Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 31   Go Down

Author Topic: Who's building what at the moment?  (Read 321328 times)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Who's building what at the moment?
« Reply #325 on: July 10, 2012, 10:46:19 am »

Finally having a go at my Graupner Moonraker, been in the loft for 8 years!

Nice boat :) Im jealous
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Davew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #326 on: July 10, 2012, 11:32:50 am »

Hi
U-33 I know how you fill with the old hands I have had to stop modeling at the moment.

Dave W
I am not sure about this

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #327 on: July 10, 2012, 12:14:04 pm »

I'm thinking of doing something in the old pond yacht type of build, if I can find something suitable in the way of plans. I have this yearning for a gaff-rigger...   %% ..  Much like Rich though, I too have to think about the size as I'm getting too old to lug boats that are too big about or to do things which are too fiddly either... I tended to swear a tad while doing the MicroMagic with all those tiny nuts and bolts  :embarrassed:.

A nice sized, old fashioned sailer might be on the cards though.....
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

davejay

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Swindon Model Boat and Engineering Club
« Reply #328 on: July 11, 2012, 01:13:10 pm »

Hi chaps,
Building my 64" 1/9th scale Thornycroft 43ft Range Safety Launch, just finished the skinning, was going to double diagonal plank but guessed it would take too long!! shes starting to look like a boat now that the skinning is done. Just started to reinforce the inners with the highly recommended (on here) PVA and tumble dryer sheet method, works really well. Going to start on the wheelhouse interior soon, need more details as to the layout and colour scheme, any info much appreciated.
Will post photos of the build thus far as soon as i can locate my camera!!!!

Impressed with all the other builds that are going on and feel less guilty about thinking of the next project whilst this present one is taking shape, going by the lists that some of you have on the go, i might start thinking about a few more now!!!.......unless swmbo say different!!!

All the best and happy sailing (just think of all the new lakes for us to use via all this rain)

off to build an ark now!!!
Imagine a world without boats!
Its not easy, I wont try, I just wont let it happen!

Raen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #329 on: July 11, 2012, 01:29:39 pm »

Hi everyone

Just thought I may as well mention what I am building at the moment, which happens to be a model of the steam tug Cervia.
Although at night plenty of research is being conducted into a possible future model of a molasses carrier called the Rona.

Tim

scoop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #330 on: July 11, 2012, 01:47:37 pm »

Hi,

Just about finished my two IC builds for my Model Boats mag monthly column, I say just about finished they just need setting up and the engines run in.
They are a 'D' class Waverider Navaho (sister to the Apache) with a Sikk 27 motor onboard, and an 'A' class using a GPL 1000 hull and an ASP 46M nitro motor.....all ready for testing and racing in the last few races of this season with BMPRS.....sorry no photo's you will have to check out the latest issues of Model Boats mag for those  :-))

Regards
Scoop
BMPRS Secretary/Pro www.bmprs.co.uk
PS. There ain't no going back

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #331 on: July 27, 2012, 11:04:17 pm »

Graupner MicroMagic 'Carbon' edition.
( sponsored by Model world )

I'll do a proper, 'What's in the box'  but done this much so far.... took the photos!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #332 on: July 27, 2012, 11:04:24 pm »

Marine Modelling magazine's TID Tug, wood pack version.

Have I got two set or are all the bulkheads doubled up?

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #333 on: July 27, 2012, 11:04:29 pm »

Imex Island class - Coast Guard Cutter

Bought this for a song on Wednesday, went to Dean's Marine today and Ripped the Guts right out of it!

Ron had warned me there may be an issue with the shafts, ie. misalignment, binging, seized, couplings... grub screws in plastic props! 
The boat had never been in the water but the port shaft was almost completely seized.
Starboard shaft did rotate but binding badly.... badly binding?
Fitted coupling were more suited to a big IC engine.
Rudder tillers will need reworking.

I set about removing the shafts with a Dremel and kicked up so much dust that Ron came outside to give me a dusk mask!
Ron; "What the hell you doing? I thought you were removing a couple of shafts not industrial mining?!'
The mounting compound seemed like a cheapo car body filler.... and there was a LOT of it!
Took nearly two hours to remove the shafts completely.... I turned had turned completely caucasian by the time I had finished!

Motors seem OK so I'll reuse those but with independent speed controllers.
I plan to use full length shafts right to the A frames, not scale but much more robust and serviceable.
All the railing are made of spaghetti... I've never seen such a brittle plastic, ever!

This is going to be my competition steering boat...... 

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #334 on: July 27, 2012, 11:16:22 pm »

Nothing because despite them all slagging of the Olympics there all watching it!!.
[/b]

{-) {-) {-)

Stavros

« Reply #335 on: July 27, 2012, 11:18:05 pm »

Funny thing is \Martin and I am getting rather WORRIED about you allready...it has allready driven you to DRINK  O0 O0 O0

Dave

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #336 on: July 27, 2012, 11:20:36 pm »

After the Olympics thread He will need all the Iron he can get. :}

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #337 on: July 27, 2012, 11:43:43 pm »

oooh the tid tug looks interesting ?.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #338 on: July 28, 2012, 12:17:29 am »

Seems odd, do 2 of the ribs sit within the cutouts on the spine ?

A71

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #339 on: July 29, 2012, 01:19:03 am »

Looking good I need to press on with my build :-)

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #340 on: July 30, 2012, 02:45:08 pm »

At the moment ............ (and all progress has been with much help received)

Struggling to finish a Hales Spraymaster refurb/new deck layout. It is just making the frame for a windsheild that I keep failing on.

Started an X-bow build- I'm going for an Ulstein concept vessel so no actual plans available.

I have a pibber hull (think Vietnam / Apocolypse Now boat) - the jets are on order from Germany.

I have others but they are only sitting on the shelf ......... one day though

Dave

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
« Reply #341 on: July 30, 2012, 06:50:42 pm »

Nearly finished Bugsier 3, I will then begin work on my African Queen, 1/10th scale from Kingston Moldings, 3.5 inch Maccsteam vertical boiler and TVR 1 A BB.
Martin, if you only need 1 set of TID parts, and want to flog the other, give us a shout. :-)) :-)) :-))
What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....

A71

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #342 on: August 02, 2012, 04:04:11 pm »

Both sets of formers need to be glued together so I was told I've come to a grinding holt at the second the propshaft is ready to go in but I need to decide what to put in her straight drive 540 55 turn or a 500 on box ???
If I use the 540 I will have to cut the keel to let the motor and coupling line up if I use a gearbox or belt drive I can make a platform for it to sit on 

Lash151

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #343 on: August 02, 2012, 04:22:41 pm »

I have just bought the Billing 1/20th Coast Guard... which I will make up as The Scout, Waveney lifeboat.
I have just opened the box and already had to cut a new stand because the wood parts they supplied for it were too flimsy... hmm... !
Lee

windwardcd28

• Shipmate
« Reply #344 on: August 02, 2012, 11:01:17 pm »

Is anybody actually building anything at the moment?!?!?  ;)

I'm still struggling with the Bismarck & a Graupner Pegasus & a Sheerline AKULA...

What are you building? O0

I am  building Model Slipways Envoy tug. Have just roughed in the motor and electronics. Current problem is how do I suppress the motor whine so I can hear the installed sound effects (steam engine, horn)
windwardcd28
Steve R.

wizard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #345 on: August 03, 2012, 12:19:03 pm »

Just received a Dark Biter kit which I will convert to Dark Aggressor.It's my first kit build after scratch building for the last 700 years, maybe it was only fifty with lots of gaps in between builds.
Have just finished renewing the motor and electrics in my Tug 1/32 scale Forceful, the real one is part of the Brisbane Maritime Museum.I made this model 26 years ago and in between moving countries several times it had quite a few years in storage. It's so good now I'm retired to be able to spend time on my boats.

Wizard
we never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Lash151

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #346 on: August 03, 2012, 06:10:56 pm »

Just received a Dark Biter kit which I will convert to Dark Aggressor.It's my first kit build after scratch building for the last 700 years, maybe it was only fifty with lots of gaps in between builds.
Have just finished renewing the motor and electrics in my Tug 1/32 scale Forceful, the real one is part of the Brisbane Maritime Museum.I made this model 26 years ago and in between moving countries several times it had quite a few years in storage. It's so good now I'm retired to be able to spend time on my boats.

Wizard

I looked at the Dark Biter ... thats the Nautical Marine models one isn't it? It looked like a really nice kit...
Lee

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #347 on: August 03, 2012, 08:39:38 pm »

Received my Model Slipway Aziz kit today. I've opened the box and looked at it but I've got some domestic stuff to do before I can really start on it.

windwardcd28

• Shipmate
« Reply #348 on: August 03, 2012, 10:50:33 pm »

Received my Model Slipway Aziz kit today. I've opened the box and looked at it but I've got some domestic stuff to do before I can really start on it.

I finished Aziz several months ago. It is a great kit to build. When I take her to the pond I always get compliments on how she performs. Lots of work but well worth the effort. I built up the after deck hatch and  shortened the after most scuppers to reduce deck flooding. I also did not cut out the port and starb gangway openings. Not noticeable deviations from the plan but my deck never gets wet. Just thought I might mention these changes as there is little freeboard on the after deck and in any kind of rough water your deck will get wet.
Good building.
windwardcd28
Steve

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #349 on: August 04, 2012, 12:40:16 am »

I finished Aziz several months ago. It is a great kit to build. When I take her to the pond I always get compliments on how she performs. Lots of work but well worth the effort. I built up the after deck hatch and  shortened the after most scuppers to reduce deck flooding. I also did not cut out the port and starb gangway openings. Not noticeable deviations from the plan but my deck never gets wet. Just thought I might mention these changes as there is little freeboard on the after deck and in any kind of rough water your deck will get wet.
Good building.
windwardcd28
Steve
Thanks Steve. I'll look out for where those changes might be. Looking at the YouTube vids a wet backside seems par for the course on AHTS vessels.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 31   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.