Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Model Boats Magazine - Website & forum  (Read 84494 times)

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Model Boats Magazine - Website & forum
« Reply #200 on: July 26, 2012, 06:27:34 pm »

The two Smeed resurrections would be good value if the original plan prices were charged. 5/- and 5 and 6d - - 25p and 27 1/2p  :}
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #201 on: July 26, 2012, 06:36:32 pm »

The two Smeed resurrections would be good value if the original plan prices were charged. 5/- and 5 and 6d - - 25p and 27 1/2p

And we were all still earning around £400 per annum!

Glad you liked the last two Tony, I hope this one will live up to expectations. I'm still cross eyed from inserting metric equivalents to original dimensions !

Colin

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #202 on: August 30, 2012, 07:24:37 pm »

I have been talked into editing another Special issue of Model Boats for 2012.  %%

The republishing of classic articles from the past proved to be very popular in the last two Special issues so this time we have devoted almost all of the issue to mining the extensive Model Boats archives to bring readers a selection of some of the very best plan features published over the last 50 years or so. They cover all types of scale models so there is something for modellers of all abilities. They may be oldies but they are certainly still goldies and were written by top class modellers who still have a lot to share in terms of techniques, skills and craftmanship. Moreover, you can buy hulls for many of them if you would prefer the fast track route to completion. And of course there are far more fittings available off the shelf now compared to when these designs orignally appeared.

We are also including a full size free plan of HMS Sheffield, one of Glynn Guest's most impressive projects, yet still well within the ability of the average modeller.

Many current readers will be unfamiliar with much of the material, while those who may remember it will welcome seeing it again and may be prompted to have a go at projects that they would never have attempted when they first appeared!

As a bonus, we are including a full listing of the MHS Model Boat Plan and Hull range although you will need to go online for more detailed descriptions.

The cover and contents page of the Plan Features Special issue can be seen here: http://www.modelboats.co.uk/news/article/model-boats-plan-feature-special-2012/12747

The Special issue can be pre ordered now using the above link and will be on sale at most branches of W.H. Smith only at the end of August.

Colin

Was passing Smiths at the Trafford centre Today and thought I would see if it was out, and was pleasantly surprised to see that it was, saves me an extra trip on the Friday.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #203 on: August 30, 2012, 09:11:43 pm »

Thank you for the  'heads up'   :-))

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #204 on: September 03, 2012, 03:37:54 pm »

Went to my local WH Smiths to get it but they didn't have it :( don't fancy paying the extra for postage!

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #205 on: September 03, 2012, 03:47:42 pm »

I'm still cross eyed from inserting metric equivalents to original dimensions
      Why fix it if it ain't broke Colin
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

wbeedie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #206 on: September 08, 2012, 06:05:13 pm »

Had to order my copy online as no WH Smith within 120 miles on thursday , arrived today (Saturday) and couldnt believe my eyes , the dispatchers deserve a special mentiuon as most items on line I have to wait a week for due to where I stay (Isle of Skye) Well done all :-))

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #207 on: July 16, 2013, 05:20:37 pm »

Although the 'official' publication date is 26th July, this year's Model Boats Special is now in the shops and has been sent to those who pre ordered it.
Colin

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #208 on: July 16, 2013, 05:32:59 pm »

Dont tell anyone but I got mine at WH Smith on Sunday. Loved the old covers in the back, would make great re-prints big enough to frame, just a thought...
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #209 on: July 16, 2013, 05:37:05 pm »

A lot of the original paintings got thrown out apparently - would you believe it! Previous Editor John Cundell says that Vic Smeed had a couple of them framed and that he has the original of the Sun Tug painting himself. When you look at them closely they were indeed real works of art, and Laurie also did a lot of racing car subjects as well when the magazine had car content.

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #210 on: July 16, 2013, 05:56:39 pm »

Must get me a copy.  :-))

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #211 on: July 16, 2013, 06:13:02 pm »

A lot of the original paintings got thrown out apparently - would you believe it! Previous Editor John Cundell says that Vic Smeed had a couple of them framed and that he has the original of the Sun Tug painting himself. When you look at them closely they were indeed real works of art, and Laurie also did a lot of racing car subjects as well when the magazine had car content.

Colin

I suppose they were considered cover of the month only, not some great works of art. I like the basic colours used. I assume imposed by the printing restrictions or costs of the day. Its a pity we couldn't have a 'Special' with one of those old covers, it would get passed by on the shelves of WH Smith without a second glance...
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #212 on: July 16, 2013, 08:59:56 pm »

Could someone with the magazine tell me what the 'Tramp Steamer' plan is please, I can't quite make it out fom the image? Ta! :((

Andy
How much wood would a Woodchuck chuck, if a Woodchuck would chuck wood?

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
Re: Re: Model Boats Magazine - Website & forum
« Reply #213 on: July 18, 2013, 11:16:16 am »

Could someone with the magazine tell me what the 'Tramp Steamer' plan is please, I can't quite make it out fom the image? Ta! :((

Andy
It's the SS Balboa which is a Glynn Guest plan from 1990.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.