Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Paint Finish  (Read 10079 times)

Tralee

• Full Mayhemer
Paint Finish
« on: October 18, 2006, 10:20:03 am »

As I am new to modelling i would like some advice on painting an ABS model.
I am in the process of constructing a Robbe Najade model and enquireas to whether or not this ABS hull requires and undercoat before the final coat of paint. Any help from fellow modellers would be appreciated

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Paint Finish
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 01:56:01 pm »

You will need a primer.
I assume you will be using acrylic paints. There is another thread on here about paints and Halfords cans seem to be a favourite choice.

You should also key the hull the sandpaper to help the paint stick.
320 grad sandpaper should do it.

But I am sure you will get a wealth of advice on here, try trawling throught some of the other threads as well.

Good luck :)
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 11:15:22 pm »

Right it is quite simple really,go down to your friendly local motor factors that sell AUTOMOTIVE paint to the body shops,such as Brown Brothers or Partco and ask for a plastic adhesion promoter 3M do an excellent on as does Body line,these products are available in aerosol form and are used by body shops prior to spraying bumpers and plastic panels.All you do with the stuff is simple spray on 1 coat,leave to dry,DO NOT RUB DOWN,then spray on as many coats of primer as necessary,rub down primer with 180grit wet dry following up with 400 then 600 and spray as many top coats as necessary.whilst you are at the motor factors buy some panel wipe,this is used to degrease the model,wipe on wipe off simple as that,ah ha I hear you say a gallon!!!! yes it will last for years and is handy for all forms of degreasing,also buy some TAC rags for getting rid of the dust on the model(used by professional paint sprayers prior to any application of any paint ;)).

It is well wotrh getting all this stuff before starting to rub down your model,as it is well advised to degrease with panel wipe prior to rubbing down as the last thing you need is to rub in any grease into the plastic,rub the hull down with 600 no coarser prior to the application of the adhesion promoter etc,if you need any more info just either post it or PM me.I do know what I am talking about due to the fact that I am a professional paint sprayer.
Stavros.

Information is free,actual work is not

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 11:19:58 pm »

Stavros, just out of interest:
A standard primer doesn`t make any sense? It has to be a plastic adhesion promoter?

Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 11:27:36 pm »

Admiral
Made sense to me, sir. Maybe read it again tomorrow? :-\ Meanwhile, big thanks to Stavros for info; this one gets archived 8).

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 11:55:43 pm »

White Ensign read the post it is as I have said Adhesion promoter first,primer second,it does not have to be plastic primer,as you have allready applied a promoter,Any primer will do.If you all use this system you will be amazed by the finish you will get.The promoter will allow the primer to lie smoother on the surface believe you me,if you do not believe me I think it was shipmate 60 who took my advise,someone out there did and was very impressed.Believe you me IT WORKS,hundreds of body shops cant be wrong or can they

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 07:24:45 am »

Hi Stavros- sorry, looks like we have crossed our wires- now I`m with you.

O.k- will go for that as my son wants to spray his boat next week. Though I am glad for any advice in that way as I never use to work with plastics...  :P

Thankyou.
Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

MTB

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 09:00:00 am »

Stavros would you also use this system on styrene plastic kits as well? :-\
Roy

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 10:16:29 am »

depends what colour you need but if its a bright gloss try international japlac its for plastic as well as wood and metal and ive found it doesnt need any primer .it covers great and adheres well to plastic but it only comes in gloss so its ok for speed boats yaghts etc.its also easy to apply with a brush and leaves no brush marks ,does what it says on the tin!!.

Stavros

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 09:39:26 pm »

MTB I would use this system on any plastic as the 3m adhesion promote ris the dog's whatsits!!!!!!
White Ensign ;) :D :D :DNO PROBS

laserblue16

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 12:09:21 am »

My mate is a sprayer, well thats a nice little job for him this weekend. ;D

Stavros

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 02:45:50 pm »

laserblue make sure he does not put the oven on bake after spraying emphasise that to him

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 03:50:05 pm »

Stavros,

Correct me if i'm wrong but the plastic promoter, does it not also bind the paint to the plastic so it will not crack or peel off...

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Stavros

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 05:08:04 pm »

cbr900 10/10 that is exactly what it does go to the top of the class and don't pass go ;)

MTB

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 08:14:17 pm »

MTB I would use this system on any plastic as the 3m adhesion promote ris the dog's whatsits!!!!!!

Good stuff then Stavros. :)  I'm restoring a plastic Robbe "Wotan" hull at the moment. Would a coat of this also benefit a previously painted hull that appears to have NOT been primed (black gloss coat coming off in a couple of places). I think I will take it back to a bare finish and start again at around 400 or 600 grit? :-\
Thanks for your help

Roy(London)

Stavros

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2006, 11:16:53 pm »

MTB yes do it take all the paint off with 180 grit,yes I know it leaves scratches 3m adhesion promoter,primer 2to 3 coats to cover finish off with 600 wet dry,if rubbing down wet leave to dry off for at least 24hrs in warm place then paint with your final colour.You can also rub primer down dry but for goodness sake wear a mask and change your paper often

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2006, 11:29:45 pm »

Stavros,

You ought to write a piece for one of the modelling magazines. The practical advice you have on painting matters would be immensely useful to a lot of people.

Colin

Stavros

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2006, 11:45:01 pm »

I suppose i would do it if asked!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2006, 11:50:39 pm »

Stavros, I've sent you a PM.

Colin

MTB

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2006, 12:52:32 pm »

Stavros,

You ought to write a piece for one of the modelling magazines. The practical advice you have on painting matters would be immensely useful to a lot of people.

Colin

Excellent suggestion Colin.
Stavros I'm asking !!!  :-* :-*
Let us know where and when 'cause it's going to be a must. "The definitive article of model painting" by Stavros. (Can't wait) ::) ::) ::)

And why not put it on MBMayhem????????????????

Much thanks for your help Stavros

Roy (London)

Stavros

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2006, 09:33:16 pm »

Oh flippin eck my big mouth or in this case my little finger have got me into trouble again,I will start to write something for the model mags I will keep it on file so if it is not published it will appear here .Or do you want it here and not in the mags the choice is yours

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2006, 09:37:01 pm »

Stavros

Why not go for both (or are there copyright probs once offered to a mag) that way you should reach the widest possible audience and educate even more modellers :)

Happy scribbling

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2006, 10:05:27 pm »

Go for the mag Stavros. If it is published most people will read it anyway and you will get a few pennies in compensation.

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2006, 12:12:30 pm »

Stavros,

You being the author should have the authority to place it in any position as long as you let people know it appears in other publications...
Thats what happens over here anyway...

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2006, 12:17:31 pm »

I think you will find that magazines will require articles to be offered to them on an exclusive basis. However, once publication has taken place you are free to offer it elsewhere.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.