Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A newbie to finishing out a FG hull  (Read 3491 times)

mogogear

A newbie to finishing out a FG hull
« on: September 11, 2008, 12:38:20 am »

I have a Krick Alexandra Hull. It has a nice deck in place from the original builder , but there was no real finish out done to the inside of the fiberglass hull..Unless you call painting the fiberglass inside royal blue "a good idea!!

Anyway I want to cover this blue with vertical wooden strips or wood and then add wood details to resemble paneling. I think... is there a process I should follow - or a guide to point me towards to lay down some basic steps and maybe some pictures? I am unsure how to add to a fiber glass hull...

The floor that the power plant was attached to is removable so there is nothing in the way. The is no ballast installed. (I have sold the power plant.

Obviously I have a lot of work to do - but it is better than trying to remove a lot of bad build I guess. I look forward to adding the details.

Help or at least a starting place-- thanks

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: A newbie to finishing out a FG hull
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 02:43:35 am »

If you have sod the power plant, what do you intend to do with the rest of the model?
Turn into a static model?
Electirc power? If so where will the motor sit? This would need to be considered before planking the insides.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

mogogear

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 05:02:44 am »

No I have a gas fired accsteam  horizontal boiler , and a twin engine to go back in..So she will be a live steam launch-- I want her to look much more finished. The extra layers of detail can be layed in while time goes on. I need to finish out the main hull detail first- then on to the salon cabin. I just do not know how to build up over the FG interior of the hull.

Styrene is out since I am using steam( I assume) But I don't know how to get the frame work under the finish wood in place - clamp and glue and then lay in the real trim wood over that.. or styrene framing and then wood??

So in short ( or long) I am inquiring about method - I know the dimensions of my new power plant and how it will sit on the deck  I want the blue areas to be wood clad in a classic or normal style - if there is such ..

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 10:21:04 pm »

Hi!,

Would it be easier just to plank the inside, starting from the bulwarks and working down, in thin veneer planks stuck straight onto the hull to simulate the 'imagined' finish on the hull. You could stop when you hit the point hidden by the engine plate and then put thin vertical (steamed) stringers in place.

The only points to watch would be the choice of glue and what effect it could have on the blue paint.

Tony

mogogear

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 11:35:47 pm »

Ok thanks - planks glued straight onto the FB hull..I may need to strip the blue paint off so I bond to something I can trust..

Another version of this question can be shown in this picture... it looks as if there is canvas glued to the inside of the hull- painted white- and then vertical strips of wood glued and varnished to give a paneled look..am I understanding what I am seeing correctly?

I could go for an all wood look or this style.... more thoughts - ?? Thanks

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 02:08:57 am »

Some thoughts from a man who has never attempted any of the following.

You may want to put in a solid piece of wood to mount your boiler first, doing it first it should be more secure. It may take a bit of shaping but will be worthwhile.

The second boat appears to have an inner wall of timbering, as if pannels had been laid over the ribs of the frame, creating a double wall effect.
If on a real boat I imagine this would be achieved by planking horizontally from the handrail down, or from the deck up. to achieve this you would need some kind of spacer between inner and outer wall. Mock ribs would help you achieve this. You could then plank over them horizontally, or use sheets of very thin ply (0.4mm) to follow the curves.
The canvas effect might just be cotton sheet, laid on the the inside of the boat, a water resitant PVA could do this.
Then add your wooden floor/deck.
Then the wooden strips/frames could have been laid over the cotton, and not indivual cotton pannels between frames. And also along the edge where the wall meets the deck.

If you are not after a double walled effect you could try this.
Get very thin balsa planks (perhaps 0.5mm) and glue horizontally to the inside of the FG hull, this would simulate the hull planking as would be seen from the inside on a full size boat. After gluing with CA, a few coats of varnish and they will be rock solid.
You may want to put in a solid piece of wood to mount your boiler first, doing it first it should be more secure. It may take a bit of shaping but will be worthwhile.
You should also add mock ribs. You will need to think about where they would have been sited on a boat of this scale. Again this could be achieved with balsa. Balsa I believe can be made to bend like rubber with a 10% solution of ammonia or ammonia based cleaning products. You can use heavy square section balsa or you could laminate several thinner more flexible stirps.
Finally lay in your floor.

For some reason I do not think the internal planking would be vertical. Possibly because of curvature, and possibly because all those cuts require more labour in a real boat. But what do I know?  ::)
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

mogogear

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 04:34:17 am »

Thanks TT--

Yes I should have mentioned that I would have a main lower deck installed to support a mounting plate for the boiler and engine. I am only interested in the area from that deck up to  the top of the gunwales . as shown in the second picture. I most likely may make the lower deck removable from the hull as well as the mounting plate from the lower deck. I do see that horizontal running planking would be easier as it would take less cuts and it would require less bending etc.

Thanks for the input- experienced or not- I welcome it all!!

Bee

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 02:07:21 pm »

If you are worried about the glue reacting with the paint just try it on a bit - at worst you find a way of getting the paint off  :)
Since the base is so rough you just need a good gap filling glue. In non visible framing, if the paint allows, P38 or equivalent is easy, or Evostick and Bostic which are quite good gap bridgers, though might not be so good in long term heat.
Regular cotton would not be thick enough to hide the grp texture without first smoothing with filler but heavy denim might. However I would think a heat and oil resistant finish will be tricky on a porous cloth until you have treated it so much the cloth texture is lost. You will also have a rather uneven surface to fit your cosmetic ribs to, resulting in unsightly gaps.

wideawake

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 06:27:08 pm »

Ok thanks - planks glued straight onto the FB hull..I may need to strip the blue paint off so I bond to something I can trust..

Another version of this question can be shown in this picture... it looks as if there is canvas glued to the inside of the hull- painted white- and then vertical strips of wood glued and varnished to give a paneled look..am I understanding what I am seeing correctly?

I could go for an all wood look or this style.... more thoughts - ?? Thanks

That looks like the engine 'ole of a Krick Victoria to me.   If so it may just be the white of the hull you're seeing between the ribs.   It's a vac moulded ABS hull rather than a grp one and very smooth on the inside.   The build instructions simply describe sticking the mahogany ribs to the hull.    On a different topic I note that the gas tank is covered in wood strips.   I did that on mine to start with but took them off as they insulated the tank and made it even more inclined to get too cold.

HTH

Guy

mogogear

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 08:35:34 pm »

Thanks Guy- I have now planked the inside of my hull with pre-scribed wood sheeting- and it looks much better. I opted to not plank each strip.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.