Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lights and other gizmos  (Read 16336 times)

Bee

Re: Lights and other gizmos
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2009, 08:18:16 pm »

Wasting all that energy with lights on during the day   >:-o Tut Tut. Wait 'til the Greenies hear about it and there will be a new EU regulation or ten to stop you.  :police:

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2009, 09:11:15 pm »

{-) and what about the energy needed to send an engineer on top of the mast like a monkey  {-)

Anyway now on modern ship it's mandatory to have spare navigation light with two separate network

A+ Xtian

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2009, 11:18:17 pm »

what about the use of LED navigation instillatons?  after all, LED indicators, side lights and brake lights have started to turn up on Audi's BMW's DAF's and Scanias, and maybe Volvo's too
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2009, 11:42:05 pm »

LED navigation lights are now available for yachts but they are still quite expensive. The reason is that the high intensity ones are quite directional so, for example, you need quite a lot of them arranged in a circle to provide an all white mastlight to the required power. With a car brakelight they just have to shine in one direction - backwards!

See here: http://www.ecs-marine-equipment.co.uk/marine-equipment/search-led-navigation-lights-index.html

Having said that I think that is where the future lies as the power consumption is so much less than incandescent bulbs.

Colin

Malcolm Reade

« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2009, 06:22:22 am »

LED navigation lights are now available for yachts but they are still quite expensive. The reason is that the high intensity ones are quite directional so, for example, you need quite a lot of them arranged in a circle to provide an all white mastlight to the required power. With a car brakelight they just have to shine in one direction - backwards!

See here: http://www.ecs-marine-equipment.co.uk/marine-equipment/search-led-navigation-lights-index.html

Having said that I think that is where the future lies as the power consumption is so much less than incandescent bulbs.

Colin

The same principles apply to LED's for model boats.  All of our working lights use LED's - they are much more economical in their use of electrical power and are much more reliable than the old Grain Of Wheat filament type lamps - both important factors when choosing lighting for a model.  LED lighting technology is developing exponentially.

Malc

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2009, 10:00:00 am »

Hello

... and are much more reliable than the old Grain Of Wheat filament type lamps

20 years ago I used to have a model with light installed but some time later one of the grain of wheat burn, I've replaced it by destroying a part of the mast, then one year later another of this light burn and I've stopped to light my models !

Now as everybody said that LED are reliable I've just started again to light a tug with LED and it work's well !   

A+ Xtian

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2009, 10:03:01 am »

I have led's for rear lights on my Mazda , really bright from the rear but not a lot when you move round to the side .
If every one fitted led's to their model instead of GOW's (fillament) then the beurocrats would have to praise us for our environmentaly friendlyness  O0  :-)) .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2009, 02:21:30 pm »

I have led's for rear lights on my Mazda , really bright from the rear but not a lot when you move round to the side .
If every one fitted led's to their model instead of GOW's (fillament) then the beurocrats would have to praise us for our environmentaly friendlyness  O0  :-)) .
daz

even white LED dual beam front main and dipped headlights?
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2009, 02:49:42 pm »

If every one fitted led's to their model instead of GOW's (fillament) then the beurocrats would have to praise us for our environmentaly friendlyness     .
daz
Nah.  They'd find a way of taxing them to make up the difference.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2009, 05:41:49 pm »

All my model lights are LED...

We visited a Dutch Lifeboat in The Hauge, it had two large LED flood lights on the top
of the cabin. The skipper said that the LED lamp "ballast" were good, but interfered with
radio communication when turned on...

PeterS

« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2009, 03:48:50 pm »

Hi

Maybe they're using a PWM (pulse width modulation) to regulate the current consumtion of LED.
(With that estimated power, linear regulation ist not effective)

Ok, all distributed electrical parts should be confirm with CE, GS, VDE, ... etc.. etc...

IMHO, radio on sea is on the lower band. Let's say, PWM of the LED is at ~5kHz.
Well, some harmonics here and there...
I could believe that interference

Bevore I've done some corrections, you could hear the glowing of floodlights at the booster of my foghorn.
thats nearly the same

Pete

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 21 queries.