Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: revell type 7 pics  (Read 7473 times)

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
revell type 7 pics
« on: September 10, 2006, 08:47:18 pm »

Hi everyone, this is my revell type 7 so far. Its almost finished just some small details to put on such as rigging etc. But still waiting for bits and pieces to start the wtc. I know AMBERNBLU has been waiting on these. Im quite happy with the paint job because ive never done weathering before. Now just got to do 2 more for my dad and my little brother to complete our own little wolfpack. And if they all go well i might do another in quite an unusual splinter camoflage like the tirpitz.

ambernblu

Re: revell type 7 pics
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 09:12:19 pm »

... in a word, stunning! Well done, it certainly looks the business! The job you have done on the weathering is superb too - will need some tips from you I reckon!  ;)

Have you cut out all the individual (small) limber(?) holes? Can I also ask where you got the swordfish(?) motif transfers from - they are not from the kit. I've had my kit bits spread out today and made a start on cleaning up some of the pieces. I'll ring that contact of yours tomorrow. Many thanks, you'll be an inspiration to few others on here, I'm sure! Yep, I do like the splinter cam too, have to see how this one goes then may buy that other Atlantic version later....  Cheers, and all the best, Brian

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 09:19:57 pm »

Hi Brian, Thanks very much. anything you want two know just ask. the swordfish is a stencil i made from friskit film copied from a picture on the net. just use google images and type in either 9th flotilla or german uboat insignia and it should come though you will have to resize and reverse for the other side and print it off then trace it onto the frisket film. An easier option is U.L.A.D decals however the fish is blue which i dont like and they have proven hard to get hold of, but try white ensign models or hannants i spoke to them and they reckon they can get hold of them. and yes i have cut out all of the holes on the hull sides and the conning tower platform.

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 02:45:23 pm »

Hello D, your u-boat looks great, you've done a fine job on that finish!
catch up with you soon......... Chris

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 05:06:13 pm »

The sub looks fantasitc Dino, it really does! I had only seen it partialy built and painted the other week , i think the colours he's used are spot on....Ooooh...i do like that Swordfish :o One of the other members has made his own transfers for a Itailian river launch, he purchased printable waterslide paper and printed his own. He can be found in your builds section if you decide to take this route. I have used Hannants own transfers in the past, but i found them to be of poor quality as they just seem to crack and fall apart after i soak them >:(

Voyager.

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 07:03:18 pm »

Wow, amazing stuff! Love the rust effects  :P. Yo0u must have spent quite a while getting it to look as it does.

For those you that don'r like drilling holes, ModelBrass does a PE deck, There is a wooden dek too that looks superb and White Ensign do so PE sheets too.

ambernblu

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 07:23:47 pm »

... we were talking about the deck situation last night - just how crucial is it that the deck has every last hole drilled out??

Yep, he's done a remarkable paint job - half as good as that would make me a happy bunny!  ;) Cheers, Brian

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 07:45:03 pm »

... we were talking about the deck situation last night - just how crucial is it that the deck has every last hole drilled out??

Yep, he's done a remarkable paint job - half as good as that would make me a happy bunny!  ;) Cheers, Brian

To make it work you don't need any of the slots drilled out really, (most of the trapped air will leave through the tower- you may need one or 2 extra holes towards the rear if your sub dives bow first), its just to make it look right.

ambernblu

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 07:55:28 pm »

... thanks Mankster - sounds like its trial and error (and practice) probably then - as you say, to try to make it look right. I'm only at the 'drilling and cutting millions of holes out in the hull pieces' stage at the moment! Cheers, Brian

Johan

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 12:40:29 am »

Maybe a trick that can help drilling those holes out: I use a proxxon to scrape the inside away till the floud holes are open. This way you don't have to cut in your hull.
Greetz, Johan

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 05:42:43 am »

... thanks Mankster - sounds like its trial and error (and practice) probably then - as you say, to try to make it look right. I'm only at the 'drilling and cutting millions of holes out in the hull pieces' stage at the moment! Cheers, Brian

Brian don't be a squib cut them all out it will look better when completed, when I was doing the type XX1 there were 585 holes drilled and filed to shape, hated it took almost a month, and mine was a fibreglass hull very thick, but now it's finishedI am glad I did them all...

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 05:45:58 am »

UBOATBUILDER

Dino the aging has come up a treat, if you come over here for a visit I will put you up for a couple of weeks and you can do mine, I have attempted it and it was terrible...

Roy

ambernblu

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 07:22:19 am »

Brian don't be a squib cut them all out it will look better when completed, when I was doing the type XX1 there were 585 holes drilled and filed to shape, hated it took almost a month, and mine was a fibreglass hull very thick, but now it's finished I am glad I did them all...

Roy, I intend doing all the hull flood holes - its the deck I was querying - get the feeling it may end up a bit flimsy being plastic if all the deck holes are cut out, but there's also a full etched deck option available (White Ensign?) Currently ruminating!  :D 

And thanks Johan, I'll give that some consideration... Cheers, Brian

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2006, 09:41:32 am »

Hi guys, Dino is my dad who also uses this forum username. My name's grant and I am building and painting it plus another two for my dad and my brother. Dad just thought you should know that it was actually me who has done it.  :). The PE deck is an option but someone told me that you will have to brace it because it wont be very strong.

And Thank You for all of your comments. :)

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2006, 06:38:46 pm »

Top work there Grant, even more impressive coming from someone so young.

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2006, 07:22:24 pm »

Hi, I need your opinions. On the conning tower there is a railing thingy that goes across the swordfish which kind of obscures it. I have left it off for now but do you think i should put it on :-\? You can see the holes where it should go. What do you think? ???

Grant

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2006, 07:28:04 pm »

Haye D & G, what if you paint it grey, and on the area that covers the swordfish paint red? This might work?

Voyager.

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2006, 07:30:08 pm »

That was the first thing i thought of but it still wouldnt look right, and the railing covers the  fish' eye and i cant paint that on the railing. It would look rubbish.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2006, 07:32:36 pm »

Then leave it off completely, would not notice from a distance anyway!

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2006, 07:39:31 pm »

ok, i probably will leave it but want to see what the general consensus is first. so keep the opinions coming!!!! ;D

ambernblu

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2006, 06:43:45 am »

Hi Grant... I noticed that 'dratted railing' section too, and it seems to have pushed the larger motifs on some of the other suggested sub finishes around to the front of the tower, which, to be honest, doesn't look so good!

Your swordfish on the other hand looks excellent where it is. So I would say, either leave it off altogether - or find a 'near' location for it if you must have it on the tower somewhere. Cheers, Brian

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2006, 10:12:31 am »

I suppose the simplest way would be leave it off at the moment see what it is like when you sail it, you can always attach it later..

Roy

magpie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Subs Rock
    • magpieyachts
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2006, 02:21:14 am »

Excellent weathering job and finish!!!!! :o
"Where's the sub gone?"
http://magpieyachts.com

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2006, 03:47:36 pm »

Thanks magpie.

Grant :)

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2006, 03:58:19 pm »

I've almost finished paint job No.2 (my dads one) THANK GOD! :) So 2 down, 1 to go. They do look good next to each other and three will be sooooo cool! 8) Might put pics of both on here at some point so you can see how the wolfpack is looking. That is if you want to see them. :) Still not started the wtc still waiting on parts from subtech. Trying to find batteries to fit that are going to give me AT LEAST 1hr - 90 mins run time.

Grant :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.