Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are some ESC's and Receivers factory matched?  (Read 2612 times)

Nige52

Are some ESC's and Receivers factory matched?
« on: June 28, 2009, 06:29:02 pm »

Can somebody help me here?
I bought a Fiberglass RTR boat with a brushed motor, an inclusive esc, 27mhz AM radio and receiver etc. It works fine and I programmed the esc first time out. I also have another boat that's just minus an ESC, so I unplugged the one I have and set it up in the 2nd boat, this boat uses a Futaba 27mhz AM receiver, so I thought there'd be no problems in programming the ESC to work in there.
Wrong.
The ESC will simply not program regardless of how the Tx is set up, I've swapped channels, reversed servos, crossed my fingers and said 3 hail Marys but the ESC is simply not responding to the receiver (The rudder works fine)
The instructions say to depress the micro switch with the throttle at neutral, the esc flashes, then you put it on full throttle and depress the micro switch again, the esc OUGHT to flash then the red led should stay solid, which it does on the original boat, but not on this Futaba receiver, the led will flash for as long as you have the micro switch pressed down, but that's it, it just flashes and does absolutely nothing. So is it possible that this ESC is factory matched to the receiver and won't work with anything else? All Chinese I suspect.....

Thanks for any help

Nige

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Are some ESC's and Receivers factory matched?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 06:39:13 pm »

What make of ESC is it?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Nige52

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 06:44:55 pm »

Bob,
I have no idea, there is no name at all on it but here is a photo. The boat is a Hobby Engine Swordfish...

Thanks
Nige

stallspeed

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 08:04:52 pm »

ESCs and receivers are not factory matched but there are well known voltage compatibility issues with aftermarket equipment.

It is most likely the signal (white wire) from receiver to the esc is not being picked up.

If with the model of the Futaba receiver is known along with the supply voltage and the minimum signal voltage that the esc picks up.

A similar problem happens when you use some non Futaba servos and new alkaline and 5-cell receiver packs with Futaba receivers.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 09:06:18 pm »

You may need to put a battery pack onto the receiver, might help, but Futaba are renowned for being fickle with anything other than their matched receiver's / servo's
 :-)
Steamed up all the time

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 11:42:30 am »

In the new setup, does the steering servo work?  If the RX is not giving an output, the ESC will likely just sit there looking back at you.  I take it that the ESC is the gold box under the black RX in the picture, and thus really a separate item.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Nige52

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 01:39:42 pm »

Yes, when connected, the rudder servo works fine, it's just the throttle programming that does nothing. I've even tried using a separate receiver pack and disconnecting the red wire from the esc with no change.

Sorry for the bad photo, what you see in there is the factory receiver sitting on top of the gold ESC (Which I know is a bad thing, but it's from the shops adverts) I've just taken this photo showing trying to get the ESC working in a Robbe Piranhia

As I say, it'll program using the Hobby Engine supplied receiver, but not with this Futaba..... :-)

stallspeed

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 02:24:04 pm »

It is likely that you have an esc that requires > 3 volt pulses on the white or orange wire.If so the esc will work with some receivers,but not all makes or models.
It sould be ok with a Futaba bec receiver.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.