Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Smit London  (Read 22602 times)

markymar93

Re: Smit London
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2011, 08:00:51 pm »

Hi
I love the boat.  It looks great on the water.

thanks mark

tugnut

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2011, 08:22:28 pm »

Hi Hama that looks great ,she looks good in the water to.

regards John B

hama

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2011, 02:52:01 pm »

Hello!
Thanks to both of you!
I'm really enjoying the build now.
All the best.
Hama

wibplus

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2011, 05:10:36 pm »

I have just started to build the Rotterdam. (Very slowly).  %) I could use as much info as possible, being a bit inexperienced, but I  bought this kit second-hand and therefore it was a bit less than shop price.  :-))
If I wanted to tow with this model, do I need to mod the recommendations for motors,props etc etc and I presume to reinforce the towing point ?  {:-{
Any and all help will be useful. Cheers guys.  :-)  :-)

hama

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2011, 11:40:42 am »

Hello!
Took her out on this lovely day. There ain't that much left to do on her, some more fittings and details and if I could find new name decals of course. In fact, I've started to look for my next project.
All the best!
Hama

offshore1987

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2011, 08:59:17 pm »

One of the best models i have seen on here for along time :) Nice build :)

hama

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2011, 10:50:33 pm »

Thanks, I really appreciate it. But you know the pictures hide all the imperfections, even so I am satisfied with her and thats what counts at the end of the day, isn't it?
Have a nice weekend!
Hama

hama

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2012, 05:20:30 pm »

Took her out today, choppy seas and a strong wind. Lost all lifesaving equipment overboard, all the lifebuoys where stowed away in the lifeboats and they both went overboard and sank!! Silly me that hadn't secured them permanently yet. Just placed an order with my favourite supplier Cornwall modelboats. Anyway, she is a tugboat built for the high seas and she will be tested for it. Good thing is that there where no water at all inside. She also handled strong gusts of wind on the side. Sorry no pics as it was a bit rainy as well. New tests will follow.
All the best!
Hama.

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2012, 06:40:42 pm »

Hello

all the lifebuoys where stowed away in the lifeboats and they both went overboard and sank!! Silly me that hadn't secured them permanently yet

Mostly silly : the lifebuoys and lifeboats didn't float and just sank :o

It's just for humour, for the rest your Smit London is nice and well built. May I say that your work on the nozzle is right and I'm just surprized you kept the three bladed plastic propellers.

Xtian

hama

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2012, 08:18:22 pm »

Hello Xtian!
Thanks for your nice comments, feels good coming from a pro like you. ;)
About the propellers, I would love to buy those nice brass kort props but I don't want to spend the money just yet. The props I use are a lot better than the original ones and they do the job.
Last year there was a big story here about lifebuoys on some vessels that had been filled up with rainwater and consequently where too heavy and nearly sank in the water, so quite realistic there! The lifeboats probably would have made it if they only had landed right side up in the water.
All the best!
Hama.

hama

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2012, 02:53:34 pm »

Hello!
Took her out in a northerly gale today, temp just below zero so it was really cold to take pictures so the quality isn't the best. There was ice on the forward mast and its support lines when I took her back to shore, that's kind of cool I think. I can definitely say that she has past her seaworthiness trials with top marks.
Hope you enjoy!
All the best.
Hama

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2012, 07:22:27 pm »

Hello

Humm, the life boats are missing ?  oups sorry for this sick humour  :embarrassed:

You were not so affraid during that sea trial with gale ? Nice pics for our eyes  :-)) I love this ocean tug.

Xtian

hama

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2012, 08:54:06 pm »

Hello X-tian!
Lets say that Iīm happy that I donīt have to work on this boat myself, putting the lifes of the crew on the line. The new lifesaving equipment is delivered but not installed, and if you look closely you will see that there are no doors to the bridge either!  >:-o
Have a nice weekend!
Hama

Dreadstar

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2012, 10:30:43 am »

That's an amazing job that you've made of her Hama,and you know that she can handle virtually anything,well done. :-)) :-))

hama

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2012, 09:04:38 pm »

Thanks!
Yes she is really capable, looking forward to testing her again.
All the best!
Hama

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2012, 08:24:02 pm »

Hello!
I have now fitted doors to the the boat, the crew is very happy about this new addition. The wheelhousedoors actually open! Have also added some lifebuoys and the "catwalks" around the bridgewindows among other things.
Hama

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2012, 08:28:18 pm »

...maneuvering into position.

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2012, 08:39:12 pm »

Just steaming around to show off!
All the best!
Hama

deadwood

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2012, 01:01:22 pm »

This looks great!  Ive always liked these boats.

Does anyone know where to obtain plans for scratch building them?

Maybe not quite plans for scratch building, but as I myself always have been inspired by these deap sea salvage tugs
I was most excited when I found the GA plan for download of the Dutch Kustwacht emergency tug vessel WAKER ex SMIT SINGAPORE  on a website of the Kustwacht,
so that I reconstructed a hull model from this plan with the hull lofting program DELFTship (DS).
I posted the result in my thread here and later packaged it into a single archive together with the GA plan and my DS model of WAKER's ETV successor IEVOLI BLACK,
and made it available for download from here.

Though my digital models are merely approximations and by no means authoritative they might aid in scratch building a model hull.

A prefabricated GRP hull of SMIT LONDON in 1:50 is also available from Steinhagen Modelltechnik.
But note, that my DS models have nothing in common with this hull and the available plans set from the IG Lloyd because I hadn't used that source when finding the lines.

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2012, 02:36:06 pm »

Hello

I was most excited when I found the GA plan for download of the Dutch Kustwacht emergency tug vessel WAKER ex SMIT SINGAPORE

I'm sure you know that info but you made a mistake, the Waker is ex-Smit Houston a smaller type 67 meters long than the bigger and more powerful 75 meters long  London-Rotterdam and slighty different Singapore

The Waker (ex-Smit Houston) was sister ship with the Chinese Hua Yan (ex Smit New York)   

the Steinhagen Modelltechnik plan is a nice drawing to build a scratch model

Xtian

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2012, 12:25:13 pm »

Hello again!
Took her for a short sail today.
Done some work on her during the summer, new vent intakes on the back of the funnels for the engines and a new watertight hatch on the aft deck. Will post pictures of that later. Also decided to add working lights, despite that I didnīt plan do from the beginning. Would like to fix a working radar antenna as well.
All the best!
Hama

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2012, 07:11:50 pm »

looks great in the waves there  :-))

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2012, 08:42:34 pm »

Hi Hama
she looks great breaking throught waves.

john

wibplus

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2012, 09:57:13 pm »

Looks very smart indeed.  O0    :-))
I must get a round tuit and start on building mine that has been on top of the wardrobe tool cabinet for too long now.   :D :D

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2012, 12:47:07 am »

Wow! Where did you find that seaway?
Good test for your "new watertight hatch" I think :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.