Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Building the Caldercraft Imara  (Read 26838 times)

Bungie 247

Building the Caldercraft Imara
« on: September 22, 2008, 04:31:55 pm »

Hi peeps, I don't know if anyone cares but I have just started on the Caldercraft Imara after a break from modelling for several years. I have decided to share my experiences with anyone who cares to follow at - www.imarablog.org

Any tips, comments or constructive critisism are welcome, particularily if you have built the Imara yourself.

Regards, Martin.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Building the Caldercraft Imara
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 06:09:37 pm »

Hi Martin..... (is there an echo in here?!)

Nice bloc ! (That still doesn't sound like polite language yet does it?!!!)
Please notify us of bloc updates by adding a post here too......

Martin - Admin.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

a3nige

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 07:12:38 pm »

Looking forward to watching this one.   O0
"You're a hard person to ignore, but well worth the effort !"

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 08:07:14 pm »

Hi Bungie 247

I too, have purchased the Imara, but am waiting on new hull as it arrived fractured. I shall be following your build with interest. It does look a great model to build and there are several write ups on her, which I have collected.

Welcome to Modelboatmayhem. We would be interested in any pictures of your build, as you go along, if you could throw a few this way, to encourage visitors to your site.  8)

All the best

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Bungie 247

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 08:53:17 pm »

Well what a welcome, I honestly thought that no one would be interested in the ramblings of an amateur model maker like me!!!! How wrong you can be   :D

Of course I shall keep this forum aware of my progress, mainly because I will probably be asking for lots of advice   {-)

@ Ken - Sorry to hear about your hull. Was it the twin or single screw? Where was the split and who did you get it from? I hope you can make a start soon.

@ Martin - I allready have a link to this site from my Blog and as I mentioned above I will post here often.

@ a3nige - Are you sure? Hehehe, you obviously have never seen me in action with a craft knife or paint brush, or maybe it is the comedy aspect you are looking forward to (cue the Benny Hill Show theme tune)  :D

Bungie 247

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 08:59:55 pm »

By the way, who visited my blog using Windows 98 and IE5 ?     Ahhhhhhhhhhggghhhhhh please tell me that you don't order stuff with your credit card online from that machine, please :o

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 09:11:50 pm »

Hi Bungie

I have the twin screw version from Cornwall model boats ( Via Jotika).  It seems there aren't any new hulls in the UK and it has to come from Germany.

The damage was caused by the delivery man dropping it on it's end and splitting the Skeg section. You can see daylight up through the stern. I haven't opened any of the packets just in case they wanted the whole box back again.  :(

I won't be doing a build blog on this one as they are time consuming, and I already have the Waverley Blog to complete, so your build came at the right time. Best of luck with your build. I'm sure the guys on here will answer any queries you might have.

ken

Bungie 247

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 09:24:16 pm »

Hi Kenny, bloody delivery drivers. Yours is not the first tale of woe on that subject let me tell you. :(

I hope that when you do make a start that you will let me know so that we can swap ideas.

Are you going for electric (like me) or steam?

Martin.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 09:26:43 pm »

Sorry to hear of the damage Ken. Jotika don't cast the hulls themselves as their premises are not suitable for GRP moulding work. Hopefully it will be replaced quickly.

Martin - I did the original review model of Imara for Model Boats magazine way back. if you want a copy of the review I'm happy to email it to you.

Colin

Bungie 247

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 09:57:32 pm »

@ Colin - Wow, so many nice peeps in here. Yes,  please email anything that may be remotely relevant to my build. It will all be much appriciated :)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 10:55:22 pm »

Sent Martin, hope you find it useful and I wish you every success with your build. It makes a lovely model.

Colin

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 08:44:20 am »

Bungie,

Have a look through the builds we have going on the forum at the moment and you will see that we cover just about every level of skill and experience.  We can all learn from each other as regards specific models as well as techniques so feel free to ask away and share your own build.  This is a particularly popular model so I'm sure you will generate a lot of interest and get plently of input.

Maybe a steam plant would be a bit ambitious for  you but I would seriously consider having a cold water vapour generator to give you a smoke effect.  Very easy but very effective and that bit easier to incorporate in your thinking from the start.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

barryfoote

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 09:05:54 am »

Trust Bunkerbarge to post a photo of a REAL boat. O0 O0

I just love that picture..

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 01:03:11 pm »

Hi Kenny, *horrible* delivery drivers. Yours is not the first tale of woe on that subject let me tell you. :(

I hope that when you do make a start that you will let me know so that we can swap ideas.

Are you going for electric (like me) or steam?

Martin.

Hi Martin/ Colin.

About time I made enquiries. It's been over two week now. I have two motors from another member on here called 'Bosun'. They look the size of Robbe 1000's and are very quiet, but powerful. Bollard pull test here I come.  ;D

I also have Colin's excellent write up. It's the original from the Model Boat magazine in 1989, and what swayed me into getting the Imara in the first place.   O0

ken

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2008, 01:05:36 pm »

Trust Bunkerbarge to post a photo of a REAL boat. O0 O0

I just love that picture..

O0
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2008, 01:07:15 pm »

I also have Colin's excellent write up. It's the original from the Model Boat magazine in 1989

Seems like yesterday, where did the years go.....?!  :'(

Bungie 247

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 03:33:02 pm »

Hi peeps, just an update but I have now added a "Resources" link and tab to my site. Please send any pics or documents that you may feel would assist me (or others) in building the Imara.     

See it at www.imarablog.org

A big thank you to Colin for getting the ball rolling.  ;D

@Ken - I have just this very morning received two Robbie 1000's. I hope they turn out to be as good as I was made to believe.

@Bunkerbarge - Cold Water Vapor generator, looks real nice (lovely pic btw). Do you have any details on how you made yours?

Martin.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 04:40:54 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 06:26:24 pm »

Hi Martin, I have always loved the Imara it was never within my budget :'( :'( :'( :'(   Have a look at this for your smoke genny http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=12767.msg123470#new  There is a link to youtube showing it running in my Steam Tug Canning.

Mark.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2008, 08:14:25 pm »

@Ken - I have just this very morning received two Robbie 1000's. I hope they turn out to be as good as I was made to believe.

Martin.

Martin:   I have a Robbe 1000 in my 58" Boston Typhoon and it pulls like a 'good un'. Imagine what two will do to a shorter boat

Seems like yesterday, where did the years go.....?!   :'(

Colin:    Sorry to remind you.   ;)

ken

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2008, 08:16:30 pm »

I ws young and innocent then.... ::)

Bungie 247

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2008, 08:43:27 pm »

@No mustang mark - I have been looking at the smoke generator, and I must say I am impressed. Are you still making them? If so I may get one, but I have an idea for my own that I may try out first.

@Ken - Two motors should push the world in the opposite direction then  {-)

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2008, 09:21:56 pm »

Hi Bungie, The vapour generator in the tug above is a JJC unit which are unfortunately no longer manufactured.  Mark, now makes a similar unit, as linked to above, which should give the same effect and also has the major advantages over the heated oil types of using less power and not having a hot element heating up oil inside your precious boat!

The disadvantages are that the units are bigger and Marks does need an additional power supply for it but if you have the room, and in an Imara with a motor propulsion you have the room, then you can get some very realistic effects.  I recieved a unit from Mark only today, thanks Mark, and I will be having a play around with it on the bench tommorrow.

Bungie 247

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2008, 09:26:49 pm »

@Bunkerbarge - I am glad you have got one. Could you give me a update on how it performs and installs when you get to know it. Open air on the water type video would be really cool to see.

I have also put links to Marks smoke generator on my site - http://www.imarablog.org/index.php?page_id=101

Also, if anyone can provide more information on the Robbe 1000 motors than I already have it would be greatly appriciated. http://www.imarablog.org/?p=125

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2008, 09:55:49 pm »

HY Bungie 247
I have one of Marks units, I must confess I do know him as he lives near to me, but none the less I have seen his units working close up and I am impressed by them.
I am putting the one I have into my finished Imara, hopefully this week ( I am in the process of building a new workshop so I cant really say when.)
I am also getting a couple more to put into some other tugs that I have.
They are a nice clean, no fuss job, that work straightaway, its a pity about the 24 volt system, but dont let that put you off.
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.