Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW BRIGHTON SCENE (seen at New Brighton)  (Read 7499 times)

Langsford

NEW BRIGHTON SCENE (seen at New Brighton)
« on: August 05, 2009, 06:06:52 pm »

Having admired the "Kirklees Hall of Fame" for a long time, I thought it might be of interest to members to see what is happening at New Brighton.
We are to lose our lake as part of a redevelopment project, which will place a new supermarket on the New Brighton waterfront!!!!!!!!!!! We have been told that a new boating lake will be provided, probably before the present one is removed!
Anyway, the lake was busy today as we had some sunshine so I will attach a couple of shots from the scene.
What better to start with than the Mersey Ferry "Royal Iris" which has been featured in this months "Model Boats". This is a super model and has attracted a lot of attention from the public. There is music playing as on the real thing and many people have remarked that they remember sailing on her both as a river cruise vessel and as a ferry. I travelled to and from Liverpool oh her for many years during my working life.

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
Re: NEW BRIGHTON SCENE (seen at New Brighton)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 11:27:06 pm »

Langsford, on RCgroups there are a few club blog threads, ("hansen dam irregulars", "montgomery mbc", "westport mayhem" to name 3), why not turn this into a weekly blog
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 11:29:08 pm »

tis a nice boat as well
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

ZZ56

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 02:45:54 am »

Looks like a nice model there.  Is that the funnel on top of the wheelhouse? Or does the exhaust come out of those two vertical stacks on the passenger deck?

It's a shame that you are losing your lake.  Are there a lot of model boat lakes in the UK or are they spread apart greatly?

Langsford

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 09:57:08 am »

I particularly liked this little boat ANNA 2.
I used to sail on the New Brighton boating lake over 60 years ago and it is a shame that we are losing it. Times move on and let us hope we get something just as good although I am wary of promises made these days, particularly by anything to do with supermarket development and big business.

Langsford

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 03:31:56 pm »

I have just returned from the lake. Wonderful weather today with a nice breeze which attracted the yacht owners.
Couldn't resist the pic of the young owner though!!!!!

Langsford

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 03:33:01 pm »

This must be worth a close up. :-)

Langsford

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 10:21:30 pm »

The Waterloo and Vital Spark were seen on the lake today.

keef666

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 08:51:32 am »

This  photo was taken after she was rebuilt and sailed back to the Mersey, the crowds lined the banks of the river in their thousands,
 yeah !  your right its a trick photo, and not a very good one at that, i did it last year, and barry who built the model was going to send it to the local newspaper for a april fools prank,
 but they replied we don't do them anymore as it upsets our readers, which is sad, we all need a bit of fun and smiles now and then,

Langsford

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 11:43:52 pm »

This thread started because I was so impressed by the photography of Bunkerbarge and the model skills of those at Kirklees. I am still envious of both but we, at New Brighton, will keep going!

Langsford

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 11:45:12 pm »

The Royal Iris can sail in difficult waters too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 12:30:35 am »

Hi Langsford, firstly many thanks for your kind words but I have to admit to having a wealth of superb models to pick from every Sunday at the pond.  Great to see you doing the same for New Brighton though and particularly interesting to see the Royal Iris again.  I did my apprentiship at Riversdale from 1975 to 1979 and then did my Seconds class certificate and then my First Class at Liverpool University so I spent a lot of time there and did a few crossings on the Iris.  Great memories of a very special time of my life and brilliant to see the ferry captured in time as a model.

Strangely enough I was thinking of you only this morning as I finally got around to starting repairs to the Joffre after her sinking.  I've stripped out the electrics apart from the motor, which actually still seems to be going strong, and that's after half an hour on the bottom!!  She will be getting very basic RC and a small battery to keep the weight down as I've given up on trying to get the ballast out of her!!  She is also going to be converted to RN use specifically as she can then sail with my Envoy and Resolve, both of which are 1/48th scale and both in RN guise.  Should make a nice fleet!  I'm still waiting for the pieces from JoTiKa to finish the repairs but there actually isn't a great deal required, repaired masts and re-rigging etc..., and she will go back together as good as new.  I'll take a shot when she goes on the water again but I think she will be going a bit slower next time.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

keef666

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 09:28:41 am »

did anyone see bbc2 show coast, on tusday 11 th aug, well if you didn't you missed 2 mins of the new brighton club on the telly, i even saw myself, lol 

cheers keith

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 09:37:33 am »

Yes - I thought it was pretty good myself.

Barrie

(Not from the NB club!)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 09:39:11 am »

Yes, I caught it. Nice to see some coverage without the disparaging "boys toys" remarks you so frequently get. I did get the impression that the film crew had asked for all the models to be sailed flat out though!

A good showcase for the hobby with some very nice boats.

Colin

Roger in France

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2009, 10:40:40 am »

I agree, good to see some decent coverage of model boats. That amount of advertising on national TV would have cost 10's of thousands. It will be interesting to see if anything comes of it. Maybe you will keep us informed?

I too thought some models were sailing rather fast!

There was also some good filming of full size shipping also.

I must say that "Coast" is a well put together programme (apart from one or two of the presenter who seem to think the viewer is as daft as they obviously are!). It is when I see programmes such as that, that I recognise just how puerile French TV can be.

Roger in France.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 10:53:19 am »

The camera at water level shots were very good.  I wonder if the play-back was cranked-up for transmission. I hope that gimmick gets binned soon, all the crowd scenes seem to do Charlie Chaplin style speed-ups these days, annoying.  It was a good plug for model boating.
..well can you land on this?

keef666

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2009, 11:10:58 am »

As for boats sailing too fast! sorry for that but our club seems to full of speed freaks, me too, but if i can remember as it was filmed 2 years ago, for most of the morning, for two minutes of airtime, i think it was cold and breezy, and if we get the wind blowing up mersey then you have to speed up to stop the wind taking you boat, but i will have to watch again to be sure, glad you liked it though,

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2009, 11:40:31 am »

On BBC Iplayer, about 24 minutes in.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00m53vj/Coast_Series_4_Anglesey_to_Blackpool/

Well done Don Morris!  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Roger in France

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2009, 07:09:31 pm »

Sadly, BBC IPlayer is unavailable to those of us not in the UK............................but we have other compensations (see my avatar!).

Luckily I saw the original broadcast.

Keef666, don't worry about all morning filming for 2 minutes exposure, it was worth it. At one time I did quite a bit of TV and radio. The time taking to record, re-record, do breakaways, mock up the interviewer looking interested etc. etc. is unbelievable, then you get 15 seconds exposure. I have even worked with a film crew for several hours only to have everything scrapped because a major news story broke!

I wonder if it is worth copying the extract and sharing it on Mayhem?

Roger in France

keef666

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2009, 11:05:34 pm »

just been informed by club member, { you know who you are, you can run!} anyway the film crew wanted the guys to run their boats quick, !!!!
er pass, don't know why, also they repeat the show on Saturday, but this week theres sport and the proms on, so never know could do it next week.
 cheers Keith

p.s how do you put these smileys on !

DARLEK1

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 11:09:17 pm »

Just like this  :-) They are above the text box, just click one and it will insert itself into your message.
 Paul... :-)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2009, 01:16:42 am »

Like so
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

keef666

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2009, 06:35:53 am »

just doing a test to see if it works,  :-))

keef666

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2009, 06:36:56 am »

hey it works, thanks guys
 cheers keith
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.