Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Linked Events

• Mayhem at Wicksteed III: May 23, 2009 - May 24, 2009
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Wicksteed 2009 - The Event!  (Read 77724 times)

MRZIPPYXXXX

Re: Wicksteed 2009 - The Event!
« Reply #175 on: May 29, 2009, 01:07:37 am »

Hi Mr Zippy Very nice Finnish on boat and it goes so well any chance of letting us know what motor and prop is in it and how long it is ,it goes so well, and how long do you get, I really like the decks.

thanks

Proteus

Hi Proteus,
Swordsman was built from 33" MAP plans modded to the open rear cockpit version used for racing,
the original MAP plans & 60's Aerokits Swordsmans had an aft rear cabin similar to the later Huntsman 31
(kit models of these are seen regularly at lakes all over the country).

The motor is a 4240 1050kv outrunner from Giant Cod £23, 2x6 cell 3300mah nimhs packs, Overlander 60amp speed controller,
the speed secret is the Huge 50mm 4 blade steam prop, revelled to me by Alan (Debs'nAl) who has posts re this subject on this website,
thanks again Al you saved my sanity.

Running times are around 10 mins flat out, but who runs flat out constantly, 15-20 mins general running,
the motor draws very little power, and times could be greatly improved by fitting the latest higher capacity nimh's.

The decks are Cherry planks with Ash caulking from Jotika, really good quality stuff, smooth as silk straight out of the bag,
i believe supplied to Marten Howes & Bayliss for their mega kits.

The finish is SP Systems model aircraft wing skinning expoxy, which is an absolute swine to use, I had to strip off my first attempt
and start all over again, the secret is to heat up the deck & expoxy, and recoat while the first coat is still tacky, avoids blooming.
Then it's hours of wetndrying with finer grades of paper, followed by TCutting & polishing, and if you are really lucky like me, painful Tennis Elbow.

The model was built purely as an experiment to test out the planking/finishing process for a future fully planked scale glossy Chris Craft build,
yes Swordsman looks pretty, but I am the first to admit it is in no-way shape or form the correct timber / finish or planking pattern.
The latter should be layed following the curve of the bulwark edges and joggled into a king plank on the foredeck all in oiled teak,
had to clarify that one before the 'rivet counting brigade' get their hobbyhorse saddled up!

Any other questions chaps please fire away,
also my inspiration has been 'Ramons' well written (unlike this) stunning build of the bigger Huntsman found on this website.
Regards Paul

Proteus

« Reply #176 on: May 29, 2009, 01:17:04 am »

thank you for that, just what I wanted.

Proteus

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #177 on: May 29, 2009, 02:41:27 pm »

Some of the Yachts and sailing vessels......
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #178 on: May 29, 2009, 02:47:27 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #179 on: May 29, 2009, 03:32:07 pm »

jviewing

« Reply #180 on: May 29, 2009, 05:45:27 pm »

Hi Question, for Stavros, why were there a pair of waders in the bin at Wickstead, could you not find the leak? Can I recycle them.
Best regards Jeremy

Stavros

« Reply #181 on: May 29, 2009, 07:06:30 pm »

Waders were ther simply because the neoprene had got porus and once it gets like that it is a bin job and if you have taken them out of the bin well good luck to you as be warned they have had it

Stav

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #182 on: May 29, 2009, 09:03:15 pm »

Straight running killed his waders-----be warned, we don't take prisoners, we'll get you  one way or another ok2 ok2 ok2
Steamed up all the time

Captain Povey

« Reply #183 on: May 30, 2009, 12:17:42 am »

Hi Martin, Great show and photos to prove it. It makes me even more disappointed that I was not there. I watched the slideshow on the homepage and think I saw saw a Deans Marine Pre Dreadnaught Battleship Majestic. Have you any more pictures of it as it looks fantastic and having finished the Mincio I am about to start the completion of one. It will be the biggest project I have undertaken to date so any advice from other builders would be appreciated. Cheers, Graham.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #184 on: May 30, 2009, 12:54:27 am »

Few more here:
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=17021.msg170488#msg170488

I have a more from a factory visit, let me know if you want them.

jviewing

« Reply #185 on: May 30, 2009, 03:47:44 am »

Thanks Stav, may come in useful for puncture repair kits.  Captain Povey the Deans Marine Pre Dreadnaught Majestic class Battleship is a model of HMS Mars built by Victorian, he has posts on this site and will probably post some Wickstead pictures when he see's this comment, if can download them at less than 5mb from his new camera.

Jeremy

victorian

« Reply #186 on: May 30, 2009, 05:00:17 pm »

Hello Capt. Povey. Here's Mars, Pelorus and Amazon together at Wicksteed (Amazon built by Mark Hawkins).

)

I'll post some more pics and some thoughts on the Deans kit when I get a moment - main thing is to decide which ship you are modelling because the kit represents Hannibal,  not Majestic or others which had important detail differences. I chose Mars because, so far as I know, there's no other model of her and I wanted a ship that was present at the Diamond Jubilee Review in July, 1897.

Captain Povey

« Reply #187 on: May 30, 2009, 07:41:33 pm »

Thanks for your quick responses Martin, Jeremy and Victorian. I am planning to finish building the kit as HMS Caesar as I see from my Grandfathers naval record that he served on her in 1909. Finding good picture detail is difficult and I think I read somewhere that the main gun turrets were a different shape allowing for easier loading. It is going to be quite a challenge but if I get a result anywhere near as good as you have I will be more than happy. She looks great. Cheers Graham.

victorian

« Reply #188 on: June 01, 2009, 04:59:51 pm »

Capt Povey

The kit will be a good representation of Caesar due to the abaft the bridge foremast and main deck torpedo net shelves. I can't comment on the gun turrets. There are some photos of Caesar here.

The Hannibal kit is an excellent source of fittings, etches, etc.. I got on well with the fibreglass superstructure after reducing it to a scale height. It's vital to get a truly snug and square fit between superstructure and deck and spent hours over that. I found that the printed bridge structure was too tall and made it all from scratch, especially as I was building a ship with the foremast running through the bridge. I didn't use the cast metal davits for durability reasons. Ditto the torpedo net booms. The masts are brass in my model with new platforms, steps and so on.

I would never have built Mars without the Deans kit and it's a major tribute to Ron Dean that people can today see Victorian battlehips and other vessels on our lakes and ponds. The commonest question I get asked is "what nationality is it?" because the glorious Victorian Navy has faded from collective conciousness.

It's a pity you are going for 1909 in grey but if my grandad had been there then I would do the same! There are pictures of sister ship Victorious in white at Beirut and it would be worth checking at the PRO (who should have her log books) where Caesar actually was in 1909. Pelorus was still painted in Victorian colours in 1914.

Here's a couple more pics:

Look forward to seeing Caesar on the water!

budlia

« Reply #189 on: June 01, 2009, 06:18:08 pm »

Hi Paul

I also have recently purchased the MAP 33" Swordsman plan and absolutely love it! but theres no detail for the glazing & frames to retain the glazing, yours looks very neat (with no adhesive on the glazing like I usually do). so please let me know what you used?

Captain Povey

« Reply #190 on: June 03, 2009, 08:23:31 am »

Thanks Victorian for your extra photos (she does look brilliant) and detailed reply which I am slowly digesting. I will reply in more detail in a personal message if thats ok otherwise this thread might become a bit disjointed. Cheers Graham.

MRZIPPYXXXX

« Reply #191 on: June 07, 2009, 04:20:49 pm »

Hi Paul

I also have recently purchased the MAP 33" Swordsman plan and absolutely love it! but theres no detail for the glazing & frames to retain the glazing, yours looks very neat (with no adhesive on the glazing like I usually do). so please let me know what you used?
Hi Budlia,
Apologies for the late reply, have been away on hols this past week, re the glazing etc - I used 1/8th Liteply cabin sides, 1/8th perspex for the glass,
thin Plasticard (sprayed silver) for the window frames.  System used was to flush fit the perspex into finished painted cabin sides, then glue the silver frames on top,
with the cabin to glass joint line running underneath the 3mm wide window frames. Hence no visible join, all glued with Revell Contacta plastic cement
in the nifty pack with the very fine (1mm approx) metal tube applicator spout. Trying to be as carefull as poss I managed to get glue on the glass !
The original Fairey windows we are trying to replicate would have been chromed held in place by hundreds of small screws at regular spaced (4 inch guessing) centres
all around the frames, must have been a nightmare to fit on the fullsize boat, again see Ramons very informative Huntsman build on this website.
Regards Paul

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #192 on: June 07, 2009, 05:29:15 pm »

Warship & Subs as requested...

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #193 on: June 07, 2009, 05:30:17 pm »

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #194 on: June 07, 2009, 05:31:30 pm »

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #195 on: June 07, 2009, 05:32:59 pm »

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #196 on: June 07, 2009, 05:35:15 pm »

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #197 on: June 07, 2009, 05:38:56 pm »

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #198 on: June 07, 2009, 05:41:17 pm »

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #199 on: June 07, 2009, 05:43:20 pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.