I also have the corvette rear end dismantled

And for the kids
Converting old bunk beds into a princess castle  :embarrassed: .... dont ask!
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #204 on: September 17, 2010, 04:27:22 pm »

Lots of chatter on the forum but is ANYBODY actually building any model boats at the moment?!?!?!?  {:-{

"Boats".... oh, so that's where I'm going wrong!...  :embarrassed:

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #205 on: September 17, 2010, 06:35:15 pm »

Planking is now going full speed on the Racundra. One half's all-but done, and the other half is 2/3rds of the way there. Should have photos up by the end of next week. If the weather stays clear for the major bow/stern block carving.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #206 on: September 17, 2010, 08:34:58 pm »

restoring
sanganista 30% complete
aeronaut bismarck 20% complete
pbm tyne tug  90% complete
Paladin 60% complete
dumas akula 1% complete CAnnot get motivated at moment!!!

new build
1/24 e boat s80
2 flower class corvette 1/72
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

keef666

« Reply #207 on: September 17, 2010, 09:54:33 pm »

Last year i started building the new HMS.Daring, and after a few months gave up as it needed some changes doing in the build, as i did it so could get inside more easier,and thats when i hit the problems, friends told me to get cracking and start building to get it done and in the water, so for a few weeks made some drawings as how to make the changes i need, the superstructure is scratch build in liteply,[ this is what needs changing ] and motors for the two radars, hull is converted, she in 1/96th scale, and around five foot, now i find out that PS SHIPS/Sirmar might be closed, no web page up and running, and as i need some more fittings from Paul to finish the boat off, i am a little down after spending over three hundred quid so far, so i am thinking i might just take a sledgehammer to the thing and smash it to bits.

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #208 on: September 17, 2010, 10:14:17 pm »

I have two builds on the go at the moment, the anchor supply vessel the Maersk Leader, and a T-Class anchor handling tug the Atlas 2.

rockets

« Reply #209 on: September 17, 2010, 10:40:02 pm »

Still working on the Margoletta but as I've just moved the length of the country it's been neglected. I also have the plans for Vic Smeed's Vivacity which is next, I intend to get a set of parts laser cut for that and I want to refurbish my little Graupner Carina for my sons to use.

Rocket man.

joppyuk

« Reply #210 on: September 18, 2010, 07:43:47 am »

Having just come back after 30 years railway modelling, I.ve just put down the first planks for a Veron Police Launch, to get my hand in. Then I,ve been going through the plans in my loft and find far more models than I,ll ever have time for. Looks like the next will be a simplified HMS Invincible (ww1) from MAP plans, followed by a pre-dreadnought. also a couple of yachts needing serious renovation, plus a 1/72 Flower from a wooden kit purchased in the early 70;s. So I,d better stop reading and get modelling.

long bill

« Reply #211 on: September 18, 2010, 03:56:02 pm »

How is it going with the Graupner Glasgow paddle tug restoration?

I really wanted to build this model.

Even bought it, but the dealer couldn't get the motor or fittings set from Graupner so I sent the kit back and got the Model Slipways Our Lass II as a replacement.

I would really like to have a steam powered paddle wheeler, but I haven't found any kits except the Graupner.

Later,

Bill M

:-)

tony52

« Reply #212 on: September 18, 2010, 07:45:34 pm »

Hi Bill,

I think the Glasgow is the only steam powered paddler commercially available. Obviously a different paddler could be scratch built. With paddlers stability is always a problem but the Graupner model is quite stable.
The model came my way in need of restoration/tlc. To date I have constructed a shelf in the shed for the model to live on, removed all the damaged rigging (the previous owners cat destroyed this) and ordered replacement dummy turnbuckles. The new ones are brass as against the kit supplied plastic. I have also started to clean up and varnish the decks, re-mark the planking lines where faded. The mast had become bent like a banana, so the wife's steam cleaner was used to steam it back straight.
I have also been in touch with the local boiler tester, for a safety test. I know the boiler is under the 3 bar litre rule, however as I do not have the original manufacturers certificate and the boiler hasn't steamed for over 15 years, I feel a safety test would be a wise precaution.
If you do think about a steam powered one, I understand a better steam unit is available than the Wilesco. Should this be requirement I have read a post somewhere as to what unit this is, and the favoured option would be to start a new post under the steam section of this forum. I have stuck with the Wilesco as that was what it came with.

Thank you for the interest and good luck with the model building.
Tony.

billw

« Reply #213 on: September 18, 2010, 10:23:33 pm »

Hi all,
Currently building a Deans Maersk Anglia. Very much a long term project  {:-{ But it will get finished one day.
I like the look of Chipchase's Maersk Leader. Is the hull available commercially?
Bill

ayrshire andy

« Reply #214 on: September 18, 2010, 10:54:21 pm »

Hi folks,

After a mammoth bout of calculation and about twenty pounds worth of graph paper...am preparing to build the pattern for an eight foot long futuristic looking trimaran, imagine Earthrace meets SR-61 Blackbird...to be vacformed in nice smooth black ABS..next stop B&Q for the ply and then living in the workshop until November! %%
Any other builders of freelance designs out there...show us your inspirational stuff!

'Til next time,

Ayrshire Andy

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #215 on: September 18, 2010, 11:00:07 pm »

"Boats".... oh, so that's where I'm going wrong!...  :embarrassed:

Hold the bus! A Simpleton!

Used to fly one of these years ago with a cox babe 025 mounted above the wing. Nice slow soarer. Managed to get a flight of about 25 minutes one sunny day when I caught my only thermal. She was away with a couple of birds and must have got up over 200 feet.

Wasnt it a Dave Bowman's kit? Brings back memories!

airwolf572010

« Reply #216 on: September 19, 2010, 09:32:44 am »

Hello Martin and others in the Forum I hope I am in the correct place.. I am not actually building well I suppose I am .. I managed to acquire 2 very old yachts from the 1940 era
and as they havent arrived as yet waiting?? I hope to restore these 2 beautiful wooden boats to the sailing condition./. They are both in need of repair however the bigger of the 2 a 1080mm Yacht looks in great condition on the Hull side and the other is painted over.. The fellow I bought them from believes underneath the pain is a Cedar finish on the smaller boat so will wait and see what happens when I start the restore.. My apologies if I have inserted this into the wrong section..
Cheers
Airwolf

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #217 on: September 20, 2010, 06:06:43 pm »

Apart from enjoying some rare sunshine, the rebuild/refurbishment of "Norseman" has been slowly progressing. "Slowly" being the pertinent adjective.
So far I've more or less completed the back end and the boat deck area. They were the easier parts. But renewing the foremast rigging and so on is more difficult.
Notes from a simple seaman

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #218 on: September 20, 2010, 07:51:02 pm »

Last year i started building the new HMS.Daring, and after a few months gave up as it needed some changes doing in the build, as i did it so could get inside more easier,and thats when i hit the problems, friends told me to get cracking and start building to get it done and in the water, so for a few weeks made some drawings as how to make the changes i need, the superstructure is scratch build in liteply,[ this is what needs changing ] and motors for the two radars, hull is converted, she in 1/96th scale, and around five foot, now i find out that PS SHIPS/Sirmar might be closed, no web page up and running, and as i need some more fittings from Paul to finish the boat off, i am a little down after spending over three hundred quid so far, so i am thinking i might just take a sledgehammer to the thing and smash it to bits.

put it up for sale on here mate, or someone might have the parts on here...its worth a try!!! if all else fails i will give it a home in my untidy workshop!!!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

bbjs

« Reply #219 on: September 21, 2010, 09:46:19 am »

Highest on the 'to do list' (recent acquisitions):

-Some minor repair & repaint on SS Bohuslän, also considering a small steam installation:

-A complete rebuild/refurb. of the superstructure, adding some new steam fittings, a gas regulator and new feathering wheels to my paddler:

-Start the build of my latest local 'flea market findings', Christiaan Brunings from Dean's:

-Start the build of my looong time awaiting project SS Mariefred (not my model in the pic, but same kit):

-Start with the rebuild of my 'special' compound:

Hmmm... then it's all the other stuff & old kits in the attic... I obviously have more projects & money than time...
 %) :o :o
Cheers, Bjorn

jonny shoreboy

« Reply #220 on: September 21, 2010, 07:16:58 pm »

I'm not building much, just boxing it all up ready for the big move down under. I have found a bit of time to work on my plank on frame English Frigate...

Jonny.

towrope

« Reply #221 on: September 21, 2010, 09:01:15 pm »

Hi Billw if Iam not mistaken chipchase purchased the mearsk leader hull from TYNE MODELS sold as a hull +drawings + C D with a couple of hundred photos will check with chipchase next time i see him all the best Towrope.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #222 on: September 22, 2010, 01:42:31 pm »

The main part of my new build arrived from Oz this morning curtesy of "Martin du" who sent it and "sjbatche" who made it. Thanks Steve the hull is excellent. :-))

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #223 on: September 22, 2010, 05:16:45 pm »

Now I've finally completed my large motor yacht (build log in the power boats forum) and finished refitting my "Dickie" Seaport tug conversion with a proper radio setup, I'm now concentrating on adding the finishing touches to my sailing schooner (mostly deck fittings and non-functional scale rigging). I'll post some photos of the finished model when it's done! It's based on an old HMS Bounty wood kit hull and is modelled on the 1830s coastal merchant "Enterprize". R/C is a very basic two-channel setup with a single sail arm controlling the main, mizzen and jib sheets.

I've also resurrected a couple of old scratchbuild projects that had been gathering dust for the last couple of years. The first is a 1/48 WW2 US Navy 110-foot subchaser (SC) - started in 2008, with a cheap RTR radio, it now has a proper radio, rudder steering and a more accurately shaped stern. The second is the Danish coast defence ship "Peder Skram" built in 1908. I started this several years ago as a waterline static model - scaled up to 1/96 from the Paper Shipwright card model - but had not done any more work on it for over a year until last month, when I built a complete new hull from styrene sheet (semi-scale below the waterline, and with a higher freeboard than the original - which is more than a bit too low for comfort, as you can see from the photos of the card model!) and fitted R/C gear. Peder Skram has been run in the test tank but has not yet been sailed on the pond - I need to finish sealing the wood deck and removable hatches first. The SC has sailed at Black Park a couple of times and runs very well.

adam_goodin

« Reply #224 on: September 23, 2010, 09:08:08 pm »

Currently in the workshop..or on the slipway if you like...
- HMS Illustrious 1/96th (on hold)
- HMS Zulu 1/96th (getting there!)
- HMS Kellington 1/100th (on hold)
- Al Khubar (Slipway kit acquired from friend...installing running gear)
- Amsterdam (ex) (Acquired from friend, major re-modelling and refit)
- RTR Southampton (Steering modified - Several modifications under-way)
- Small Wooden fishing boat (in refit!)
- Aziz (Slipway kit ordered...hopefully be 2 weeks) !!!

Want to build a few more tugs and warships ! A Semi-sub oil-drilling platform and even a tanker one day!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 31   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.