Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Super Glue  (Read 9191 times)

mick

• Full Mayhemer
Super Glue
« on: April 23, 2006, 11:17:04 pm »

I am building the Robbe U47, has anyone experienced problems when using CA glue, breathing difficulities etc,. I have tried using a mask, with the same result. Would welcome some advice.

ron h

Re: Super Glue
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 11:41:23 pm »

You should use it in a well ventilated room, depends what mask you are using, it does have Cyanide in it, goes to your head, can make you feel a little rough. ron h

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 12:06:25 am »

Hello Mick. Reference your breathing problems and superglue. This stuff is very nasty, it contains isocyanates which, if inhaled repeatedly, will cause constriction of the airway.. you are obviously experiencing this and should avoid it from here on in. If you have only just begun to experience this problem and lay off using it, it may subside. Although this stuff smells awful, the isocyanates are actually odourless so never use this glue without adequate ventilation.
Continued exposure will set up a an allergy which will result in your sense of smell disapearing, continuous coughing and a sore chest coupled with a stuffed and runny nose, this can go on for weeks if not dealt with so if you are experiencing these symptoms, go and see your doctor. I have first hand experience of this as I am now allergic to the stuff since building the new Type2d. I used it extensively when building the plug for the mould and worked in a closed environment. The fumes made my eyes stream and were unbreathable but after a while became more bearable.. this is the point at which the olifactory system starts to shut down and you no longer begin to smell it but the damage is being done. The doctor may recommend you use an inhaler to clear the problem up but you will find you may be allegic to it afterwards.
 ?

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 12:13:23 am »

PS MIck, A mask won,t cut it with this stuff. I dont like to be alarmist but my experience was a bad one.
Best regards.. Chris

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 08:12:32 am »

I also found I am allergic to standard superglue, one decent whiff and I have acute hayfever type symptoms for 3 days. If I have to use the stuff I either do it outdoors or set everything up, take a deep breath, do the deed and run!

However, I find I CAN use the odourless type without problems. This usually only comes in one level of thickness but and tends to be pricey but it's better than nothing. If I were you I would try the odourless type. It's obviously a nuisance if you can't use cyanoycrylate but these days there are plenty of alternatives, they just aren't "instant". With all glues, except the inert ones,ensure you have good ventilation.

mick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 10:12:22 am »

Hello Ron,Chris and Colin, thank you for your advice, I have had a uncomfortable few days, head and chest cold etc. I will avoid CA for awhile. I do use an inhaler for a long standing chest/lung  problem. I have been building models for many years without these difficulities.
I guess CA is so easy to use you do not expect a problem. You are correct Chris,the masks do not work. Never mind, I am enjoying the U47 build, a very good kit, from Model World. Thanks again lads.

marshall

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 06:51:51 pm »

Hi Mick and others,
Yes there is a mask that one can get, it is made by 3M, the code is 4251. I am a boat builder by trade and work with some nasty stuff, this mask shouldl protect you, I have been useing it for years with no effect to my health, the one draw back, very expensive.
Best regards
Marshall

mick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 10:34:58 pm »

Thanks for the info, ref  M3 mask, after the last few days gasping for breath, anything worth a try, if I can afford model boats I can afford a suitable mask.

Dave Leishman

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 10:49:15 pm »

Hi Mick and others,
Yes there is a mask that one can get, it is made by 3M, the code is 4251. I am a boat builder by trade and work with some nasty stuff, this mask shouldl protect you, I have been useing it for years with no effect to my health, the one draw back, very expensive.
Best regards
Marshall

I strongly agree with the above post and couldn't promote the use of this mask more if I tried! It's the most comfortable and unobtrusive mask I've ever used and is extremely effective at completely blocking organic vapours including spray paints, glues and epoxy resins.

They're available from Screwfix online at around ?15 each.
Link to mask on Screwfix

I'm not involved with either 3M or Screwfix - I just really like this mask :)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 11:04:06 pm »

I'm interested. How long does it last? Is it indefinite or does it have a prescribed shelf life? Can you wear it when drawing out cash from banks?

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 11:10:35 pm »

I've not heard of these, if its a full face job perhaps its worth fifteen quid as a Christmas pressy for the mother in law!!

Dave Leishman

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2006, 11:17:35 pm »

I'm interested. How long does it last? Is it indefinite or does it have a prescribed shelf life? Can you wear it when drawing out cash from banks?

Many moons ago when I was a welder in the Esso refinery down here in the South we used to use them to protect against welding fumes, chemical nasties and other industrial tasks.

They'd last a few weeks in that environment, but the one I have here at home I've had for around a year. It's been through the complete build of a Model Slipway Aziz including dust protection (rubbing fibreglass hull down), epoxy filler protection (P-38 - completely filters the fumes), glueing of various sorts and spray painting (compressor and humbrol paints and varnish). It's looking a little 'off-white' now, but I expect there's still some life left in it. :)

Even if I only get one build per mask though, it's only ?15 per model and that's a small price when you examine the filters and see what could be getting into your lungs!

Oh, and I wear glasses and the mask doesn't get in the way of those and as the filters are flat to the face your vision isn't obstructed either!

Oh...and if you want to take your chances near a bank while wearing it let me know first and I'll make sure I watch the news that night ;)

mick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 11:12:37 am »

Hello Dave, thanks for the reply, I will order the mask today.

Just a point of interest, I 'cocked-up' the WTC rear cover on my U47, drilled the plastic wall 'out' on the prop shaft hole, emailed Robbe, ordered a replacement,arrived today, five days later, 6.57 euro, the build continues.....     

marshall

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 08:13:38 pm »

Hi Mick and others,
Please note, this is not a "dust" mask, only a vapour mask, you can get a paper filter that fits over the front to filter out dust, or just use a dust mask for that job,
Marshall

Dave Leishman

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 09:18:53 pm »

Hi Mick and others,
Please note, this is not a "dust" mask, only a vapour mask, you can get a paper filter that fits over the front to filter out dust, or just use a dust mask for that job,
Marshall

Correct, although as the purpose of a mask is to filter and as dust particles are larger than organic vapour particles then it stands to reason the mask will also block those - the paper filter is to prevent the main filter becoming clogged with larger dust particles.

However, using it as a dust mask will severely shorten the life of the mask and at ?15 a piece compared to a few pence for a dust mask the economics are against it ;)

mick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2006, 11:12:42 pm »

Ok Dave, I have located this mask on 'Screwfix', ?20 with post and packing. I will only use the mask when applying CA type glue. This super glue is ideal for plastics, ABS, fast grab and very secure. Stabilit is expensive, so the mask will be worth the cost, plus my health comes first in all things.

Anyone else building the Robbe U47?

Thanks again for all advice, well received.

magpie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Subs Rock
    • magpieyachts
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2006, 02:28:28 pm »

Ok Dave, I have located this mask on 'Screwfix', ?20 with post and packing. I will only use the mask when applying CA type glue. This super glue is ideal for plastics, ABS, fast grab and very secure. Stabilit is expensive, so the mask will be worth the cost, plus my health comes first in all things.

Just built one. It's all on my site at? http://magpieyachts.com/building7.html
Jason
"Where's the sub gone?"
http://magpieyachts.com

mick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2006, 04:29:29 pm »

Thanks Jason, I have your U47 build saved in my  'Favorites'. I take a look now and then to make sure I am proceeding okay. The Robbe construction notes are fine if followed closely and in order. I managed to drill through the side wall in the rear cover, and drilled the valve hole oversize, then found the valve amendment in the instructions. Robbe sent a replacement rear cover. As you can see I have had a real problem when using CA, I am hoping the M3 mask works. Mick

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2006, 11:06:57 am »

Theres a write up here too http://www.marinerc.net/submarines/u47_construction.htm

mick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2006, 10:32:49 pm »

Result, I received my M3 face mask from Screwfix, I have used it a number of times while using CA, the mask works well. No sign of breathing problems, no smell from the glue. Problem solved, thanks for all the advice. Well worth the cost.

Dave Leishman

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2006, 11:08:46 pm »

Result, I received my M3 face mask from Screwfix, I have used it a number of times while using CA, the mask works well. No sign of breathing problems, no smell from the glue. Problem solved, thanks for all the advice. Well worth the cost.

Great! Glad you can get back to sticking your fingers together now ;D

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2006, 11:42:33 pm »

Great news Mick, I wish I had known about these at the time of building my last boat..Best regards.. Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 22 queries.