Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: krick u boat????  (Read 7137 times)

glenuk

krick u boat????
« on: July 12, 2009, 03:22:55 pm »

has any made one ??? any feed back on them ? thanks lads in advance,
glen

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: krick u boat????
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 08:45:26 pm »

You'd be better off with a Revell Type VII and a conversion kit,which will probably be cheaper, much more scale, and better designed.

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 08:57:58 am »

I saw one of these kits the other day......how anyone could make a boat out of it bewilders me. The box was full of A.B.S mouldings, naturally devoid of any detail  and given the content ,price and a quick squint at the instructions, it would take a lot of fortitude and skill. I regarded it as a boxful of very basic pastic shapes
All I can say is that if I had bought it, it would probably wind up half built, languishing in the back of the shed for years.
Someone on here, more skillful than I must have built one, their input here would be invaluable as I could pass it on to my client.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 09:30:03 am »

The Krick U boat used to be a box of wood if memory serves....!

Talking of which, I always wanted to build the Lesro Sun tug, until I went to Westbournes and found that was a box of wood 'off cuts' (but a very nice hull), the Precedent Perksa was also a box of firelighters... are these kits any better today?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 09:47:29 am »

That was the old Krick U25 kit, which was IMO a better boat than the Type VII(ish) they produce now.

The latter was first developed by HFM, and Krick must have purchased the rights to the model.

It can be made into a practical working submarine- one of the chaps who comes to my pool runs has one, and with a couple of modifications it now seems to be running fine.

However there are better models out there for the same or less money.

boat captain

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 10:38:55 am »

Hi Glen

I have built one easy build but I have not been able to sail her properly.  She needs a very delicate touch, you have to balance speed with plane angles and trying to turn submerged is nigh on impossible.  I would not recommend the kit.

Regards

Joe

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 12:55:48 pm »

A boat like the Type VII was never really designed for high speed submerged running, which is what you need for a dynamic diver.

Modern streamlined hull forms are much better suited to this type of diving.

Wasyl

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 01:56:30 pm »

I had one of these,and my mate Artur built it, and have to say,for the money,it was great value,and  contray to what others have said, i found it a very cheap way into submarines,I will admit that the hull detail is not on par with the likes of the Robbe ,or the sheerline, or Revell, but when you consider what the 1st two cost,and the Revell is a kit that has to be converted,Then the Krick is great value for money,so much so, that when i eventually sold mine i got £298 + postage for it,I,ve seen Robbe,s fetch less
The Krick that is on ebay is the U25 and it is a semi static dive, by semi i mean it has a ballast tank and pump but it will not go all the way under by just flooding the tank,it will only go down to the point where the deck is covered with water,then you have to use the hydroplanes
As for it only being made of ABS, well thats what the Robbe,s made of,i,ve incuded some pics of mine when it was completed and ?? just ask,
Wullie

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 04:25:52 pm »

Although the Revell is a conversion, the quality of the conversion kits is such that they really are as good as any other sub kit out there.

Something like Dave Merrimans/Caswell or Norbert Brueggens conversion kits are a big step up from the Krick in terms of quality. You get a full static diver with high scale fidelity, and a proper cylindrical watertight enclosure instead of a flimsy box that will be a constant headache if it's dived beyond a couple of feet.

You pays your money.......

glenuk

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 05:35:05 pm »

thnaks lads, its for a mate ...not me....i`m doing a sheerline at the mo, and the holes are driving me mad.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.