Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help needed on wire  (Read 8876 times)

Telstar

Re: Help needed on wire
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2006, 02:02:53 pm »

Roy
Your rainbow cable is my ribbon cable. It is is available up to 30 wires wide, and is also available in grey, makes it less conspicuous

Tom

flag-d

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2006, 02:57:01 pm »

To connect removeable superstructure cabling, I use a set (male+female) of 9 pin D-type connectors.  Also handy as there's just enough resistance to hold the s/s in place.  I do like the idea of those metal tubes and rods though.

Mike

OMK

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2006, 05:58:04 pm »

For what it's worth, 2772e's question regarding thin guage wire, another possible solution could be the wire robbed from an old relay. On the upside it's thin, flexible, insulated and okay for stuffing inside masts', etc. You can also get miles of the stuff from old loudspeakers. Over here we call it enamel wire -- our Stateside cousins call it magnet wire, (right, Doc?). On the downside it's somewhat delicate and too puny for heavy loads. But if it's a case of running just the odd LED or ten - or in 2772e's case, a mast light - it works fine.

And while you're on the subject of connectors...
I struggled trying to figure an easy way to swap my Rx between boats without the usual hassle of plugging/unplugging all the connections. A 25-pin computer 'D' plug/socket was pressed into service. The attached photo shows said connector directly beneath the receiver. Ribbon cables are soldered from the appropriate pins to each and every servo and rc switch, etc. And although neatly glued and running parallel and ship-shape, I'm not entirely happy with the end result. A lot of work and a steady hand is needed with the soldering iron and if anything should go belly-up it's not so easy to repair without recourse to even more lots of work. In the end I abandoned the idea in favour of simply buying another Rx.
Maybe some of you with more noodle than I could adapt the same idea for better uses? After all, 'D' plug/sockets are dirt cheap and 25 pins gives you loads of scope for plenty of add-ons.
On the other hand, regarding the connections from the ship's interior to the super-structure, a bog-standard jack plug/socket  has proved the best so far. If you squint you can just make out the 3.5mm jack in the photo (it's partially obscuring the Rx). This is the jack from the R/C switch which mates with a 3.5mm socket on the s/s, which feeds the cabin lights.

I'm outta here before you paranoid lot accuse me of waffling.

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2006, 06:21:22 pm »

I hate people who produce such nice tidy set-ups.   Although they work, mine always look like birds nests.   I am just jealous, of course.   Pete
I`m not just old, I`m ancient

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Sea Shall Not Have Them
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2006, 06:43:14 pm »

Thanks Chaps,

In the end i found alarm wire broken down into single strands did the job at about 0.97mm.

As far as the connections are concerned, after a post concerning magnet connectors i ordered 1/2 a dozen to give them ago. They do the job fantastically, and keep the superstructure in situ, no wires. And at only 70p for a pair very cheap.

Thanks again to the Forum for advise and to Action for the connectors.

I will try and Post picture later

Regards

Simon
 ;D ;D
Rubbin is Racin!

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2006, 06:58:19 pm »

Magnet Pictures. Tidy is necessary!
 ;)
Rubbin is Racin!

OMK

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2006, 04:24:59 am »

Nice pictures, Simon.
But what's with the tubing around both motors? I mean, it's obviously a cooling system, but how does it work? Do those motors get THAT hot, then?

You work is excellent. VERY tidy!

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2006, 09:08:28 pm »

Why, thank you Mr PMK.

The cooling tubes are from the old torpedo 850's i had, i thought they might handle the abuse of 18 volts better if they were cooled. How wrong was i, went up in smoke!

The motors are rated for 22,000 rpm and 20 volts and have a built in cooling fan, i thought, as i already had the tubes might as well keep them, lower heat = more power/run time. I have yet to put this too the test as the combination of motors/volts/props/esc was only sorted at the last outing and then the battery's went flat.

I prefer the vacuum version in the bottom of the hull, one pick, 2 small holes in front of each other, up along side each tube. Allot less drag and i find more efficient than the picks ups that sit in the prop wash. Discreet/cheap and effective. I also use one to cool a esc on another boat.

Have not had a chance to get out since then.

Regards

Simon
Rubbin is Racin!

OMK

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2006, 12:08:11 am »

So would I be right in thinking that the spinning of the motors causes a sort of syphon/pump action? If you see what I'm saying.
It's a clever idea. I've seen it used on IC boats, but I didn't realise it would work on electrics'.

You've obviously got good aptitude for neatness. Them pictures show the sort of quailty that I'm still striving for.

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2006, 10:09:28 pm »

PMK

I think you might be a little confused with regards to the water cooling pipes seen in the photo'.

Usually, on the bottom of the hull will be a scoop, usually in close proximity to the prop, and water is forced into the ooling tube by the thrust from the prop and forward  motion of the boat. This is the most common form of water cooling.

Now if Simon will please explain his vacuum method I would be most grateful....and yes, you are tidy

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2006, 10:27:05 pm »

Thanks again for the compliments.

The water pick up is commercially available and whilst it has the same effect as the scoop in the prop wash i do not like them. Just preference.

Drill two holes one in front of the other in the hull about 3mm wide, along side the prop shaft and stick the small plastic pick up, screw it in and forget it. There is a small fence/barrier between first and second hole, this gives the effect of the vacuum/ sucking the air and then water through as the hull travels through the water. The drag is minimal and the faster the boat the more water cooling.

External picture enclosed. 

The unit is made by Robbe (i think) and i have purchased them through Hobbystores, and about four quid each.

I use one for each engine on my RTL and one for the motor and esc in the MTB.

;)
Rubbin is Racin!

OMK

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2006, 11:00:27 pm »

Thanks, Grasshopper. You're right - a bit confoozled I am.
I get the gist of what you're saying regarding the scoop idea. But in Simon's case I can't see how the water would get sucked up the tube in the first place. The words action and capillary spring to mind. So would that have anything to do with it? And if so, how?

In return for your know-how, here are tomorrow's winning lottery numbers...

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2006, 11:13:45 pm »

My system is obvious, forward motion plus prop thrust, forces water up the scoop, through the tube, round the motor and out via the exit (above the waterline)

This vacuum method.....so the two holes are in line with the direction of travel, there's a small dam / fence between front and rear hole.
This means that the drag caused by the fence creates the vacuum and sucks at the rear hole, drawing water up the front hole - easy really,  and 'dam' clever -  sounds like it could make you eyes water tho'......sorry...I'll fetch me coat.

Now about these numbers....

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2006, 11:41:00 pm »

Now, now gentlemen. I dont thing this is the right forum for sucking through the back hole and water in the front. Or has all that glue, solder and paint casused me to log onto something accidently!

::) ::)
Rubbin is Racin!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.