Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Tug Motors  (Read 10027 times)

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
Tug Motors
« on: October 01, 2006, 04:35:54 pm »

I think we should have a discusion on motors suitable for tugs, there are a lot of people who want more information, and don't know what to use or where to get it.

I would rate Bryan Ward at Mobile Marine Models as an authority on this subject.

I have seen Alistar from Model Moters Direct at shows and he has some good stuff, but I don't have user experience of his motors, so any one who has some answers lets get posting.

My friend has the 545-12's in his boat but they get VERY!!! hot and burn out, by hot I mean melting solder hot.

I love the Bosch motors I had from Bryan Ward, they will pull flat out swinging a 70mm prop in a nozzle for ages with out getting hot, mine is only just slightly warm to touch after a good hard tow.
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Tug Motors
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 01:37:52 am »

Model Motors Direct sell motors ideal for tugs, they are mostly slowish running with low current consumption.
Ideal for swinging a big prop.
Model Slipway sell motors/gearboxes for tugs, and Mobile marine odels sell motors for tugs.
Spoiled for choice really.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 07:46:53 pm »

Ok, lets have some more posts on what motors skippers are using, I think of particular interest is any thing from a salvage yard,ie car fan motors, windscreen wiper motors. what you use and what you think of it, lets make this a directory for model  builders.

Adzam

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 09:47:44 pm »

i have a MMM eldergarth hull ( still in the process of assembly) running two robbe power 1000`s via  65mm 5 blade props,

good power, not measured it as yet but they are very low current drain and form the time i have run it, very little heat given off.however they are expensive .

possibly slightly undergeared as they are really meant for turning a much larger prop , 1 motorturning a  105mm prop in the robbe odin,
i also have a cooling duct  fan system allowing fresh air to circulate the hull, helping keep all electrics and motors cooler.
i wasn`t overly impressed with two blower motors i was sold with the hull, bueatifully smooth and quiet , but  very little torque. i do know MMM have a large range of motors and i think these where teh entry level blower motors.

i think some experimentation might still be req`d with props for ideal power/consumption of motors

ministeve

• Full Mayhemer
  • washing the decks!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 10:03:58 pm »

i use blower motors from a mini or metro radiator fan in my old portgarth but have come across some motors out of the brand new astra cabin heater blower that are monsters i have put one in a norton cross that was good but didnt tow very well for my likeing but with new motors its got plenty of power and is a great tower now . ive put tow of these motors in an afon alaw hull and is one of the most powerfull hulls that we see on our rounds at the moment runing 70mm thruster props from prop shop and mobile marine steerable nozzles havent done bollared test yet but will positively pull you out of bed i also use 540 12v motors for my bow thrusters and believe me you can physically dock a 14ft tanker with them. i use cctv camera lense motors for my radar and woolworth battery screwdriver (£5.00) for my winches will try and put a few pics with this post

ministeve

• Full Mayhemer
  • washing the decks!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 10:06:43 pm »

hears a couple of the bow thrusters i make hope you like

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 01:48:30 pm »

Well overpowered, I like the turn under power. My Nangee has single Kort with 70mm prop shop prop and a Mobile marine models bosch motor and shows similar characteristics at speed, I have my radio EPA down to 40 percent, to look reasonable when towing.
I have been thinking of an Afon Alaw, but the low freeboard is putting me off, at the moment the Portgarth is 65-35 favourite. Just like something with a bit more space inside than the Nangee, with out going to big to fit in the car!!What batteries have you in the Afon Alaw? just to give me an idea of carrying capacity.

ministeve

• Full Mayhemer
  • washing the decks!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 08:09:51 pm »

yes overpowered but very gentle when it wants to be, i use two 12v 12amp batts or three 12v 7amp. Ive just sold a portgarth and purchased another new portgarth hull from Brian its a good hull thats the reason for buying another, but the afon tows better and is shorter which is a benefit when towing but the portgarth looks better and can be built as a fair few other tugs. another good towing single nozzle boat is the norton cross i've had one towing for a few years now and am doing well with her.

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 09:44:49 pm »

Thanks for the reply, wanted to know battery size because it gives me a good idea of the displacement. My Nangee has two 12v 3.5A/hr, I have just enough displacement left to fit an old smokey to give exhaust smoke. I also have a 10cm speaker in the boat for the jjc sound.
Portgarth is my favourite at the moment, but I will build it as Smit Owena or similar.
I'd like to do some tow competitons with my Nangee, she tows well with single steering nozzle. A few of us are trying to get some towing comps sorted in South Wales, we don't mind travelling, we just want a go!!

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 10:19:25 pm »

Hi Andy
There is I beleive a new version of NANGEE on the cards...
It will be called NANTOO ...
It is to be a top boat for tug towing so we were told at the Ellesmere Port Tug Towing Competition...
Ask Brian about it ...It might be worth the wait for one of these hulls...

...Regards...Norry...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

ministeve

• Full Mayhemer
  • washing the decks!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 10:36:15 pm »

hi andywright may be a bit far and short notice for you but fetherstone club is haveing a tug tow this sunday towing starts at about 10.30 its always a great day towing at one of the best lakes for boats wanting to tow have a look at the photos

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 07:58:21 pm »

Hi norry,
Yes Bryan was telling me the other day about the Nantoo, and he was pleased that he had got the drawings for the Eurogirl wheelhouse. Might wait to see the Nantoo, Like my Nangee but if I had two of the motors I have in it now I wouldn't get the battery power in (too heavy!!). Like the portgarth, but its that much bigger for transporting.

Andy

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 07:59:53 pm »

Hi ministeve,
Is Featherstone where I think it is way North.
Andy

Red_Hamish

• Full Mayhemer
  • Have a wee dram and enjoy life
    • Edinburgh Model Boat Club
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 08:14:43 pm »

Or Andy, it could even be way way south depending on where you start from LOL  ;D

cheers

Jim

p.s. fighting with Davie Tait and the polar bears for the fish .  :D
Visit www.paddleducks.co.uk & www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org.uk for all your model boating needs!
See what life is all about www.visitshetland.com/sumburgh-airport-live-video This is the pace of life that the doctors prescribe, so laid back that you

norry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006, 08:22:07 pm »

..Andy...
The Featherstone Club have a purpose built pond at Balne Moor in West Yorkshire...
Its very close to the  M62 /  A1  Junction...near a place called Pollington...Goole is nearby also...
You can get the full address from the Model Power Boat Association,s Web Site...
My mate Billy & I are travelling down from Glasgow in Scotland for the event...
Its a really good day out...

...Regards...Norry...

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2006, 09:56:48 pm »

love to go but thats about 5 hours drive for me. Maybe next time.

Aston

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2006, 10:34:04 pm »

Norry,  I will be at Featherstone on Sunday too - another face to add to a name !

Aston

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2006, 08:14:42 am »

Andy,

My boat is 5 foot long and I am using 4 Graupner 6041 12v motors, in schottel drive 3 blade 40 mm props on all four drives, powered by 2 12v 7 ah sla batteries, runs for quite a while and pulls quite well....

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

norry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2006, 05:45:37 pm »

Hi Aston...[/b
]I will be the one with a bulbous bow up my Royal Blue Largs M.B.C.  jumper.
I will probably be walking around with my eyes closed as I am going to be singing  till about 2 am   Then all the gear to strip down &  pack away in the car then the 40 minute drive home then unload all the gear into the store then a shower & bed...Should manage at least 2 hours sleep before we head off at 6am for Featherstone...

But its still worth it...See you Tomorrow or Today or whatever day it is...

Regards...Norry...

mv1

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2006, 09:59:47 am »

I am using 2 Graupner 900 High Torque motors in my scratch built 1/24th scale tug boat ' le caux'

Its 49" long and 11' beam, weighs 55lb ish all up and they spin 95mm 4 bladed brass props from 'prop shop'

I find they are great for power but they have to have continuous cooling via cooling coils and 2 pumps running all the time.

I am looking to possibly use a couple of wheelchair motors or gear the Graupner ones down in the future to over come the heating problem.

Mark V

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2006, 01:37:17 pm »

You should try the type 8 motors from Mobile Marine models, I have the smaller ones which drive upto 90mm prop, they barely get warm even after a hard flat out tow. Now I know how much power I have I never use full wack anyway, so the motors don't even feel it.
I believe the Graupner 900's are very good, its just the size of props you are turning, maybe gearing will help so long as you still get the revs.

BlazingPenguin

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2006, 12:47:41 pm »

Have to vouch 100% on Steves 'Mersey' pattern bow thruster!
Once you get your head around the layout, its pretty simple. Only mod Ive made to the design is to have a straight coupling to match motor/drive shaft diameter...saves a valuable few mm! Also found out that it will cavitate big time if you launch straight to full on via a battery when testing, emptying the sink up the wall in the process, Steve assures me this is normal and doesnt happen when using speed control.
I can also attest to the bollard pull of his motors...my hand still has the redness where the tow rope wrapped right in! The thrust from the bow thruster isnt too shabby either!

Another tip?
I was struggling to find fine enough sand for sprinkling on a deck for that scale look, a visit to 'Toys-R-Us' turned up bags of sand for kiddies sand pits....very fine, clean and salt free!

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2006, 10:38:08 pm »

Hi everyone

As a newcomer to tugs ( I'm building the Aziz at the moment), I was wondering what forces were obtained from a bollard pull.

Does this mean tying the boat to a fixed object via some tension scales and measuring the force of the pull ?  If so , then what are the typical forces involved ?  Would this rip a boat apart ?

Just wondering  :)

Cheers....Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2006, 09:31:04 pm »

Thats about it Ken,I guess if you have 3-4lb plus you have good bollard pull, never checked mine, have to get a spring balance.

Tug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2007, 10:09:06 pm »

My big tug [must sort out some pictures soon] has a 30 volt rated at 3 amps running a 46" + length  wide tug very well on 24 volts
[two 12x7 amp batteries] big speaker, and lead melted into tobacco tins labled from 2 lb to 3.6 lb these have colour coded blocks set within the hull to make it possibal to lift the boat out of the water. after removing ballast

My present build is a 36" Sun Tug on 12 volts with an 800 MFA motor for now, I like the black motors/ex equipment motors, plenty of room for them and you will not burst them, [and its all required ballast]

I have a 6" round motor 2" deep with more poles than there are in 'china' got away with that one' just might put that in a motor yacht I still have awaiting un-boxing,
The Joffre has a Kestrel motor in it and at 6 volts is super.must try this picture lark. might be back......

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three
 weeks before you need it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 23 queries.