Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 12v 12ah batteries  (Read 6592 times)

northsider1

12v 12ah batteries
« on: February 03, 2009, 01:53:52 pm »

HI EVERYONE, I'M NEW TO THIS SITE SO NOT SURE WHERE TO POST THIS QUESTION SO I THOUGHT I WOULD START HERE.
IN THE PAST I HAVE ONLY PURCHASED THE ODD ONE OR TWO PRE-BUILT BOATS JUST TO SEE IF THIS NEW HOBBY WOULD INTEREST ME. AFTER ABOUT 12 MONTHS I DECIDED TO BUILD A PAIR OF WORKING TUGS (IRON SIDER) & (NORTH SIDER) THESE WERE KITS THAT WERE  70% COMPLETE. I HAVE HAD A BREAK FROM BOATS TO PERSUE OTHER HOBBIES BUT NOW AFTER 12 MONTHS I AM BUILDING A BAIT BOAT FOR FISHING IT WILL BE POWERED BY 2x 12V BILGE PUMPS. THE QUESTION I WANT TO ASK IS WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A 12v 7ah   and a 12v 12ah BATTERY ? SORRY IF THIS SEEMS A BIT OF A DAFT QUESTION BUT I'M STILL LEARNING ABOUT THESE THINGS.

MANY THANKS

andyn

Re: 12v 12ah batteries
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 02:10:24 pm »

The ah rating is the capacity of the battery, and usually with SLA batteries the size too, as more cells are needed within the battery to make up the capacity, so your 7ah battery is 7000mah, and your 12ah is 12000 mah, so the bigger battery has 5000mah more. The bigger the number on the same voltage, the longer the battery will last.

Hope this helps :-))

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 02:34:56 pm »

Another simple way of looking at it:   If a motor draws 1 Amp when running, a 7Ah battery will keep it going for about 7 hours, a 12 Ah for about 12 hours.  Hope I haven`t tried to oversimplify it.   Pete M
I`m not just old, I`m ancient

northsider1

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 04:21:25 pm »

THANKS  andyn AND Peterm    :-)) :-)) YOU COULD NOT HAVE MADE IT EASIER FOR ME. SIMPLE REALLY WHEN YOU PUT IT LIKE THAT.
NOT SURE WHAT BATTERIES TO GO FOR YET, THE ONLY DOWN FALL WITH THE 12ah IS THE SIZE. I MUST FIND OUT WHAT  AMPS THE MOTORS DRAW. ALL I KNOW IS THAT THEY CALL FOR A 6amp FUSE

THANKS FOR THE HELP

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 05:04:50 pm »

Northsider,

You have also found that the capacity 12AH and 7AH comes from lead so the weight of a 12AH will be (almost exactly) 12/7ths more than a 7AH battery!

Please tell us what the motors are - there are many very knowledgeable folk who will know them and be able to give you chapter and verse.  Also it is actually the prop(s) that take the current - ideally it helps to know the prop size and boat speed as well to estimate the actual current draw "on the water"

As an aside, I and many others  are dyslexic, and have a lot of trouble reading capitals, so would you please try and post in lower case.  Some people also consider it to be the equivalent of shouting

regards
andrew

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 05:57:55 pm »

Right then now Batts this is very simple really as most bait boats run on 12v7amp batts.All the Angling technics range do so anyway and they run bilge pumps.Just to put things into perspective here the 12v 7amp batt weighs in at 2.1 kg and the 12/12 weighs 3.7kg so it would have to be quite a large hull to accomodate this,as a Carp and Pike angler myself I would not like to have to carry a 12/12 around but a 12/7 will fit into your pocket!!!!!!!!!!!
You should get around 6 runs with a fully loaded hopper of around 1kg of bait at a raneg of 300mtrs before they will need charging.BUT you will only need around a pva bag of bait anyway as most carp in the uk let alone France etc will shy away from large beds of bait...................bean there had the tee shirt

Stav

northsider1

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 07:14:13 pm »

Thanks one and all for your help  :-))  The motors i am using are a pair of 1100 gph bilge pumps and have just found the equivalent on the internet. they draw 4 amps. I have all the electrics sorted, steering will be achieved with the bilge pumps.

Stavros: This thing is a bit of a beast and i wouldn't want too carry it very far either but I'm lucky enough to be able to get the car up to the waters edge. It will have 2 hoppers each capable of carrying 2kg each (not that i would put that much bait down) It's powered by 2x 1100gph bilge pumps also decided to fit a sonar just for the hell of it. This is really a winter project intended for occasional use also i just wanted to build something from scratch. It is now about 75% built. Being built from scratch and out of fibreglass i have had to make a plug to make a mould to make the boat, so it's a Lenthy process. Don't know how it's going to perform, time will tell, but I'm having some fun building it.   Thanks for your help.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.