Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Restoring a Cheddar steam plant  (Read 27591 times)

wideawake

Re: Restoring a Cheddar steam plant
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2008, 12:05:08 am »

Oh yes please do. Thanks for the kind offer.

And, by the way, since you seem to have no use for that pump, why not let me have it?  %)

cos I'd like it  :-)

BTW I'd suggest Jerry at Clevedon Steam for the water gauge and safety valve for the engine.  He's ex-Cheddar Models and very helpful.  He replaced the damaged water gauge on the vertical boiler from in Fair Constance. 

BTW congratulations.  You've done wonders on that kit.  It looks like it should now!

Cheers

Guy

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2008, 11:09:09 am »

Looks like a different plant already, superb job.  You can buy planking in any width and thickness for the cladding and you are lucky as you have the brass bands already to hold them in place.

I tend to think that carefull painting of the cast parts of the engine in green would look better than simply bare metal all over.  I would just leave the machined surfaces bare metal.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

kno3

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2008, 01:24:21 pm »

I did talk to Jerry of Clevedoin Steam but he doesn't have the water gauge yet. It will take a couple of months, he said.

Proteus

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2008, 03:48:10 pm »

try Polly eng ask for Bruce Davey he will know what you need for a sight glass , he knows all about cheddar models.you will need a elbow and a couple of spacers as well . Macc or Polly will be able to supply the correct safety valve make shore it is set correct.
over not painting the boiler , you may find it will tarnish very quickly, it a lot different animal to the spirit fired one you have been using there is a lot of heat of them .

one last thing in one of the pictures of how it arrived it shows the bearers in the wrong way these are the supports the boiler sits on the chamfer goes in the corner to help it sit straight , if you turn the around the boiler sits on the base and heats it up, picture

Proteus,

kno3

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2008, 04:09:49 pm »

Thanks, I know what you mean. I turned them the right way now.

kno3

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2008, 12:15:11 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0xp9cNVcWU

Here's a test of the Puffin engine (only) under steam, with a smaller Pippit boiler.

Proteus

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2008, 12:22:17 pm »

looks to be running nice ..why did you not use the speed regulator on the engine ??

Proteus

kno3

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2008, 01:22:39 pm »

Because it was hot   %)

kno3

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2009, 12:34:51 am »

Time for an update:

I finally got a suitable water gauge for the Cheddar return flue boiler. Jerry Watson of Clevedon Steam made it for me, he does very nice work.
Here it is mounted:

Also decided to add some wood insulation (walnut). It doesn't extend the whole length of the boiler because the left side is the smoke box.

Oiling the wood:

The almost finished product (the chimney is borrowed from a Saito boiler):

logoman

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2009, 02:51:52 pm »

Wow!, lovely job. :-))

tomocj

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2009, 07:00:04 am »

What a great looking bit of kit,So impressed I might even have a go at a steam powered boat myself.
Who else apart from Puffin manufactures them ?
chris

Roger in France

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2009, 07:05:34 am »

tomocj:

Before setting off on steam engines have a read of the last 2 editions of "Model Boats" where a well known Mayhemmer has started an excellent series on this subject, especially for beginners. (Mind he would be far too modest to draw your attention to it!)

Roger in France

kno3

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2009, 10:16:36 pm »

Who is that mayhemer?

Tomocj, thanks, there are several manufacturers of model steam engines, ranging from cheaply made tin toys to superbly engineered steam plants. One of the manufacturers of these high end engines is a member of this forum too, Nick Monahan, and he has a very nice website. If you need links to manufacturers, let me know, I can e-mail them to you.

Proteus

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2009, 10:19:01 pm »

What a great looking bit of kit,So impressed I might even have a go at a steam powered boat myself.
Who else apart from Puffin manufactures them ?
chris

Puffin  or do you mean  Cheddar ?

Proteus

tomocj

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2009, 09:29:00 am »

I mean cheddar ,have I had a senior moment ?

Proteus

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2009, 09:35:50 am »

I only posted that in case you where going to do a search for items, and spent ages not finding anything. keep an eye on ebay

do you sail close to home as I have to go that way to often to the outlaws

Proteus

Neil

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2010, 09:40:46 am »

Could I ask a stupid question?

I just finished reading "Scale Model Ship Propulsion", by Tom Gorman.
All through the book he mentions Cheddar and Hemmens products. (He even says there are no model Compound Steam Engines! That's a laugh! I have 2 Twin Stuart Compounds, and a Stuart Triple Compound. Opening the book, I see it was printed in 2003. I rest my case.)
I have some Hemmens models, and would love some Cheddars too, but their website seems to just refer to Loco boilers now. Are they still making steam boilers for other than locos? Are they still making the ABC control? (The Automatic Boiler Control.)

On the subject of Tom Gorman books, I have six or more. I shouldn't have bothered. Two of them are identical, but with changed covers to "suck in the suckers"! Several of the others have exactly the same photos, articles, even chapters in them. Now, over £100 lighter, I shall never buy a Tom Gorman anything again.
It's just like the record albums in the 60s. A couple of good topics (hits), and the rest scattered through different books (albums), photos and all, and sell it again. Records were notorious for having one or two hits, and six albums later, you got the same songs over again.
I've been suckered quite enough thank you.

Neil.

P.S. I have the books here to prove my claims.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2010, 10:48:22 am »

you cannot get the ABC yet, but you can get the Electronic gas valve. Ive just got one and they are as good as they where and much better I think than the mechanical ones

http://www.stuartmodels.com/accessories.cfm/mainaccess_type/9/the_type/Electronic%20Gas%20Valve

Peter

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2010, 10:53:14 am »

Neil,  Cheddar Models ceased trading a number of years ago however the boilers continue to be made by Tim Taschimowitz, who used to work for them, and can be purchased here:

http://www.cheddarvalleysteam.co.uk/

As Peter says the EGV is still available through Stuart Turner models and they also continue to produce an oscillating 'V' twin engine.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2010, 11:57:59 am »

however the boilers continue to be made by Tim Taschimowitz, who used to work for them, and can be purchased here:

And as an addition, if you ring and speak to Claire, be warned, she is ALSO a boiler maker par excellence   O0

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2010, 12:17:21 pm »

And as an addition, if you ring and speak to Claire, be warned, she is ALSO a boiler maker par excellence   O0

Regards  Ian.

They even named a boat after heir.. ;)

Peter

wideawake

« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2010, 02:27:03 pm »

They even named a boat after heir.. ;)

Peter

Have Tim and Claire got a child then?   :-)

Guy

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2010, 08:11:20 pm »

not heard about any children, but rember this

wideawake

« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2010, 12:08:58 am »

not heard about any children, but remember this

Yes I do indeed.   My post was an attempt at a joke based on the typo in the previous post "heir" for "her"  Ah well....  :-)

Guy

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2010, 12:50:53 am »

yes I thought it was that but I always think this is a place to relax and talk model boats, not a spelling compertition semi final. :} :} :}

peteR
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.