Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Boat kits for beginners  (Read 13828 times)

mkb09

Model Boat kits for beginners
« on: January 28, 2009, 04:36:01 pm »

Hi All,
I have just joined your great forum and learned a lot already.
I have just started my own blog on model boat kits (see below) but I am now beginning to realise that there are some serious professionals out there building amazing models. However, for beginners like me it's sometimes tricky to find good kits to start on. So I am trying to put together a site where they can find a good choice of reasonably priced models, get some advice and then move on to the more complex kits later on.
So, can anyone recommend some good beginners models, sites, or have any advice for beginners?
Thx in advance

Blog: http://modelboatkits.brighterplanet.org/

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Model Boat kits for beginners
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 04:46:31 pm »

Hi MKB

This topic comes up a lot.
Go to the top of the main page and search beginner models.

Also look at the build masterclasses. One of these is for a beginner model.

I hope your site will have a links page or some other reference to Model Boat Mayhem {-)

Good luck with the site. :-))
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 04:49:07 pm »

Also, what type of boats do you like, sports, warships, tugs, yachts etc?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

dan

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 06:04:42 pm »

hi mkb09,

my first model was the Al khubar Tug kit from the model slipway. www.modelslipway.com
i would recommend them to anyone, they are extremely friendly and helpful and have plenty of kits to chose from.

Capt. Spaulding

• Full Mayhemer
  • Hurray for Captain Spaulding, the African explorer
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 05:41:53 pm »

In my opinion, and experience, a beginner can have no better inroduction to the hobby than the Vac-U-Tug.

Here's the link: http://www.vac-u-boat.com/

The company is located in the state of Georgia, USA. I don't know details about shipping overseas, but it would be worth finding out.

Cheers,
Capt. Spaulding     

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 05:59:42 pm »

Model Slipway.

Great kits.

Great instructions.

Great drawings.

Comprehensive web site includes hints and tips and revies of builds.

Very helpful people.

www.modelslipway.com
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 07:57:29 pm »

Robbe Paula III - nearly everything on one box.
Matchbox / Revell - Corvette

Also, have a look at
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5226.0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Bee

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 02:28:04 pm »

Showing my age whenever this sort of subject comes up I think of my beginning - balsa kielkraft or veron kits. Everyone else seems to relate "kit" to £200+ readyformed plastic and fibreglass offerings.
Now the magazines do have these bottom level designs but as there seems to be a fear or lack of supply for the absolute novice buying plain sheets of balsa I think the old style kits need reviving.
In Amateur electronics there are beginners kits from Velleman via maplins, in aeromodelling the old style rubber powered model kits are available again, but model boats are either instant plastic or big and expensive.

FullLeatherJacket

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 02:38:06 pm »

Showing my age whenever this sort of subject comes up I think of my beginning - balsa kielkraft or veron kits. Everyone else seems to relate "kit" to £200+ readyformed plastic and fibreglass offerings.
Now the magazines do have these bottom level designs but as there seems to be a fear or lack of supply for the absolute novice buying plain sheets of balsa I think the old style kits need reviving.
In Amateur electronics there are beginners kits from Velleman via maplins, in aeromodelling the old style rubber powered model kits are available again, but model boats are either instant plastic or big and expensive.

I agree. Mind you, the old KK EeZeBilt kits were intended for children, not adults. That said, they were a marvelous way to get a child interested. The EeZeBilt build system meant that even a hamfisted kid could make a boat shape, WITHOUT adult help. That was what got us interested.

By the way, does anyone know anything about the history of those boats? I looked on the web, and found nothing about them at all, beyond Ebay sales. So I have put up what I know (not much!) on a little web page at http://modelboats.hobby-site.com. Any comments gratefully received on this thread, cos it's not finished yet...

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 05:40:03 pm »

As an alternative, maybe try one of Glynn Guest's designs from Model Boats magazine. Not a kit but attractive, simple to build, cheap and perform well. And the instructions are as comprehensive as anyone could wish for.

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 05:55:32 pm »

Good call Colin.
There are many simple plans published in Model Boats magazine.

kiwi

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 08:40:00 pm »

Hi dodgy geezer,
checked out your little wed-page.
Brilliant, make sure you finish it off. These kits, Keil-Kraft and Veron where what I was brought up on as a kid. Pity they are not around anymore. I to would like to know who designed them, so I could thank them for their efforts.
A couple of years ago I learned that Phil Smith the designer of the Veron rubber-powered aircraft kits was still around (over 90 and still flying) and selling the plans for only a few pounds. I wrote him, ordered most of the range and thanked him for the many hours of enjoyment I had as a result of building these little flyers when a little kid of around 7 years. Wish I could have done the same for the designer of the boats I built back then
vnkiwi

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 08:41:34 pm »

My EzBuild version of the Triton, built a (well a while ago) used at the 80th Model Engineer exxhibition to demo straight running on the small pool they had.  
 :-)) :-))
Steamed up all the time
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.