Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Sir Lancelot the Building from Jan09  (Read 100496 times)

wallace

Sir Lancelot the Building from Jan09
« on: November 13, 2008, 07:19:21 pm »

I would welcome any help and tips on the building of the Sir Lancelot from mouthfleet models,also anyone who has built her and taken photos of the stages of building would be so helpful.Thanks  wallace

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Sir Lancelot the Building from Jan09
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 12:54:15 pm »

One of my club members has one that he built many years ago.  Its a super good looking boat, but every care has to be taken to keep top weight down, and lower the centre of gravity, as it can be a VERY tender boat.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 01:44:33 pm »

Jorg (white ensign) has done this and has put lots of his opinions of the kit plus photographs on the forum.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=11157.0

Hopr this helps. :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

wallace

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 07:20:48 pm »

heres some photos of my building of the Sir Lancelot

wallace

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 07:27:23 pm »

Heres some more have taken over 100 photos just get carried away so proud of what I have done    wallace

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 09:21:09 pm »

Very nice Wallace but you would be better off keeping them on the same topic instead of starting a new one each time.  :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

barryfoote

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 08:47:54 am »

I am sure Martin can glue the topics together..........when he gets a little spare time.......in 2012 :-))

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 10:26:13 am »

Wallace.....I do not know the build.....but are the bilge keel plates in the correct location?.....the photograph suggests that they would protrude outboard of the hull...... or is it just a parallax issue? <*< Derek...keep up the good work
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 01:01:08 pm »

I am sure Martin can glue the topics together..........when he gets a little spare time.......in 2012 :-))

Done!  :P
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

wallace

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 06:30:30 pm »

more photos

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 08:43:21 am »

Looking really smart, very neat and tidy.  I like the internal paint job as well, makes everything a lot brighter and cleaner internally and well worth the effort.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

wallace

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 10:05:15 am »

thanks for the good replies to the building all the paint work is primer only abit to cold to gloss
Yes I do paint inside of my hulls it makes it look cleaner and while builing if you drop any small bits inside its easy to see and find.
and when sailing boats and have the tops off for people to see inside its so nice knowing the inside hull is just as clean and neat as the outside.
At the moment have redone the deck supports as I was not happy with the first one glad to say all is well and its ready for the deck to be fixed after I have re-fix the rudder after a very good member on this site made a new one for me which is alot stronger I cannot thank this person high enough  Thank You.
Will keep the photos coming and dont forget to give me your comments good or bad  we are all here to help.
 wallace

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 11:21:50 am »

Hi Wallace, I don`t want to criticize, but I doubt the "inside-painting" job very much. My experience is, that whenever you need to glue something after painting, you glue it on the paint instead of the material. The result will be falling of bits and pieces.

Anyway- this is just a suggestion and no point of critics, often discussed and always a point of the personal comprehension;
I wonder why you have used "gloss-colours" instead of satin or matt? In my opinion gloss-colours make a model look a bit "toy-like".
Anyway- nice job you have done there, waiting for more photographs.

Another tipp with the Mountfleet-Kit:
try to keep all  installitions i.e. speedcontrol and electronics on the side of the hull, as she as a real heavy beast at the end and needs lots of ballast, especially around the section where your motor use to sit. Saving ballast will bring you into trouble as she will not sail very stable...

If you are in doubt anyway, get in touch with me.
Well done buddy- go on then!!!!  :-))

Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 11:29:33 am »

... sorry- me again.
As I have seen you have started to put filler on the inside of the wall, which use to be shown over the deck level after all. I had tried this once but found it the most time-killing job, with an... "unsatisfying" finish.
Tipp:
I just had sand down the fibreglass and then glued 0,3mm Aluminium-plate on it. It is much easier and if you cut them into single plates it`ll give the appearance of the welded hull-plates. Less of time, better look. What else may you ask for?

Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 01:40:53 pm »

Jörg, I agree you need to be careful when painting the insides of a fibre glass hull but from what I can see off this model the internal fittings are in place and so there shouldn't be other problems as long, as you say, as things are not glued to the paint.  I can't see any gloss paint on extrnal surfaces though.

I do disagree with your thouhts on smoothing the insides of bulwarks.  Obviously covering with aluminium, plasticard or even ply is an option but I used P-38 filler then rubbed it down afterwards and got a very good finish for very little effort.  I think the key to making this technique as easy as possible is to first rub the surface to remove the really high spots, then apply the filler with a very wide spatula which covers the entire height of the bulwark.  Rubbing down afterwards should then be a very quick and easy task.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 02:16:23 pm »

Bunker, I am with you but you mentioned it:
First to sand down the big dents, then filler, wait until it`s hard, then sand down again. Probably you have to do a second layer..., fill, wait, sand...

I have found that by using aluminium (no plasticard- as this may ribb off on a hot summer day!) I just need:

Sand down the big dents, glue and apply, wait until it`s hard....- and that`s it. So you`ll save the second operation... Most properly it is the sloth in me, which tries to save work wherever possible to get the same or better result...  %)

barryfoote

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 03:45:55 pm »

One of the beauties of this site....Everyone has a different way of doing something. "Nowt wrong wi that". Personally, I go for the P38 method, but there are other choices..

Barry

wallace

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 05:20:25 pm »

:-)) Well I have had a great read of all your replies and Im learning so much from you all about the inside top of the hull I have always sanded then put alittle car filler on then sanded again untill its like a babies bottom then painted ( not having people saying the state of that ) so I always do that.About the painting of the inside of the hull like I said it looks alot cleaner when people look inside and it makes me feel like I have done a good job,all the elec's and motor are fitted on plywood primed and then painted and motor is held down with screws etc all the rest is taped.Jorg I have taken into count what you said about the paint and its just me I want my boat to always be better than the last build and to stand out will keep the paint job in mind when I do start to paint at the moment have only used primmer.Please keep the comments coming Its very helpful.   wallace

wallace

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 05:22:33 pm »

The guns are getting repainted I only glossed them to have alook and to see what to use.

wallace

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 05:26:43 pm »

more photos

barryfoote

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 06:11:08 pm »

Very good woodwork, precise and clean..

wallace

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2009, 06:28:19 pm »

more photos

wallace

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2009, 06:33:38 pm »

Last ones for a few days these are the wooden platforms for the boat deck and the stern

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2009, 07:29:58 pm »

Wallace- not too bad, mate!
Another Tipp:
Before installing the bridgedeck on the top of the bridge, think about the cablework for the lights which sit on the frames outside. If you have use plywood, make sure to engrave two little channels for the wires on each side. So you may hide the wires inside them which gives a bit a better look. Mark one corner at the backside, where the telegraphy-cabinet is to lead them down hidden.

Jörg

parky

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2009, 08:25:07 am »

I would welcome any help and tips on the building of the Sir Lancelot from mouthfleet models,also anyone who has built her and taken photos of the stages of building would be so helpful.Thanks  wallace
:-))nice  work wallace are you fitting working lights it would look amazing  parky
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.