Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Shopping mall show  (Read 5644 times)

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
Shopping mall show
« on: February 01, 2009, 12:15:26 am »

Our club did our regular, at least once a year, shopping mall static show today. We do this to bring the hobby closer to the public. Since the water is a little on the stiff side outside this year, and shopping malls don't have ponds in them anymore (they used to), we have to opt for a static show. I'm going to put up some pics of some of the boats our group (Kawartha Marine Modelers) do. You'll see some of the members of this Mayhem group in the pics, including at least one vessel on a build thread.
 The first pic up is of three of our group who are members of this forum. In the picture below, from left to right, ggeorge (Gerry George). yours truly oldiron, standing (John Vincent), dreadnought, seated(Dan Woodward).
  The next picture is of Gerry and his TID tug. You can find it on a build thread.

John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Shopping mall show
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 12:20:20 am »

Next on the list is Dan Woodward's (dreadnought) exquisite modeling. Shots including the progress on his Dreadnought (see the build thread) and his US WWII destroyer DD488.
 Bert Caswell, another new Mayhem member is seated between Gerry and Dan in the picture.

John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 12:21:42 am »

US destroyer DD488

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 12:24:31 am »

Phil Dewsnap came out with his scratch built powered ram USS Katatydin.

John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 12:28:23 am »

cont:  USS Katatydin

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 12:31:59 am »

Tibor Pal managed to come along with his large size Hood. She is completely scratch built. The gun turrets turn and have firing sound, all lights work, stacks smoke and there's probably a bunch of other things it does I can't think of.

John

Capt Podge

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 12:33:12 am »

Hi Oldiron,

I like the idea of using a shopping mall to promote the hobby - does the club have to pay a fee for the use of the space ?

Is that your Neddy above the Maple Leaf in the second photo ?

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 12:33:15 am »

cont:  Hood

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 12:37:03 am »

Hi Oldiron,

I like the idea of using a shopping mall to promote the hobby - does the club have to pay a fee for the use of the space ?

Is that your Neddy above the Maple Leaf in the second photo ?

We've used this mall for quite a few years. The mall doesn't charge us, but we do have to show proof of insurance, which we carry anyway. They even supply tables and chairs free. This year was one of the best turnouts of the public we've ever had. Don't why, maybe because its -25C outside and the public find it better to walk the mall in this weather.
  No, my Neddy is to the right of Dan Woodward's shoulder in the same pic.

John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 12:39:56 am »

Another Mayhem member is Burt Caswell. Burt is new to the forum, but an old hand at excellent modeling. He brought out the Smit Nederland and a Clyde Puffer.

John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 12:44:24 am »

Tony Burrell brought out two of his creations. They are both based on the Dumas "Brooklyn". The vessel on the left is built as the kit suggests, however, the one on the right uses the "Brooklyn" hull, but has been built as a paddle tug complete with feathering paddles. Although a freelance design, its based on traditional paddle tug practice. The bridge shot is from the paddle tug.

John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 12:46:05 am »

Some general shots of other vessels on the tables are below.

John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 12:51:00 am »

Cap't Podge:

I put this shot in of my two vessels at the show. The Neddy under construction in the foreground and my SS Master behind.
John

Capt Podge

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 01:00:19 am »

Thanks Oldiron,

There's some fine looking models you guys have got there and I like the idea of including some still under construction - it might provide some inspiration to "would be" modellers to "have a go" and mebbe encourage them to join a club.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 01:40:23 am »

Great Models
Great initiative
And Great pics

Thanks for posting.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2009, 03:03:24 am »

thanks very much. The guys appreciate it.

John

tonysmoke

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2009, 08:49:39 am »

great show you must all be very proud , great boats, how do you live with that cold, here in jersey channel islands it only drops to -1or2 regards tony,
t le b

barryfoote

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2009, 08:58:03 am »

There are some truly magnificent models there. A real credit to all the builders. I particularly like that USS Katatydin. A very unusual subject, beautifully built.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2009, 09:08:36 am »

Some exceptional modelling there, museum quality. You fellows know how to bring boat modelling to the public, well done all of you. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))
..well can you land on this?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2009, 09:47:54 am »

Superb models and great pictures. Thanks for sharing them John. You and your friends are to be congratulated.

The idea of having the show in a shopping mall is an excellent one, brings the models to the attention of people who would never have considered going to a paying exhibition. Some food for thought there for us in the UK.

Colin

barryfoote

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2009, 10:20:03 am »

Colin,

Can you think of any shopping cetre in the Uk where the models would not be wrecked by the yobs???Or am I just being a synic??

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2009, 10:26:03 am »

The big malls have their own security staff and some of them already have shows and exhibitions of various kinds. They are often used to promote the latest car launches etc. I think it would be feasible if the venue is carefully chosen and properly organised. Obviously it would have to be manned all the time.

Colin

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2009, 10:27:15 am »

great show you must all be very proud , great boats, how do you live with that cold, here in jersey channel islands it only drops to -1or2 regards tony,

Thanks very much for the comments. Putting up with the cold is , as they say, part of being Canadian. That said, I've had enough by now,  we've had snow since November this year.

John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2009, 10:35:16 am »

The big malls have their own security staff and some of them already have shows and exhibitions of various kinds. They are often used to promote the latest car launches etc. I think it would be feasible if the venue is carefully chosen and properly organised. Obviously it would have to be manned all the time.

Colin

To start with, I'd like to thank all viewers for their kind comments on the vessels. For some reason this area is blessed with some exceptional modelers. Modelers who don't mind sharing what they do and how they do it.
  As to mall shows, they are quite common here. That is not only from the model boat point of view, but by various service clubs, car dealers displaying their various wares, and full blown antique show and sales from time to time. The particular mall we display in is not a large one, but it is the largest in our town and we don't have any hired security. We always make sure someone is present at the tables, but apart from the odd child being "touchy feely" with the models once in a while we have never had any problems.
  We've done it long enough that this mall knows to expect us a certain times of the year (winter), and tries to accommodate us withe the spot we want. They even advertise the event on the marquee at the entrance to the mall from the street.  Works well for us.

John

ian kennedy

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2009, 12:27:43 am »

Hi John,

excellent stuff......I  hav a favour to ask you sir, I don't suppose you have an email address or postal contact details for Phil Dewsnap please, i am in the process of finishing a wooden plug for a GRP mould to build the USS Katahadin using the original builders drawings/blue prints. Phils model looks stunning and at a guess built to 1/48th scale?

I would like to know where he got his information from and if he would consider pointing me in the right direction, my model is 1/48th scale and will be steam powered, i have built HMS Polyphemus to the same scale as she was a similar design concept, a torpedo armed harbour defence ram.

Many thanks (hopefully)

ian
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.