Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Skirmisher  (Read 14195 times)

Wasyl

HMS Skirmisher
« on: July 09, 2009, 05:25:22 pm »

Hi all whilst doing my early browse on ebay,i came accross this beauty,i,d been searching for something like this for ages, and lucky for me, it had a buy it now,so i did,hopefully i,ll be able to collect it at the weekend, :-) :-)

Wullie

andygh

Re: HMS Skirmisher
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 02:13:48 am »

Nice, built one of those 20 odd years ago, it's now awaiting refurb in the garage  :-))

linux

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 05:30:47 pm »

I have never seen a photograph of HMS Sentinel or HMS Skirmisher in Victorian livery. They were both completed in 1905, by which time gray had become standard.

Wasyl

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 11:45:44 pm »

Just because you,ve never seen one in this livery,does,nt mean that its not right,I,ve never seen a Pink Panther, but you do get them, %%

Wullie

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 09:29:26 am »

HMS Skirmisher was definitely grey.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Dreadstar

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 10:23:23 am »

Having said that,she does look good in the Victorian scheme.(Artistic licence perhaps) ok2

Tom@Crewe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 09:03:58 am »

Linux is correct, the Victorian colour schemes were stopped in 1902, twelve months after Queen Victoria's death and so a true scale model would be overall grey if of a period after 1902.

How ever if a modeller wants to paint his model any other way thats up to them as quoted 'Poetic Licence' (each to their own) but becomes a model boat

So HMS Skirmisher is overall Gray in this instance for a true scale model

So who is doing HMS Daring in victorian colours?

Tom@Crewe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 09:08:45 am »

By the way a 'Pink Panther' He He

Roger in France

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 11:00:58 am »

All the contributions above are, of course, correct. However, the Victorian Livery was impressive but I guess expensive to apply and maintain.

I have an interest in HMS Kent of that era as my great uncle died (1910) while serving on her. I have evidence of her in the Victorian Livery and, later, in drab grey. I also have photographs recording her refit from forward swept bow to straight and after having her side casements removed. But all the romance has gone!

One of my most cherished photographs is an internal shot of the sick ward at Christmas. However, I have no way of telling if one of the several sailors pictured was my great uncle.

Roger in France

linux

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 06:49:23 pm »

I have evidence of her in the Victorian Livery ...

Do you have a photograph of HMS Kent in Victorian livery? I have never seen one!

Or are you referring to the painting "H.M.S. Kent Passing South Sand Lightship" by Charles Dixon?

Unfortunately this painting was published in 1901, the year HMS Kent was launched and 2 years before she was completed. So the colour scheme can only be regarded as speculative.

That said, there do exist photographs of HMS Bedford in Victorian livery, running trials in 1903 sans armament.

Wasyl

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 12:07:52 am »

To all the Nit-pickers,Rivetcounters,erm Purist,who have stuck their tuppence worth in,Model Boats,True to Scale,or,stand off models, whatever takes your fancy,me i like them all,but i,m not a nitpicker,oops I mean purist, {-), and looking at the Kent in its Victorian livery does make it look far better than good old battleship grey,the same applies to my Skirmisher,had she been in B,grey she,d still be sitting in weegie land somewhere,i bought her cause she looked nice,and she was bought as a model boat,cause after all, thats what they all are,pure and simple,their just boats,in different shapes and sizes,just loads of different materials stuck together,that give us all a great deal of pleasure,
A True to scale, is like my wife,s love of Royal Doulton figurines,they are just Ornaments,with great big signs ,that say,Please do not Touch,
but,give me a model boat anytime,

Wullie,
perhaps i,d better wear my hard hat for tomorrow {-) {-)

Wasyl

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 11:49:56 am »

Hi, guys,having trawled the wide web looking for pics of the Skirmisher, in her Victorian livery,i should have perhaps started with Deans Marine,s web site,instead of going there last,
but i feel a little vindicated,as on there web site,they show The Skirmisher,and the Sentinal, in,,,,,Victorian Livery,Now why would they do that?
I,m sure Deans Marine do a lot of research before they decide to bring out a model,and here is their official pic,so it would appear that we are all right {-)

Wullie

samuel15g

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 12:23:14 pm »

I belive HMS Kent was also painted in white for "China Station"

Regards

Terry H

Roger in France

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 01:15:38 pm »

Linux may well be right. The "evidence" I have is the very illustration he quotes and so I could well be wrong.

I do have some documentation which is a truly excllent 81 page history of "The Ninth HMS Kent - 1900 to 1920" which the author. Ray Treloar of Maidstone, Kent, kindly sent me. In his well illustrated and comprehensive treatise there is no evidence that Kent was ever in Victorian Livery.

Roger in France

andygh

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 01:21:08 pm »

Is there evidence that she wasn't?  ok2

Wasyl

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 01:24:04 pm »

HMS Skirmisher was definitely grey.
Well according to Deans Marine,she,s in her Victorian colours,see pic  further down,Deans must have got that pic from somewhere,

Wullie

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 02:42:31 pm »

From the book, Rule Britannia: The Victorian and Edwardian Navy by Peter Padfield, and I quote.

"Grand though this Navy was, its decorative and placid aspects didn’t long survive Victoria’s death. Jackie Fisher’s response to Germany’s ambitious warship-building programme changed the Royal Navy’s strategy, ships and men. Fisher was a pugnacious ‘materialist’, the term for the lobby inside the Navy which believed that superior technology would always win the day. Battleships of unprecedented speed, gun-power and armour slid down the slipways of the Clyde, Tyne and Solent. In 1902, every ship was painted a durable grey from waterline to mast-tip. In 1907, every sailor was issued with a ready-made uniform."

Skirmisher was built when ? er -------------I know, 1905.

Wasyl

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 03:08:12 pm »

BUT........where did Deans Marine get that colour scheme from,and I wonder how many Grey Skirmisher,s are there out there,since i bought mine, ive seen 2 more,and not a grey among them,

Wullie

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2009, 03:27:57 pm »

Deans give three colour scheme options, Victorian, China Station and Grey. I think the first two are wishful thinking as Skirmisher and sister ship Sentinel were completed in 1905 by which time, as has already been said, RN ships in home waters were painted grey and I would doubt if either of these vessels ever served on the China station. In fact there is a photo of Sentinel as completed in 1905 in Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships which shows Sentinel in grey livery.

Manufacturers exist to sell kits and obviously Victorian livery makes the ship look more attractive so I think Deans have just bent the rules a bit here. They are not alone. My Caldercraft Cumbrae pilot vessel has had a bit added to the beam to make it more stable. I suspect you fill find that quite a lot of kits have had various compromises made to make them look or work better. They don't usually pretend to be exact scale.

Colin

snowwolflair

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2009, 03:31:06 pm »

I suspect there is a builders model of her in a museum somewhere in the Victorian colours and that is where they have come from.

Wasyl

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2009, 04:13:38 pm »

I prefer it in the Victorian Livery,and as said before, I don,t like ornaments,

Wullie

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2009, 04:36:57 pm »

Most of mine are grey and they aint ornaments.

Wasyl

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2009, 05:50:39 pm »

{-) {-) {-) {-)

Wullie,

Tom@Crewe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2009, 07:17:30 pm »

In my club and here on the forum there are lots of modellers and types of model, I’m sure you all know how long a list could be made.

Yes I like to build my boats as accurate as possible, the posts here about Skirmisher being grey (or not). And I do like the Victorian scheme.

On this thread no one has said that Wasyl's model has to be painted either one way or another, we all do what we do for ourselves.

But it seems to me that it’s Wasyl that has the problem with modellers that don’t agree with his view being the one who first to name call

‘To all the Nit-pickers,Rivetcounters,erm Purist,who have stuck their tuppence worth in’

Wasyl

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2009, 08:04:19 pm »

In my club and here on the forum there are lots of modellers and types of model, I’m sure you all know how long a list could be made.

Yes I like to build my boats as accurate as possible, the posts here about Skirmisher being grey (or not). And I do like the Victorian scheme.

On this thread no one has said that Wasyl's model has to be painted either one way or another, we all do what we do for ourselves.

But it seems to me that it’s Wasyl that has the problem with modellers that don’t agree with his view being the one who first to name call

‘To all the Nit-pickers,Rivetcounters,erm Purist,who have stuck their tuppence worth in’

{-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-),I wondered how long it would take,everyone else ignored my rantings,but there,s always one that takes it too seriously,and by the way,my name is Wullie,...Wasyl.is my Sunday name,and this is Thursday, %% %% {-)

Wullie,
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.