Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Powerfull motors  (Read 2496 times)

destroyer42

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Powerfull motors
« on: April 14, 2009, 07:21:34 pm »

Dear,Colleagues,
What are the views of fellow Mayhemers in respect of good electric motors 12v or 24v to drive a 1/32 scale American towboat with 110mm Kort nozzles and 6mm shafts. I'm looking for power and torque. Any ideas?

Destroyer42

dan

Re: Powerfull motors
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 07:27:19 pm »

http://www.marksmodelbits.com/ - hers the place to get them, give Mark a ring and he'll sort you out  O0

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 07:44:39 pm »

I have just fitted one of Marks motors into a 49ins Perkassa and I have never seen one rise up out of the water like this one.Yes on 24v and if going this route you will need to water cool the motors which was Reccomended to me by Mark see this link

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=16387.0

Stav

hopeitfloats

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 09:50:38 am »

looks like it may be an interesting shop but it would be good to see a bit more information on his web site. hopefully it wont take too long to finish constructing it.

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 06:32:25 pm »

Graupner motors are designed for RC model use (not window motors, stairlift motors, drill motors etc etc) so therefore carry a warranty when bought new as they are being designed for that particular use. I know many people have had good results with these other motors, but that is probably trial and error.
Not had any personal experience of the MMB motors, I see Stavros has had a good result, but how heavy is your boat? On a light fibreglass hull most good motors will produce as good result and long run time anyway. The graupner motors can be run over the nominal voltage so you can play with your particular set up and use different battery packs, props etc as they are very robust. Its all a matter of personal preference really :-))

nick_75au

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 08:56:15 am »

Me thinks a gear drive would be appropriate here, say a 700 with a 6:1 or greater ratio such as
http://www.oztion.com.au/vshops/item.aspx?itemid=6223313&shopid=913
this is a 4:1 but if you email them they will be able to recommend and supply the correct unit.
As a different example, I run a single 100 mm prop direct drive on 24 volt using a 24 volt ex water pump motor from a full sized boat in a 2.5 times bigger Nexus Tide that's about 5 1/2 foot long and weighs 25 Kgs or so.
either a big slow revving motor or a smaller geared motor
Nick
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.